Skip to content

Starfield - Bethesda's new IP!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrqWCkG7hY

I like the idea of a Elder Scrolls in space. Too bad Todd ''tell me lies'' Howard is behind it.

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It's fine. I prefer these monkeys to make their own IPs rather than keep ruining Fallout.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    O_Bruce said:

It's fine. I prefer these monkeys to make their own IPs rather than keep ruining Fallout.

You never miss a chance to bash Beth do you?

I think we're all guilty of falling for the "they changed it now it sucks" trope. It's just some people act way more extremist towards said changed product, and then go on to attack those who do like it. I think the idea of turning Banjo-Kazooie into a car game with Nuts and Bolts, when it was originally meant to be a real platformer and advertized as such at first, was pretty infuriating though. The same can be said for turning a CRPG into a FPS with lore inconsitencies and less choices I guess, but I don't begrudge you if you like it.

The points raised by the NMA guys are often accurate in what they're trying to say (though they also exaggerate sometimes and probably glorify the originals sometimes) but their hateful, relentless attitudes understandably draws the ire of just about everyone else and causes them to be viewed with contempt. But they won't stop or change because Western CRPG fans are going extinct and there will be no one to hold the flag of the originals high and probably partially because it's just too far gone at this point.

One of the themes of New Vegas and its DLCs (made by the guys who worked on the first two games) is the concept of letting go, which is something that they need to take to heart.
    @Fardragon I think you said you wanted a space opera rpg once or twice.
    @Vallmyr It might interest you as a fellow TES fan.

<

Never. Tis is my holy duty.

Now, I get what you are saying, I really do. My stance on the changes is that they are welcomed and very often required. However, Bethesda proved that:

1. They don't understand nor respect the license they have brought.
    2. They are taking Fallout in very wrong direction, if the differences between F3 and F4 are of any indications. F3 you can still call Fallout game, while F4 is Fallout in name only.
    3. They don't listen to criticism. I recall them outright state this in interview, that they are aware of feedback but they'll still do things their way. With the direction they took Fallout, it pictures a grim future.
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/09/29/bethesda-fan-criticisms-wont-define-what-we-do/
    Now, "fan criticism won't define what we do". Pretty much all backlash against Fallout 4 will be ignored, and since the game earned well, they'll certainly make F5 at some point and butcher it even more. It still sells.

It's good to have strong creative visons and not bending towards demands of others that easily. But not when such vision is a travesty.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Hmmmmm
    I could see myself enjoying this depending. If it leans more towards TES than Fallout (Fallout 4 specifically) I'd be happy. So lots of races (I'll prob skip if I have to play as a dirty human) and an unvoiced protagonist.
    Vallmyr said:

Hmmmmm
    I could see myself enjoying this depending. If it leans more towards TES than Fallout (Fallout 4 specifically) I'd be happy. So lots of races (I'll prob skip if I have to play as a dirty human) and an unvoiced protagonist.

Thats One of the reasons why i'm not fond of Final Fantasy. You always play as a human teenager with silly clothes and hair.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    But will it have the boring hack and slash combat of TES?
    ThacoBell said:

The more important question is: Will It have the same dumb things of Skyrim like becoming the archmage of the Magic School even if your character isn't skilled with Magic? Or become the leader of every group without issues?

ThacoBell said:

The more important question is: Will It have the same dumb things of Skyrim like becoming the archmage of the Magic School even if your character isn't skilled with Magic? Or become the leader of every group without issues?
    As a compulsive completionist, I kinda loved that.
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

It ruins the immersion though.

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

It ruins the immersion though.
    Not if nobody in the game world knows about it.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I never had trouble with it, not since the first time I saw this argument about Morrowind in 2002.
    ThacoBell said:

Doesn't matter if the rest in-universe doesn't know about it. Under no circumstances one should be able to be Archmage in a guild without knowing anything about magics. This is Bethesda-level writing, though, and their overall policy. Instead encouraging player to create multiple characters for multiple runs, they are utterly scared of player missing something or abandoning one playthrought for the favour of another.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Mixed about this. I would love a new space opera crpg, but I really hate open world games.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    O_Bruce said:

ThacoBell said:

Doesn't matter if the rest in-universe doesn't know about it. Under no circumstances one should be able to be Archmage in a guild without knowing anything about magics.
    Unless it's a science fiction game!
    In sci-fi game made by Bethesda you could be senior sciencist with lowest intelligence score possible. You could join some kind of police force, while at the same tame being leader of criminal organizaiton without any consequences whatsoever (not even making "double agent" storyline). So yeah...
    @O_Bruce Are you not required to be able to use magic in Skyrim's mage questline? I mostly played Oblivion and you definitely couldn't complete that without magic.
    edited January 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@O_Bruce Are you not required to be able to use magic in Skyrim's mage questline? I mostly played Oblivion and you definitely couldn't complete that without magic.

