Skip to content

[Mod] Ascalon's Questpack (Kerzenburgforum)

jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
edited September 2021 in General Modding
Ascalon's Questpack

From the readme:
During the course of the game one is often inspired with smaller or bigger ideas for side-quests or stories that take place parallel to the story of the bhaalspawn. This modification is a collection of my (Ascalon's) ideas: Several quests or differing dimensions. Some are humorous, others of the tragic kind. There are puzzles and combat challenges. Several require a diplomatic touch. A few are race- and class-specific.

The mod adds quests to both BG1 and BGII. It can be installed directly to BG:EE, BGII:EE, EET, BGT, Tutu (w TotSC), and BGII.

CONTENT
Baldur's Gate I:

- A Job Well-Paid
What happens when adventurers are a bit too eager to spend their first big money? Travel to Beregost to find out.

- A Feast for the Gnolls
It was supposed to be a romantic picnic, but then everything went wrong. Look for Mrs Wellstone in Nashkel and help the poor woman find her son.

- The Great Carlini
Once a gnome's scientific curiousity has been stirred there is nothing that can stop him. Not even the spell that once cost the archmage Carlini hist life. Look for Ygnatius in the Friendly Arm Inn (he is hard to miss).

- Fangirls
True fangirls stay true to their idols, just like Cindy, Mandy and Ashley in the north-western part of Baldur's Gate...

- A Home for the Gibberlings
What does an artist create when out of ideas? Trouble, lots of trouble, considering what Gerlado the Splendiferous in the central part of Baldur's Gate has been up to recently.

- The Lost Son
All the half-elf Aphriel wanted was to lay down her bow in favour of a simple life. But then everything changed. Meet her in the bandit camp after dealing with the guards.

- Of Wolves and Men
Aiwell the mage has barred her doors - from the outside. Find out why near High Hedge.

This component has two options: the first uses the hut near Thalantyr's Abode in HighHedge.
The second option moves the home of the couple into a house in Beregost ("House 9" on Dudleyville's Walkthrough on the southwest boundary of Beregost). This is mainly for compatibility reasons because Glam's NPC Pack uses the hut in High Hedge for something else. Install this component if you want to play both mods together.
Dudleyvilles Walkthrough:
http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar3300.htm

- Flopsy
An epic tale of honour, friendship and bunny-rabbits.

- The Serpents of Abbathor
A mysterious dwarven kult is recruiting along the Sword Coast and heroes are in great demand! At the moment only te BG 1 part is complete. Loot Mulahey's corpse or travel to the south-west part of Baldur's Gate to get started.

Baldur's Gate II:

- A Halfling among the Eyeless
Who will help Mrs Lawner to find her missing son?

Download from official Download Site

Download from Jastey's GitHub
Post edited by jastey on
AedanMantis37RaduzielMirandelMateoFrozenStummvonBordwehrmegamike15ronaldoStefanOGrammarsaladmodestvoltaTimbo0o0o0Ludwig_II[Deleted User]ArdulAaeightZaghoulAciferVasculioAaemforever

Comments

• Interesting! Not unlike the BG Quests and Encounters mod, which really adds flavour. Will try your questpack before long.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    It's from Ascalon, I only did the finish-up for the BG:EE (and EET etc.) compatibility.
    But if you enjoyed bgqe, you will like these quests, too!
    Contemplative_HamsterAcifer
    Kerzenburforum moved - downloadlink in the first post is updated.
    Acifer
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    When installing I get this error, any suggestions?

In state 108, I expected one of these tokens:
    [361] AUTHOR
    Parse error (state 108) at ~~

[AC_QUEST/SETUP-AC_QUEST.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 3 column 1-7
    Near Text: SUPPORT
    GLR parse error

[AC_QUEST/SETUP-AC_QUEST.TP2] ERROR at line 3 column 1-7
    Near Text: SUPPORT
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [AC_QUEST/SETUP-AC_QUEST.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [AC_QUEST/SETUP-AC_QUEST.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

Press ENTER to exit.
    v2.03 installs fine on my BG:EE and SoD.
    The error message could be because your setup-ac_quest.exe is not WeiDU v244 but a lower version which didn't know the "SUPPORT" tag yet. When starting the setup-ac_quest.exe, you see the version number. Version 2.03 of the Questpack should be packed with v244 so if you take the newer exe it hopefully solves the problem?
    Acifer
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    Thank you. I downloaded the wrong version of the Mac WeiDu Launcher and that was causing the issue.
    Acifer
    Ah! That makes sense. Good it's working now! I hope you enjoy the quests.
    Acifer
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    This is a really great set of quests and I enjoyed them all.
    I think Flopsy was my favorite, as it was nice to help an ogre for a change :)

