Skip to content

[SOLVED] Near Infinity - Cannot Load baldur.gam

TemarielTemariel Member Posts: 42
edited April 2018 in General Modding
Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm currently having an issue with loading baldur.gam files in Near Infinity. That is to say, they won't load. NI just hangs for a moment like its loading something and then seems to give up. It doesn't crash.

Strangely enough, this problem began immediately after I dual-classed Minsc from a beastmaster kit to a cleric (no kit) whilst in the Ancient Library area of the 'Check the Bodies' mod. I spent a couple of hours trying to fix this issue there and then, just experimenting to see if I could locate the exact nature of the problem. However I had no luck. I continued on with the game in the hope that it would resolve itself later but it hasn't.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

WeiDU.log attached.

Note:

Very rarely, I can get baldur.gam to load, but it will freeze repeatedly as soon as I try to interface with it.

All baldur.gam files from saved games prior to dual-classing Minsc work perfectly.

I've tried kicking Minsc out of the party altogether and then checking to see if I could load baldur.gam. Not only did this not work, but it opened up another can of worms since apparently Minsc's exit dialog is broken. I'm not even sure the game is registering him as having left the party.

Java is up to date and my computer is more than equipped to handle anything NI can throw at it.

Post edited by Temariel on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Tagging @argent77 here - in the future, @Temariel , please, don't miss the main thread for NearInfinity
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    @Temariel Does NI's Debug Console show a message when selecting the baldur.gam? You can open it via menu Tools > Show Debug Console. It would also help to attach the (zipped) baldur.gam, so I can take a look myself.
  • TemarielTemariel Member Posts: 42
    @JuliusBorisov noted. @argent77 thanks for lending a hand. Here is a screenshot of NI debug when attempting to open baldur.gam. Zipped full save folder also attached below.

Baldur.gam is here: filedropper.com/000000001-quick-save
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited April 2018
    @Temariel You save file looks fine but is quite big, which could lead to memory issues on systems with little memory or when you have installed the 32-bit version of the Java Runtime.

I would recommend to install the 64-bit Java Runtime (Link) if it is possible on your system. It can solve many memory-related problems.

Alternatively, there is a small tool "Hide NI DOS" that can be found in the first post of this topic. It starts Near Infinity with extended memory settings, which may be enough to open your save file.
  • TemarielTemariel Member Posts: 42
    @argent77 worked like a charm. Thank you very much!