Any official word on XP cap yet?

13»

Comments

• MinscandBooMinscandBoo Member Posts: 77
    ok
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Ignatius said:

Aosaw said:

It's not a hard XP cap, per se; it's a cap on your level. In the Black Pits, you can reach level 10 with any class--so the XP cap will be different for each class.

Will it be possible to move back and forth at will, one's party between Main Game and Pits? ie, decide at the beginning of Chapter 6 that your party will go into the Pit Challenge and once out of it, get back into the Main Game exactly where you left it (Chapter 6) but with the party's score sheets and inventory as it is at the end of the Pits?

Also, is it possible to go and do part of the Pits (say the 5 initial fights) then opt out of it, continue Main Game, and then later go back to complete the Pits without having to go through the 5 initial fights again?
    Short Answer: No.

The Black Pits is a completely separate adventure from the main quest, accessed from a different part of the game's main menu. Your party for the Black Pits is different from your character in the main quest--and in fact, you'll notice that some of the mechanics will behave slightly differently in the Pits than they do on the Sword Coast, because of how the Black Pits adventure is structured.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Anyone had luck adding a xpcap remover 2da? The game seems to ignore the one I placed in override.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I tried that too and no joy.
    I'm hoping that by the time I'm close to cap, someone will have figured this out...
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    Editing the 2da file doesn't work just in case anyone wanted to know. Other changes to files in the override folder have worked for me (I swapped Imoen, Jaheira and Viconia's bg1 portraits with their BG 2 portraits for both aesthetic and consistency when bg2:ee comes out), but an edited 2da didn't do anything I can see. If anyone knows of another file that could control this feel free to share!

The following files have to be edited:

XPCAP.2DA
    STARTARE.2DA
    STARTBP.2DA

I've uploaded the changed override for those who don't know how to edit them,

http://dc353.4shared.com/download/ELKeZtFp/override.zip
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    mlnevese said:

XPCAP.2DA
    STARTARE.2DA
    STARTBP.2DA

Sweet! Thanks so much!

• raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    mlnevese said:

XPCAP.2DA
    STARTARE.2DA
    STARTBP.2DA

Thx!
    Now where do I copy these files?
    Sorry about the noobishness, but I honestly didn't get that...
    @raelcari create an override folder in your BGEE install folder/0766/data and copy the files there
    Thx!
    mlnevese said:

@raelcari create an override folder in your BGEE install folder/0766/data and copy the files there

after pasting the 'override' folder (with the modded files) into BGEE/data/00766/data it STILL caps at 161000. Did I place it wrong? Anyone else got this to work?
    edited November 2012
    @raelcari Yes it does not go inside BGEE/data/00766/data but BGEE/data/00766/
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited November 2012
    mlnevese said:

XPCAP.2DA
    STARTARE.2DA
    STARTBP.2DA

This works perfectly ty!

Just a warning though... HLA's do not seem to be fully implemented. Just testing what happens using the console to lvl I hit around 24 on a rogue and when HLA's were accessible I was able to click the abilities button but there was nothing selectable. On a F/M/C i saw a warrior HLA and a priest HLA but that was it and I couldnt actually finish leveling there because I had more HLA selections than there were ones available to choose meaning I had to esc from the leveling process.

So be advised. While we CAN adjust/remove the level cap, you will hit a road block at excessive lvls due to HLA's seemingly not being fully implemented. You'll likely want to cap your xp at 2.9 million. I think it's 3 million xp where HLA's pop up.
    mlnevese said:

My bad. Works perfectly!
    @mlnevese Hey mate, I can't seem to d/l ur zip file from that site. Is there any way you can tell me what to do manually with those files?
    @MinscandBoo You can extract them using NearInfinity, Winbiff or DLTCEP. Then open in a text file editor and change the caps to -1.

Some people told me 4shared now forces downloaders to register so I uploaded them to an alternative address.

http://depositfiles.com/files/7q9rv6ihk
  • thepermtheperm Member Posts: 23
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I seem to recall after beating 1, and importing to 2, even though I hit the cap in one, any experience I earned carried over to my character in the beginning of 2. Has anyone else seen this? If so, I wonder if it will function the same to BG2 Enhanced
    Never tried that. I always killed the xp cap.
  • BomimoBomimo Member Posts: 18
    mlnevese said:

That's not how my Folder Structure is. It's Games/00755/data and there are no originals of those files present at all.
  • aiureahaiureah Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    I have no 0776/data folder in the game. I only have the data folder with the areas, etc. And i have no override folder either :) The folders i have in the game installation directory are Data, lang, manuals, movies, music and scripts. What should i do?
    Override should be in the same folder where the scripts, data, etc. folders are.
  • aiureahaiureah Member Posts: 2
    It isn't, should i create one? Will it work?
    @aiureah Yes, just create one.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    it takes less than five minutes to remove the XP cap on your PC, and along the way you'll be installing a fuckload of other awesome mods you shouldn't be playing without. unless you're going the iPad route, this is a ridiculous reason not to get the game.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71

@Shin

I have to disagree with your comment "Up to everyone to decided for themselves".

Games are not designed that way. What's the point of having rules built into a game if people are just going to cheat and bypass them?

You're seven, right? Tell me you're seven.
  • DeadstarDeadstar Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2012
    crawlkill said:

@Shin

I have to disagree with your comment "Up to everyone to decided for themselves".

Games are not designed that way. What's the point of having rules built into a game if people are just going to cheat and bypass them?

You're seven, right? Tell me you're seven.
    @bigdogchris has a point. The game is not designed for such high levels. It just makes it so you can rush through the game or just run around and kill things with no effort. If you upped the NPC and enemy levels then yeah it's worth it otherwise it's just essentially a waste. But then it would be just as hard as it would be with the xp cap in place. If you want to be overpowered or just can't handle it, then just put the difficulty down to Novice. BG2 lets you get to those higher levels. Not to mention that removing the xp cap and going into levels higher than what is programmed will mean the levels are not even calculated properly. Have you ever even played actual 2nd ed AD&D? You have to earn things and it's a challenge. What's the point of playing a game if it's not a challenge?