Skip to content

Can a solo monk get the STR tome in BGI?

I’ve been thinking of a complete saga monk solo run. I’m wondering if I would ever be able to get the STR tome though.

Even if I have DuHM, that bumps STR to 20. I don’t think that’s high enough to smash the lock.

Do monks have another way through?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    A Violet Potion can do that for you.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Monks can also use Potions of ___ Giant Strength. Storm or Cloud plus DUHM will do the trick.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    joluv said:

Monks can also use Potions of ___ Giant Strength. Storm or Cloud plus DUHM will do the trick.

They can? Whoa, game changer!!!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i just checked the lock on that tomb, and you do indeed need 25 STR to bust it open
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited February 2018
    Actually you only need 24 to do it, though it might take a number of attempts to succeed. I would tend to use a fire giant strength potion topped up by DUHM in order to save the best strength potions for other encounters.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Heh, I wish I had known that in my last berzerker solo run :P
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Grond0 said:

Actually you only need 24 to do it, though it might take a number of attempts to succeed. I would tend to use a fire giant strength potion topped up by DUHM in order to save the best strength potions for other encounters.

its weird how sometimes the game will give you that 5% leeway, because 24 STR is 75 open doors, while 25 STR is 80 open doors, and that tomb has an 80 open lock score
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Can a monk identify items? It's not much use being able to get the tome if you can't identify it - as I know to my cost (Memo to self: Think things through before embarking on solo runs).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    dunbar said:

Can a monk identify items? It's not much use being able to get the tome if you can't identify it - as I know to my cost (Memo to self: Think things through before embarking on solo runs).

A merchant can identify items for you.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Good point, I should have thought of that!
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    edited February 2018
    sarevok57 said:

well, there is something that you can do for much cheaper:

when i play solo runs, there is one joinable NPC who absolutely rocks and that is Garrick

i keep him around the blacksmith building and i get him to identify all my magical items, and once he is done with that, i give him the boot

and when i go to BG the city, i bring Garrick along and keep him outside the sorcerous sundries

even better, as long as your character has 32000 XP, Garrick will be boosted up to level 6 with no muss or fuss and all without having killed a single monster ( although sometimes i will bring him to the basilisk area to boost him up to the 40000 mark, just so he can be level 7 with an awesome 70 lore )

its kind of funny actually, if i play a 6 person team i never use Garrick, but when it comes to solo runs, he is joinable NPC MVP of the year

That’s cool, but it’s a freaking solo run. The 100 gp to identify stuff is pennies among the riches your character rolls in.

I’m just trying to say you just don’t need it.

Even with a low rep and charisma, I’ve never had money problems in BGI