Skip to content

Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition

124»

Comments

• AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    A quick heads-up: I've now had multiple reports of crashes in particular parts of the game for players using the Mac client for EE. The crashes seem to be happening in areas built with Adam Miller's Mountain tileset, as described in this thread on the Vault. It seems to be Mac specific, since it isn't happening on Windows. The crashes are hard, and making it difficult for players to continue without a workaround.

I'm going to create a simple test module and hak with one area that uses that tileset. If I can confirm reports of the same error on it, then I'll follow up by submitting a bug report to Beamdog.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    That abbey / palazzo (?) looks gorgeous! Somewhat haunted yet alluring. Great to hear work on the Miracle Worker is proceeding.
    AndarianZaxaresNotabarbiegirl
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Have to agree with Isewein there. I'm getting major (and awesome) Ravenloft vibes just looking at it. :D
    Andarian
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Yah, friend @Andarian, those are some spooky-cool good looking shots!
    Andarian
  • I couldn't find what is the intended level to start the module with and around which level it ends ? Can anyone answer that ?
    Thanks by advance !
    Andarian
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for your interest, Battle2104_Ecthelion! "Sanctum of the Archmage" consists of two modules: The Sight (Chapter 1) and The Quest (Chapter 2). It is designed for single player only, starting a new, first level character, which should advance to level 9-10 by the end of Chapter 2.

And thanks for the kind comments, all! The second image is of the Midland Inn, a gathering place for travelers in the center of the land where Chapter 3 takes place: the the southern reaches of the Kingdom of Rayche. It's built with Sixesthrice's fabulous Wild Woods tileset, the same one I used to re-make the woods in the beginning of The Sight for the EEv5.0 release. There's some more on it here and here.
    Notabarbiegirl
    edited May 2020
    A note to Linux and Mac players: based on this report (see this comment and the bug report it links to), there's a known bug in the Mountain tilesets that Sanctum use that seems to be causing crashes on Linux. Since this is consistent with some of the reports I've seen from Mac players as well, I'm assuming this is also a problem with the Mac client.

Now that I know about this, I should be able to take steps to patch Sanctum's "top hak" to fix it. I'm not sure when I'll get time to do this (things are understandably crazy right now!), but it's on my list. I'll follow up here once I have.
    Post edited by Andarian on
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    Hey Andarian, giving your module a second try. This time the riverbed cutscene gets stuck. After spending 5 minutes watching the beautiful forest, I have to give up and Ctrl+Alt+Del. This is happening on Win7 with the very latest stable build.
    @Grymlorde , thanks for the feedback! Before you conclude there's an game bug there, though, check out this set of comments on my module page. Another player discovered that it's possible for that cutscene to look like it's stuck or frozen when it isn't, since you're supposed to temporarily lose control of your character there.

The cutscene takes a little under 30 seconds to run you up to a cliff wall, and then ends. If you're in an overhead camera mode then with all the new foliage it can be difficult to see what's going on, or to realize that the cutscene is actually progressing normally. That's something I should probably fix by bringing the cutscene camera up tighter on the player the next time I do an update.

I'd try it again (maybe after temporarily changing to driving camera mode to see things better) to check if that's the issue. If you still haven't gotten control of your character when they stop moving (~30 seconds after the area transition and the chase music starts), then let me know. I haven't had time to revisit the mod with any of the recent engine updates, and I need to set aside some time to do that in any case.

Thanks again for the feedback -- Andarian
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    [SOLVED] I solved the issue by clearing out my override directory. I tried to isolate the offending override but there is none. I suspect that what is happening it that the module is packed to the gills with custom content and that a limit is being hit. I can't be sure what the exact amount is; whether it is the # of files or the amount of texture memory, or something else. I also suspect that Six Thrice's Wildlands tilesets has some memory issues (from my own usage as well). Long story short, I suggest putting an advisory to the effect that you've put in a ton of beautiful custom content and to use overrides and patch-haks at our own risk.

