Skip to content

Rangers and Racial Enemy

I've always difficulties in choosing an appropriate Racial Enemy when rolling a Ranger character.
Especially when starting in BG1, it is hard to find a choice that is also useful for BG2.
Spider would be useful in BG1 but useless in BG2, e.g.

For now I favor Racial Enemy: Demonic. There aren't many in BG1 but they're one of the toughest (Demon Knight, Aec'Laetec), and it is still useful in BG2.

Whats your opinion about this?

Besides, does the ability grant a damage bonus in addition to the to hit bonus of 4 (I believe)?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    In BGEE you'll only be able to select the races that you could in the original BG1.

I think for BG2EE players will be allowed to re-select a racial enemy.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    That seems peculiar. Are you at liberty to elaborate on why the BG2 racial enemy table has been intentionally altered from the Engine for the sake of BG1:EE, @Tanthalas?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Basically, players could select Dragons (and several others) as a racial enemy and then never encounter one in the game. It was decided that it was better for players to only have the old BG1 races at selection so they could make use of the ability.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Tanthalas said:

Basically, players could select Dragons (and several others) as a racial enemy and then never encounter one in the game. It was decided that it was better for players to only have the old BG1 races at selection so they could make use of the ability.

That's fine, as long as BG2EE will allow you to re-select
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If Minsc can switch, so should the Charname. Only fair :P
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    The ability to reselect sounds good to me.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    deltago said:

If Minsc can switch, so should the Charname. Only fair :P

To be fair Minsc's enemies requested the switch out of fear of boo (someone still had to get screwed over though).
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I've always thought it would make sense for the protagonist to hate Ogres in BG1 after the events after Candlekeep and then Vampires in BG2. But yeh, the ability to change racial between games should be included.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    A possibility to change your racial enemy in BG2:EE is a must.