Skip to content

ETA on the 2.5 patch ?

Hi @JuliusBorisov

A query from an intensely brand-loyal customer/fan/hamster afficionado/superhero's secret daytime identity:

Do you have any ETA on the 2.5 patch that you can share with us? Days, weeks, month singular, months plural?

I check this forum all the time, but there's no news that I can find. This creates a dilemma: I don't want to play the 2.3 game if the 2.5 patch arrives soon, and I don't want to spend hours installing all my mods on a 2.3 game (or 1.4, in the case of IWDee!), if the 2.5 patch arrives soon. But I don't want to get into another non-Beamdog game if the 2.5 patch arrives soon, because I'd much rather be playing BG or IWD ....

The end result is that I am not playing at all. And that sucks.

So, do you have any ETA on the 2.5 patch that you can share with us? If the patch is still weeks or months away, I'll simply go buy a game on GOG to tide me over. It's the not knowing part that's annoying.
StummvonBordwehrlefreutDaevelon

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Beamdog doesn't do ETA's anymore (Every single release of theirs being delayed is probably the reason). We likely won't get a release time until we are down to a week until release. I'm having the same problem with wanting to wait for a new run myself.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    I kinda understand what you mean. It would be great to see that patch released. On the other hand, there were many problems reported during the beta and it would be really nice to see them solved. But some info would be nice. At least some statistics, like "XX % is fixed, XX % to go; There were some problems with Y and Z, but we're working on it". At least we would know what's going on.
    Arctoduslefreut
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    @JuliusBorisov has done an X% thing several times in this sub forum.
  • theonlypeejtheonlypeej Member Posts: 44
    Let's keep it up...and get it right!! Phase two it is !!
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Better to hit phase two and get more fixes in than release and end up in the same situations as before again :smile:
    JuliusBorisovKanjiimufuGarvin77
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited February 2018
    Right now Phil is saying they want to restore as many voiceovers as possible before the next 2.5 beta. He said it is a matter of weeks. Maybe they are bargaining about copyright issues.
    Post edited by rede9 on
    Contemplative_HamsterBelleSorciere
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

I hear you! There will be more news on the beta tomorrow during the livestream.

If by more news you mean this:
    The 2.5 update for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is moving along. The second part of the open beta will come soon with fixes, features, and localization updates. IWD:EE is getting a Shaman class and there may be a new kit coming.

Then it's not really useful.

Better to hit phase two and get more fixes in than release and end up in the same situations as before again :smile:

They should focus on regressions so they can release a v2.5 without any new bugs but I don't think they need to try to fix every bugs especially if they keep extending the scope of 2.5 with new things (localization updates and tablet testing).
    Daevelon
    lefreut said:

They should focus on regressions so they can release a v2.5 without any new bugs but I don't think they need to try to fix every bugs especially if they keep extending the scope of 2.5 with new things (localization updates and tablet testing).
    Fixing regressions is also 'more fixes' isn't it? :smile:

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

Fixing regressions is also 'more fixes' isn't it? :smile:

If you break something in v2.5 beta and fix it in v2.5 release, from an user viewpoint updating from 2.3 to 2.5, there is no change. I would not put it in the patch notes as a fix.
    AndreaColomboDaevelonGarvin77
    Fair enough, I see your point.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    The update will be released when it is ready.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Hey @JuliusBorisov

Is Beamdog going port the different player voice sets across BG1/BG2/IWD? Such that when I roll CHARNAME in BG2, I have access to all the CHARNAME voicesets from BG1 and IWD, and vice-versa. With all the cross-game porting of spells and kits - I always thought it strange that the voicesets weren't ported across games as well.

Even if the varying games don't have 1:1 VO lines for every trigger condition, I believe 80%+ of them are 1:1 which would add quite a bit of variety.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I doubt it, as soundsets have copyright issues (voices are recorded for the certain game).
    tbone1[Deleted User]AstroBryGuy
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    agris said:

Hey @JuliusBorisov

Is Beamdog going port the different player voice sets across BG1/BG2/IWD? Such that when I roll CHARNAME in BG2, I have access to all the CHARNAME voicesets from BG1 and IWD, and vice-versa. With all the cross-game porting of spells and kits - I always thought it strange that the voicesets weren't ported across games as well.

Even if the varying games don't have 1:1 VO lines for every trigger condition, I believe 80%+ of them are 1:1 which would add quite a bit of variety.

Is there anything preventing us from doing it ourselves? Assuming a certain technical competence, of course.
    Garvin77
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    tbone1 said:

agris said:

Hey @JuliusBorisov

Is there anything preventing us from doing it ourselves? Assuming a certain technical competence, of course.
    There isn't. Please flag me in a post when you find the modder / have released the mod that does this.
    Garvin77
    Did @PhillipDaigle say next beta will start fifth of march during last stream or did I misunderstand?
    rede9 said:

Did @PhillipDaigle say next beta will start fifth of march during last stream or did I misunderstand?

Did @PhillipDaigle say next beta will start only with IWD next fifth of march last friday?