Skyrim is simplified compared to Oblivion. To Say nothing of Morrowind

I never had trouble with it, not since the first time I saw this argument about Morrowind in 2002.

I never managed to get to play Morrowind, but i remember reading that the guilds in that game have quite a few strict requirements.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited January 2018
    @ThacoBell you really only need one spell, the one that grants you entry, and the lady guarding the entrance teaches it to you for 30 gold. “See, I’m a Mage now! I got one spell!

EDIT: forgot about the Lesser Ward spell you learn automatically from Tolfdir. That makes two spells.
    Iirc you can complete the entry spell requirement with a scroll or a staff too. Which I guess is a kind of magic doing. But not really magic knowing.

I never managed to get to play Morrowind, but i remember reading that the guilds in that game have quite a few strict requirements.
    You could eventually lead all the guilds.
    No, you couldn't. By guilds people generally don't just mean the three guilds with guild in the name (ie Fighters', Thieves' and Mages' Guilds) but all the different factions, many which was restricted - You you can only join one political faction, one vampire clan, and iirc the two religious factions were also exclusive.

And even if we focus on just the big three, while it might be possible to eventually lead them all, it is not something that would happen during an ordinary game. It's something that would take planning and strategy to make possible because of the skill requirements for promotions.
    None of which is relevant to the thread title...
    edited January 2018
    scriver said:

No, you couldn't. By guilds people generally don't just mean the three guilds with guild in the name (ie Fighters', Thieves' and Mages' Guilds) but all the different factions, many which was restricted - You you can only join one political faction, one vampire clan, and iirc the two religious factions were also exclusive.

And even if we focus on just the big three, while it might be possible to eventually lead them all, it is not something that would happen during an ordinary game. It's something that would take planning and strategy to make possible because of the skill requirements for promotions.

You could lead all four of the actual guilds (fighter's guild, mage's guild, thieve's guild, Morag Tong). Joining a vampire clan takes you out of society until it's cured so I wouldn't even consider it relevant. I would also say that in every discussion I've ever been involved with about Morrowind that literally no one ever included the great houses or vampire clans in the category of "guilds." And I've been involved in discussions about Morrowind since 2002.

The Tribunal Temple and the Imperial Cult were not exclusive, either. You could reach the top rank in both, but the Imperial Cult's top rank was not leadership of the group. I don't remember the Tribunal Temple's rank structure very well.

As far as the great houses go, you could lead House Telvanni and the Mage's Guild, which were very antagonistic, and this was also a point of contention for some people.

By your definition, you can't join every "guild" at the same time in Skyrim, either, because you have to pick Imperial or Stormcloak, even though neither is a guild.

ANYWAY this is all pretty irrelevant to my original point, which was that people complained about the ability to lead all the guilds in Morrowind, despite the requirements. Pointing out that people couldn't join all three great houses or vampire clans doesn't change the fact that people literally did as a point of historical fact complain about this.
    Post edited by BelleSorciere on
    But a science fiction game isn't going to have a mage guild, and there is no reason for it to have any mutually exculusive organisations unless the writers choose to write it like that, and I don't see why they would, given that very few players play a game more thsn once.
    Fardragon said:

But a science fiction game isn't going to have a mage guild, and there is no reason for it to have any mutually exculusive organisations unless the writers choose to write it like that, and I don't see why they would, given that very few players play a game more thsn once.

Yeah. TBH I don't really take the "these organizations must be mutually exclusive" to heart. I don't even really care about "It's too easy to lead the guild without the skills" complaints.

If Starfield is real, I'll definitely check it out.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

O_Bruce said:

I think we're all guilty of falling for the "they changed it now it sucks" trope. It's just some people act way more extremist towards said changed product, and then go on to attack those who do like it.
    I must say O_Bruce probably should have referred to "commercially cynical apes" - because that's what we humans are as species - not monkeys!!

Just you watch out for the Discworld Librarian - o shall you, O_Bruce? ;-)

It is a bit flippant comment from O_Bruce, but mostly critical of Bethesda the Corporation, surely?

I must admit that I also think Bethesda peaked with Morrowind. Fallout 1-2-3 for the fans of that franchise plausibly.

Ever since, Bethesda has to my mind over-performed in degenerating original PC PRG masterpieces unto console oriented action grind fests.

They were the masters of world-writing and terribly rewarding and punishing discovery.

No more, I also think.

Nah, Bethesda peaked with Daggerfall. Morrowind is a much better game, of course, but Daggerfall is just so fucking ambitious.

Also apes is a kind of monkey :P