An additional suggestion is that for a future release, to empty out the palette of all custom content that will not be spawned, e.g. placeables. Between CEP and Q, there is a metric ton of placeables. Once you've put them in the module, you don't need them in the palette anymore. I know from experience that it reduces the size of the module. It may also reduce the chances of hitting the resource limit and getting weirdness like the cutscene issue I had.

A third suggestion is since you've customized Q, there's an opportunity to dump duplicate content. For example, there's a significant amount of overlap between sanctum_ee and the saq_ haks. And between bodyrebuild and saq15_race. You've got many of the same 2da files in sanctumpatch_ee, sanctum_qcep_top, and saq15_2da. In my own modules, I've eliminated some weirdness by removing duplicates. Theoretically we should be able to overwrite assets multiple times, but in actual practice I've found it to be less than consistent.

So these are just suggestions, take them for what they're worth. In the meantime I'll continue to play Sanctum 1 and see how it goes.
    AndarianIsewein
    edited May 2020
    Grymlorde, thanks for your suggestions. They're all good observations on the amount of cleanup I would have liked more time to do on the last update. I did have warnings at some point that the mod isn't supported with any override content installed; I'll look over the documentation to make sure that's still clearly called out.

I'm glad that you're able to play now, though, and looking forward to your feedback. :)
    I recently became aware of and blogged about a resource that I think might be of interest to fans of my work, as well as others generally in the Neverwinter Nights community. It's an intriguing "world-building" site called World Anvil.

World Anvil on *The Sanctum*
    I’m a little concerned to hear that some people are saying Sanctum is a “wizard-only mod.” I’d like to emphasize for the record that that is not true. I worked hard to design and playtest the mods to be compatible with all the basic NWN classes, and to include content for them. To take just one example, there are several interactions that only a ranger or druid with animal empathy will ever even see.

Yes, it’s a good choice to play as a wizard. Yes, it is a good choice for spellcasters in general. No, it is not wizard-only!
    xiaoleiwenZaxaresMickMcKee
  • ArchprogrammerArchprogrammer Member Posts: 3
    A note on the crash to desktop issues for Linux (and Mac) clients. This appears to be caused by models containing names longer than 31 characters (I have only encountered this with terrains though). I'm writing this here since this is one of the more popular modules and people might be looking for a solution here.

Fixing the hakpaks manually is possible by unpacking them, finding the offending names and replacing them with an abbreviated version.
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for this. I use a Mac and had a problem with the mountain tileset which I mentioned to Andarian. Could this be the same issue?
    edited December 2021

I have a major announcement regarding the future of my writing and gaming projects.

As of last month, and after decades devoted to a "day job" that left little time for pursuing my passions for writing and game development, I have joined “The Great Resignation” and retired to become a full-time author and IP creator-entrepreneurAndarian Publishing is now a full-time business.

Here’s what that will mean for the future of the Sanctum of the Archmage novels and games. Since some of this should (I hope!) be of interest to NWN:EE community, I wanted to share it here as well.

• After nearly a decade "on the shelf," Sanctum 3 is Now Officially Back in Development. With the full title Sanctum of the Archmage: The Miracle Worker, the third and fourth modules (Mission to Rayche and Treason) will finally continue the game saga from the end of Chapter 2: The Quest. It's too early for me to predict yet when the first module will be available, but I'm hoping to be able to have it out sometime next year.
    • I’ve been invited (and agreed) to include my first two Sanctum of the Archmage modules in NWN:EE’s curated content program. I'll be starting that development effort shortly, and I hope for it to be ready sometime next year.
    • Volume One in my Sanctum of the Archmage book series, Dawn of Chaos, is in the process of being re-released as a series of novella length "episodes." Those interested in more information should be able to find it here.

For more information, please see the announcement on my website here:

A Major Announcement

Tony Andarian

edited December 2021
    Here are a couple of new screenshots from Sanctum of the Archmage 3: The Miracle Worker - Mission to Rayche, now back in development.

