Skip to content

Worst kit?

Comments

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    @Cheesebelly
    You could have simply said that in the beginning you know, instead of attacking the Beastmaster's cons.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    edited November 2012
    There are other mistakes as well. For example Jester's description says his song has save vs. spell with +4 bonus while it is actually only +2 bonus (which is much less sucky).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Pecca said:

There are other mistakes as well. For example Jester's description says his song has save vs. spell with +4 bonus while it is actually only +2 bonus (which is much less sucky).

Yea on that one I think the new manual got it wrong. I'll have to converse with others on that.
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Wizard slayer is ok for BG II + ToB, should be good enough for BG:EE.

A long time ago he couldn't even drink certain potions, if I remember correctly.

I never liked the swashbuckler.
    edited November 2012
    @Pecca @elminster The jester's song was changed by an official patch so it got better with levels, you might wanna confirm whether the original (purely SoA) penalty was +4. Or it might be better so imply change the description so it reflects the changes introduced in the patch, unless you want to include both an SoA and ToB-only subsection.

Anyway that puts this this thread in a difficult position. The Beastmaster has no serious cons in BG1, and he gets a familiar (bonus HP, a fast moving bait-character, and the Fairy Dragon has useful spells).

@Rohndil There -was- an official patch that supposedly tweaked the Wizard Slayer kit a bit, but I never bothered to remember the specifics. Perhaps it's been fixed.
    Post edited by Nuin on
    edited November 2012
    Wait can't rangers wear any armour? So isn't having access only to studded leather armour at least a con?
    Post edited by elminster on
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Swashbuckler is one of the most OP kits for the AC, hit and damage bonuses. If you never intend to backstab, its the best thief kit to use, and is fantastic for dual classing from at level 10. You get -3 AC, +2 hit and +2 damage on your second class once the swashbuckler levels are recovered.
    edited November 2012
    @elminster
    Yes it is. Just not a serious one, unless someone tries to play the Beastmaster as a dual-wielding melee tanker. Ideally he should have no pressing need to fight in melee range since he can be just as deadly an archer as Kivan.

Edit: You were on the right track - normal rangers can use heavy (metal) armor, while Beastmasters cannot.
    edited November 2012
    @Nuin my being initially right (and then second guessing myself) is especially hilarious given I made the thread on manual corrections and wrote it down in it :)
    I mean it still is a restriction. He is not as good of a melee tank then a regular ranger (if you ever felt like playing a tank as a ranger) because he only gets studded leather. Whether or not it is a serious con entirely depends on your play style.
  • MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2012
    @elminster @nuin I actually asked this last night and didn't get an answer, is ankheg mail considered metal in regards to class restrictions? If it isn't that can vastly change some of these kits "ratings".
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Nuin said:

I'm not sure how to respond to that. Your playstyle, I guess. I'm not sure you read my post correctly, although I'm certainly not letting my casters waste their time in jelly form.

Wizard Slayers have practically zero disadvantages if you start with 18/18 or higher STR and DEX, except that they can't use the Boots of Speed much later on. As you may have noticed, BG1 isn't a exactly an epic-level campaign so the inability to use non-magic items except for magical weapons/armor isn't such a terrible loss in this setting. So basically in BG1 he's just another fighter except with caster-disabling attacks and innate MR.

Wizard Slayers can use boots of speed, actually.
    Menthro said:

@elminster @nuin I actually asked this last night and didn't get an answer, is ankheg mail considered metal in regards to class restrictions? If it isn't that can vastly change some of these kits "ratings".

Druids (other than the shapeshifter) can use them. So I'm assuming rangers should be able to.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'd have to check, but I don't think that the Ranger kits can use it.

Druids being able to use Ankheg mail is a Druid thing.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    Pure thief is the worst. totally worthless in battles if you don't dual.
    Wizard slayer, assassin, shapeshifter, and beast master come close as second tier.
    @Tanthalas
    Classicism! My ranger brothers! We have been baboozald! Run A'mok!......I forget the rest. Regardless thanks for the information. The worst kit is still shapeshifter, imho.
    edited November 2012
    By chance I stumbled upon an AAR in another community where the author had beaten BG2 and TOB with tactics mod(famous mod increasing difficulty) + diablo mod(another mod that increases difficulty) at insane difficulty with those 4 worst classes. That guy also beat BG1 solo at insane difficulty with a fallen paladin, with its stats edited to all 5. (5 str, 5 con, 5 dex etc.) only using fists and no weapons. That was the funniest AAR i've ever read. He died 56 times beating BG1.

Nothing is impossible.

edit: only used fists against humans.
    Post edited by IntoTheDarkness on
    Tanthalas said:

I'd have to check, but I don't think that the Ranger kits can use it.

Druids being able to use Ankheg mail is a Druid thing.

I tried it out in ToB and it did not work.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    edited November 2012
    jankiel said:

I am interested in hearing peoples opinions on this. When EE goes out I want to try something that will present a challenge. Tough all classes and kits can become strong if played well I want to start with something totally messed up. Wizard slayer is out as there are too much restrictions on that one for me.

Beastmaster is interesting. Any other ideas?

Well...both of those are quite alright in BG1. There's a +3 quarterstaff in the game, easily-accessible, so the Beastmaster's disadvantage isn't much of one. Similarly, Wizard Slayers can still pull on a full plate and swing a shiny sword with fighter HP/thac0, so it's worse than a normal Fighter generally but still good enough (edit - for BG:EE!).

