Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition

124»

Comments

• AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 171
    A quick heads-up: I've now had multiple reports of crashes in particular parts of the game for players using the Mac client for EE. The crashes seem to be happening in areas built with Adam Miller's Mountain tileset, as described in this thread on the Vault. It seems to be Mac specific, since it isn't happening on Windows. The crashes are hard, and making it difficult for players to continue without a workaround.

I'm going to create a simple test module and hak with one area that uses that tileset. If I can confirm reports of the same error on it, then I'll follow up by submitting a bug report to Beamdog.

I’m pleased to share a newly created page featuring video clips from my Sanctum of the Archmage game modules for Neverwinter Nights and NWN:EE:

Sanctum Game Videos Now Available!

The first half of the page contains videos from the two currently available mods, Sanctum of the Archmage: The Sight and The Quest (downloadable here from the Neverwinter Vault). The second features clips from the third module, Sanctum of the Archmage: The Miracle Worker, currently in development.

The Sanctum modules are highly story-based games that emphasize plot, world building, dialogue, and character interaction. In addition to being teasers for the saga and its novels, these scenes are intended to showcase my skills as a writer, storyteller, and RPG designer.

Scenes from Sanctum of the Archmage Chapters 1 and 2: The Sight and The Quest (Currently Available)
    ThePicnic-1024x576.jpg

Scenes from Sanctum of the Archmage Chapter 3: The Miracle Worker (In Development)
    MidlandInnNight-1024x576.jpg

EekanImpIseweinGusinda
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 264
    That abbey / palazzo (?) looks gorgeous! Somewhat haunted yet alluring. Great to hear work on the Miracle Worker is proceeding.

AndarianZaxares
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,131
    Have to agree with Isewein there. I'm getting major (and awesome) Ravenloft vibes just looking at it. :D

Andarian
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 137
    Yah, friend @Andarian, those are some spooky-cool good looking shots!

Andarian
  • I couldn't find what is the intended level to start the module with and around which level it ends ? Can anyone answer that ?
    Thanks by advance !

Andarian
    edited January 17
    Thanks for your interest, Battle2104_Ecthelion! "Sanctum of the Archmage" consists of two modules: The Sight (Chapter 1) and The Quest (Chapter 2). It is designed for single player only, starting a new, first level character, which should advance to level 9-10 by the end of Chapter 2.

And thanks for the kind comments, all! The second image is of the Midland Inn, a gathering place for travelers in the center of the land where Chapter 3 takes place: the the southern reaches of the Kingdom of Rayche. It's built with Sixesthrice's fabulous Wild Woods tileset, the same one I used to re-make the woods in the beginning of The Sight for the EEv5.0 release. There's some more on it here and here.

edited May 3
    A note to Linux and Mac players: based on this report (see this comment and the bug report it links to), there's a known bug in the Mountain tilesets that Sanctum use that seems to be causing crashes on Linux. Since this is consistent with some of the reports I've seen from Mac players as well, I'm assuming this is also a problem with the Mac client.

Now that I know about this, I should be able to take steps to patch Sanctum's "top hak" to fix it. I'm not sure when I'll get time to do this (things are understandably crazy right now!), but it's on my list. I'll follow up here once I have.

Post edited by Andarian on
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 120
    Hey Andarian, giving your module a second try. This time the riverbed cutscene gets stuck. After spending 5 minutes watching the beautiful forest, I have to give up and Ctrl+Alt+Del. This is happening on Win7 with the very latest stable build.

@Grymlorde , thanks for the feedback! Before you conclude there's an game bug there, though, check out this set of comments on my module page. Another player discovered that it's possible for that cutscene to look like it's stuck or frozen when it isn't, since you're supposed to temporarily lose control of your character there.

The cutscene takes a little under 30 seconds to run you up to a cliff wall, and then ends. If you're in an overhead camera mode then with all the new foliage it can be difficult to see what's going on, or to realize that the cutscene is actually progressing normally. That's something I should probably fix by bringing the cutscene camera up tighter on the player the next time I do an update.

I'd try it again (maybe after temporarily changing to driving camera mode to see things better) to check if that's the issue. If you still haven't gotten control of your character when they stop moving (~30 seconds after the area transition and the chase music starts), then let me know. I haven't had time to revisit the mod with any of the recent engine updates, and I need to set aside some time to do that in any case.

Thanks again for the feedback -- Andarian

• GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 120
    [SOLVED] I solved the issue by clearing out my override directory. I tried to isolate the offending override but there is none. I suspect that what is happening it that the module is packed to the gills with custom content and that a limit is being hit. I can't be sure what the exact amount is; whether it is the # of files or the amount of texture memory, or something else. I also suspect that Six Thrice's Wildlands tilesets has some memory issues (from my own usage as well). Long story short, I suggest putting an advisory to the effect that you've put in a ton of beautiful custom content and to use overrides and patch-haks at our own risk.

An additional suggestion is that for a future release, to empty out the palette of all custom content that will not be spawned, e.g. placeables. Between CEP and Q, there is a metric ton of placeables. Once you've put them in the module, you don't need them in the palette anymore. I know from experience that it reduces the size of the module. It may also reduce the chances of hitting the resource limit and getting weirdness like the cutscene issue I had.

A third suggestion is since you've customized Q, there's an opportunity to dump duplicate content. For example, there's a significant amount of overlap between sanctum_ee and the saq_ haks. And between bodyrebuild and saq15_race. You've got many of the same 2da files in sanctumpatch_ee, sanctum_qcep_top, and saq15_2da. In my own modules, I've eliminated some weirdness by removing duplicates. Theoretically we should be able to overwrite assets multiple times, but in actual practice I've found it to be less than consistent.

So these are just suggestions, take them for what they're worth. In the meantime I'll continue to play Sanctum 1 and see how it goes.

Andarian
    edited May 18
    Grymlorde, thanks for your suggestions. They're all good observations on the amount of cleanup I would have liked more time to do on the last update. I did have warnings at some point that the mod isn't supported with any override content installed; I'll look over the documentation to make sure that's still clearly called out.

I'm glad that you're able to play now, though, and looking forward to your feedback. :)