Thanks for posting it here and keeping us up on the updates. B)
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarLudwig_IIAcifer
    Thank you for the kind words and your interest in the mod!
    ZaghoulStummvonBordwehrAcifer
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Just for information : both links are v2.04 but they have different size (due ton a different organisation in the archive maybe). It probably doesn't matter but just in case i report it to you.
    Thanks for the info. I guess it's because GitHub ships with some more files unnecessary for installation.
    The version from the official download's page is probably the tidier version. :)
    Acifer
    Ya got me looking forward to the next chapter in The Serpents of Abbathor. That is some serious dwarf intrigue going on. Very nice. B)
    Unfortunately, Ascalon retired from modding, so his planned BGII expansion of this quest will not be finished, I fear.
    Acifer
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited November 2018
    I've been using this mod in my playthrough currently and wanted to thank you jastey and Ascalon for this great mod. I really enjoyed the quests a lot. This is definitely my favourite quest mod now, together with UB.

One relatively minor issue I had was, Aphriel didn't show up to give me the quest, but I still found her son and returned him to her and still managed to complete the quest. So I completed the quest at the same time as I got it in my quest log. And after finishing up, they were supposed to leave, but Aphariel seems to have forgot her son again at the spot I returned him:) So, her son still stands in front of the Friendly Arm entrance after the quest is finished, with no conversation options possible. I'm using the latest 2.04 version.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm using BGEE v2.3, not the latest one, in case it matters
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    Acifer
    Thanks for the kind words and the report @Ludwig_II, I'll look into it.
    Ludwig_IIAcifer
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    I've enjoyed this mod! Just a couple of minor issues

- In the mines, the shadows did not provide any XP - dunno if this is intended?
    - Some of the shadows "lost focus" during combat. If there were suddenly no enemies next to them, they would just stand around letting themselves be shot down.
    - The umber hulks turned red but did not do anything so I could just hack away at them. Perhaps this was because I approached them in stealth? They turned red when I got near but did not attack, even when I turned visible.

Acifer
    edited December 2018
    Thank you! I'm not good at script design, but I'll add these to my notes for the next update.

Also thank you @AMP1972 for the kind words.
    MiridorAcifer
    Found another bug - this is what the reward looks like in the Of Wolves and Men quest

Oh, that's a good catch! The mod uses fixed string numbers for some items which should be from BGII, of course (with the mod being originally for BGT) but those are different in BG:EE, of course.
    Thank you!
    Acifer
    @Miridor
    BUT the description of the sword from this quest has mod added strings (at least in the current version) so what I found (and will fix) is not the cause for the mixup you see - I fear you have some sort of text mixup in your game, did you change your install while playing or are using an older savegame by any chance?
    Acifer
    @jastey
    I did actually notice some other text mixups. In the mines, for instance, the map notes at the bottom level were off and some "subtitling" of battle cries were complete nonsense as well.
    I have other mods installed but the only thing I changed after I started this game was this fix to make the level up icon appear https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1003567/#Comment_1003567
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited December 2018
    Oh this reminds me, I have a few text mixups in my game too, but very few of them. That sword, it's burning earth yeah? I had a strange text on that one too. But the same sword that is taken from Durlag's tower looks fine. Also, whenever I use Mummy's Tea (i think that was the name, the potion that cures diseases), Drizzt's lines come up as if I just talked to him. Don't know if it's related to this mod though.

I have a few other mods that I use alongside this one, like Northern Tales, Unfinished Business and NPC project. But no other quest mods, the rest are Tweaks Antology and some kits. By the way I'm on BGEE v2.3.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    @Ludwig_II Mummy's Tea is from NEJ I think, but it gets introduced by NTotSC if not present. Might well be that in the NTotSC version some text line is referenced in the spell that is used for curing that gives a wrong line. I'll add it to my notes.

It's just funny because the sword (Sword of Flame +1, "AC1H53") uses mod added texts, only, so it cannot be the mod mixing up the lines.
    Acifer
    I've had the sword of flame description come up wrong as well, but only if given for transforming the wolf, not if killing him and getting it from Thalantyr. When staright out attacking the werewolf, if one has a cure but decides to attack regardless nothing can be done, everything slows down and he can't be targeted.
    The other is if no cure is made sometimes Thalantyr will not recognize you have his body until a cure is made regardless.

One other mention about Perwell. I've only been able to get him to follow me out once, every other time he just stays at the C Mines.
    I think those are the only issues I've noticed in an otherwise fantastic group of adventures. B)

Acifer
    Thanks! I'll add these to my notes.
    ZaghoulAcifer
  • GnollGnoll Member Posts: 24
    I don't know if this is still being checked, but I had a question! :) Really enjoying the mod so far, but I'm stuck in the quest A Feast for the Gnolls. I've talked with the woman's ghost and I have Aaron's ring from the Gnoll Fortress, but I can't talk to the mother anymore and there is no new dialogue with the ghost. Am I missing something? Thanks!
    Acifer
    @gnoll Did you leave with Aaron from the gnoll fortress? That should have triggered a new conversation with Aaron and his mom.