WildLands.jpg The Wildlands of the West Road

ResidentialDistrict.jpg Highpeak - Residential District at Night
  • Johnny_GuitarJohnny_Guitar Member Posts: 7
    A little help needed, please. I'm playing this module for the first time( i really like it so far, great job!) and i got stuck. I can't find green and blue crystals for access panel. I've searched everywhere(or atleast i think i did). Maybe i'm just a blind idiot hm
    edited March 2022
    A little help needed, please. I'm playing this module for the first time( i really like it so far, great job!) and i got stuck. I can't find green and blue crystals for access panel. I've searched everywhere(or atleast i think i did). Maybe i'm just a blind idiot hm

Spoiler Alert:
    There are intact crystals in several crawlways throughout the lower ruins: two on the "Len's Lab" level, two along the right wall in the "Secure Area East" (and also some in a trapped metal storage crate), and one on the righthand side of the Master Control room. If you're missing the green and blue crystals look for them in the Secure Area East (blue) and on the right side of the Master Control Room (green). Remember, you only need to put one full set of intact crystals in the crawlway on the left side.

Let me know if that helps, and thanks for the kind words!

- Andarian
    Andarian wrote: »

Spoiler Alert:
    There are intact crystals in several crawlways throughout the lower ruins: two on the "Len's Lab" level, two along the right wall in the "Secure Area East" (and also some in a trapped metal storage crate), and one on the righthand side of the Master Control room. If you're missing the green and blue crystals look for them in the Secure Area East (blue) and on the right side of the Master Control Room (green). Remember, you only need to put one full set of intact crystals in the crawlway on the left side.

Let me know if that helps, and thanks for the kind words!

- Andarian

Thanks! Turns out i'm just an idiot :smiley: The thing is - there's two access panel in master controll room and i thought, that i need to put 6 crystals in each panel omg. Everything is fine now.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    That's excellent news ! Glad development is picking up again.
    Here i am again in need of assistance, hope i'm not too annoying. How do i complete Beastman Quest?
    Here i am again in need of assistance, hope i'm not too annoying. How do i complete Beastman Quest?
    If you've found the Master Control Room, then you've already encountered the two Transfiguration Consoles in the Secure Area West. One of the options available from their dialogues is to apply a "transfiguration template" to an item that you first put in a chamber next to them. Either one will do.
    Use any or all of the Owlbear eggs. At least one of them is a plot item, so you won't have been able to sell it.
    Take the result to the Beastman King to complete the quest.
    Isewein wrote: »
    That's excellent news ! Glad development is picking up again.
    Thanks for the kind words, Isewein!

And thanks to everyone for their patience since my announcement! It turns out that pivoting your entire life takes an awful lot of time, effort, and preparation, even if the pivot is in the direction of eventually having more time to work on your own projects. I'm making progress, though, and should have some follow-up news soon regarding my plans for the Sanctum modules.

In the meantime, for anyone who's interested in what I've been up to and putting in place regarding that "pivot planning," I've posted a copy of my latest email newsletter online at the link below. At lot of it's about my book publishing plans, which are the first thing I've had to try to put in place, but there are what I think are a couple of other interesting tidbits in it as well.

Tony Andarian's Newsletter, The Sanctum - March 2020
    edited August 2022
    I thought this might be of interest to readers here. It’s an excellent video review by a gaming vlogger of the first book in my 𝙎𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙩𝙪𝙢 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝘼𝙧𝙘𝙝𝙢𝙖𝙜𝙚 series, 𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙤𝙨. In addition to some insightful observations about the story, he goes a bit into the tradition of fantasy-RPG inspired fiction (including Neverwinter Nights) that it grew from as well.

FBR: Prologue to Chaos & RPG Inspired Fantasy

In other news, I’ve recently finished a “wide release” of the first volume of my Sanctum of the Archmage novel series, Dawn of Chaos. (“Wide” means it’s available from all major e-book stores, not just on my website or on Amazon.) Those interested can find information about it here and here.
    In case anyone was having trouble with this, I wanted to post a quick heads-up that I just discovered and fixed a problem with the “downloads link” for the Sanctum module and tlk files. The links in the download PDF should begin working again shortly. There’s a post to my modules page with the details of what happened (short version: my ISP messed up), along with direct workaround links to use in the meantime if anyone needs them.

https://neverwintervault.org/comment/65836#comment-65836