Monks and mages should be the most challenging. That early game period sucks a lot. Mid/late game, every kit/class is fine really.

BTW, been years since I played the original Shapeshifter but if it wasn't balanced, doesn't it sort of break the game almost as much as the Spirit Animals would have? Werewolf form at level 1?
    edited November 2012

jankiel said:

I am interested in hearing peoples opinions on this. When EE goes out I want to try something that will present a challenge. Tough all classes and kits can become strong if played well I want to start with something totally messed up. Wizard slayer is out as there are too much restrictions on that one for me.

Beastmaster is interesting. Any other ideas?

Well...both of those are quite alright in BG1. There's a +3 quarterstaff in the game, easily-accessible, so the Beastmaster's disadvantage isn't much of one. Similarly, Wizard Slayers can still pull on a full plate and swing a shiny sword with fighter HP/thac0, so it's worse than a normal Fighter generally but still good enough (edit - for BG:EE!).

Monks and mages should be the most challenging. That early game period sucks a lot. Mid/late game, every kit/class is fine really.

BTW, been years since I played the original Shapeshifter but if it wasn't balanced, doesn't it sort of break the game almost as much as the Spirit Animals would have? Werewolf form at level 1?
    Now granted I think (and I could be wrong on this) their non-greater form gets two attacks a round, but while the 20% set magic resistance they do get is nice they also have to deal with 1d6 attack and the fact that they can't cast spells in form. Plus no armour means they have to rely on that form (which they get only 1 use/day at level 1) or barkskin for up-close protection. They form also hits as a regular weapon, so some things are going to be immune to their efforts in game.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2012
    Wizard slayer terrible? Too strong already!

That guy also beat BG1 solo at insane difficulty with a fallen paladin, with its stats edited to all 5. (5 str, 5 con, 5 dex etc.) only using fists and no weapons.

How exactly did he kill stuff with his fists?
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    What about mage kits?
    Diviner (no conjuration/summoning spells -> miss all the creature summons and a lot of great dmg spells)
    Enchanter (no Evocation -> missing a lot of dmg spells and sequencer)
    or Invoker (no conj/summ and no ench/charm, so no summoning, miss out dmg, no charm, sleep, confiusion, mallision, hold)

I don't think any of these worth those plus spells. Except maybe if you have another mage who can cast them and efficiently distribute the spells between them...
    Tanthalas said:

That guy also beat BG1 solo at insane difficulty with a fallen paladin, with its stats edited to all 5. (5 str, 5 con, 5 dex etc.) only using fists and no weapons.

Bored them to death?
    @Senash

BGEE is using the BG2 engine, so Invokers are only barred from one school, not two (can't remember which at the moment).
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

I went back to check.

He didn't use a mod. He used fists against any 'human' opponents so he doesn't commit a killing, as long as the game didn't force him to kill someone to progress the story.
    However, he used a sword against monsters.

it's still quite a challenge I wouldn't dare trying. He finished the final battle with bare fists. Sarevok dies if you knock him cold in the vanilla game. I didn't even know one could boost multiple stats as far as upto 25 using potions.
    ankheg said:

Wizard slayer terrible? Too strong already!

Compare it to the monk:
    Wizard Slayer:
    - Wear armor
    - 10% spell failure per hit
    - 1% magic res/level
    - Weapon mastery
    - d10 hit die
    - CON bonus (for being a warrior class)

Monk:
    - No armor, but -1 AC at first lvl, and -1 every 2 levels (at lvl8, end of BG, u end up with AC 5, which is like chain mail)
    - 3% magic res/level (downside is, that you only get that from lvl 14, but on that lvl you already have 42%, while WS has only 13% with same exp. So not in BGEE, but later +2% magic res/lvl over the WS)
    - monks fist actually become better than most weapons by the end (d20+4)
    - better saving throws (except for breath)
    - +2 spell save bonus
    - Stunning blow
    - movement speed bonus (no need for boots of speed)
    - By end of BGEE: immune to diseases and slow, -1 speed factor, lay on hands ability
    - AC bonus against missiles
    - After BGEE xp cap: chance to kill on 1 hit (once a day), immune to poison, charm, non-magical weapons, -1 more speed factor
    - May have less HP than the WS (d8), but can use potions...

So WS only has a bit more HP, the spell failure and a slightly better AC. While monk has... Well, all the above.
    The WS might be good against caster with a lot of HP. With mages, if you can hit them, I think they are dead already :)
    Tanthalas said:

@Senash

BGEE is using the BG2 engine, so Invokers are only barred from one school, not two (can't remember which at the moment).

Well, in that case that goes into the manual bug list too :)

(OFF: is it only me or does it happen to others too that your heart skips a beat when you see that the great "Tanthalas mentioned you in a comment"?)
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2012
    I love my wizard slayer. I played him from level 1 in bg1tutu all the way to finishing bg2 and expansion. He comeptely mopped the floors with his grandmastery long swords and dual wielding. He was consistenly the highest dps in my party and I had no problems not using magic items.

If anyone can not make wizard slayer work I question their understanding of DnD mechanics and if they have actually even tried one themselves.
    Senash said:

(OFF: is it only me or does it happen to others too that your heart skips a beat when you see that the great "Tanthalas mentioned you in a comment"?)

I get that too when he mentions me!