Skip to content

PW Anti-Exploit Checks

I noticed NWNEE has fixed quite a few exploits in the original, like putting weapon switch on a cooldown to prevent continuous weapon switching to get fast flurries.

Apart from that, for running a PW are there any other checks that I can turn off now to free up script cycles?

Comments

• GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    I echo this, a specific list of what issues have been corrected for would be immensely helpful.
  • ZeroarkZeroark Member Posts: 22
    I remember back on the day I used this to startup my server. As the package says it doesn't solves ALL of the problems, but it's a good start:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/no-hak-persistent-exploit-free-starter-module

As for the continous weapon switches I've seen each server implements their own solution. Some "paralyze you" for 1 round on each item change, others do similar things but using other effects, so it's up to you on most cases!
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2018
    Good luck guys. Apparently it's a bad idea to ask for or talk about this kind of information.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69671/common-pw-exploits#latest
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hey,

the reasoning for asking you to not post publicly about engine exploits or issues is simply that a) they are of much higher impact, potentially compromising server hosts or player computers; and b) we can't fix 1.69 or the current EE stable patch retroactively. Any published engine exploit puts servers and players needlessly at risk. These are the kind of issues we're fixing first in EE, and you can find [most of] them listed in the patch notes.

OTOH, scripting issues are arguably fine to talk about, since every server owner or module author can just fix them simply by editing and recompiling the affected script(s); and the impact for them to be known is nowhere near as severe as for engine issues.

Does that make any sense for you?
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2018
    @niv I'm thinking maybe there is a semantic problem with this subject.
    I believe most of the recent posts on this topic are relating specifically to common PW player 'exploits'. Things players can do while in PWs to take advantage of (exploit) systems in the game. At least that is how I interpreted the post titles. Things like continual flame, Red Dragon Disciple deleveling, item duping, etc, and how PW owners/admins can fix these common problems, mistakes or unwanted behaviors.
    While another group is thinking that this pertains to much larger engine code issues or engine exploits? Coding outside the game and bringing it into the game? I don't know much about any of that or want to.
    Maybe this is where the conflict and confusion are stemming from?
    And yes what you said does indeed make sense.
    Post edited by NeverwinterWights on
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    While I might not be able to 'fix' everything with a script, I sure can detect when things are being exploited _if I know what to look for_ and I can script a suitable 'punch in the nose' for those who use these exploits. Does that make sense to you?