Skip to content

Teach me how to become a (set) Trap Queen

1738!

Hey guys, so everyone keeps saying how traps are super powerful and useful. Being a bit of a noob I've... NEVER used them. Can someone please give me a quick run through on how to best make use of them? Where do you set them, how do you lure people into them, and what specific monsters are they good against?

I hear they work against dragons, which sounds super powerful.

Any How-To Guide would be useful! Thanks
Aerakarmashedtaters

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Worth noting: Bounty Hunter traps can be set from a distance.

Also, after you use a special trap to Maze a group of enemies, one (cheesy) strategy is to set a few traps and then rest. That way, they'll all come back at once, right on top of your traps.
    booinyoureyesThacoBellsemiticgoddessAerakar
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Pantalion said:

All traps ignore MR. This includes HLA traps.

Traps are area-effect spells and are ideal for groups of enemies, but there are almost no situations where traps aren't worth using.

!!!!!

Thanks @semiticgod and @Pantalion . I'm officially going to start using traps. Jan Jansen, here I come.

My gnome squad maximum shorties playthrough is gonna rock:
    Gnome F/Illusionist
    Jan Jansen
    Korgan
    Mazzy
    Aerie for some gnome-lovin'
    Imoen (EEkeepered into a gnome)

Wow, traps are so good. Stared using them for my fighter/thief in Icewind Dale and they are super powerful and not that difficult to use.

I'm naming my next thief Fetty Wap
    joluv
    I'm partial to the remix with Quavo and Gucci Mane:
    booinyoureyes
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited February 2018
    joluv said:

Worth noting: Bounty Hunter traps can be set from a distance.

In case anyone's confused by this I'll say that was the case in the original game and allowed the bounty hunter to be devastating - effectively throwing party-friendly fireballs around. It's not currently the case in the EE games, though it's possible that this ability will be reinstated in the v2.5 update due soon.
    booinyoureyesThacoBell
    @Grond0: I just tried it, and it works in unmodded v2.3.
    booinyoureyes
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @joluv - sorry to be misleading. It doesn't work in BGEE, though it does in BG2EE and IWDEE.
    booinyoureyesjoluvAerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Looking at BGEE in v2.5, the range of a Special Snare is 2, the same reach as a spear. In v2.5 BG2EE and IWDEE, the range is 100, anywhere in visual range.

No idea why it's nerfed in BGEE. Personally, long-range traps have always been really cool.
    joluvAerakarPantalion
    They nerfed a few of the kits for BGEE, right? Some kit abilities just aren't suited to level 1 characters. Seems reasonable to put party-friendly AoE 3d8+5 from range (plus slow effect) into that category. Still, it might have been better to make low-level traps weaker than to confusingly change the mechanic between games.
    semiticgoddessbooinyoureyesAerakar
    Frankly I don't like the idea of setting long range traps that early for role-playing reasons. Same reason I won't use the blind thief glitch to set traps, since I think the sight-line limitation should have been reversed (ie, thieves should not be able to set traps when they are within an enemy's line of sight).
    Raduziel
    OMG traps are such bullshizzle

I just destroyed Firkraag with such ease I felt guilty.
    ThacoBell
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    "Oh no! My traps can take out dragons!"
    booinyoureyesAdam_en_tium