Skip to content

A house for the main character

LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
I had almost forgot about this one, but doesn't someone at some point of the game give you their house? I can not remember if it was from a friend or foe or as a reward for something. I think it only takes place as a line of dialogue, no paper evidence. I tried to locate it from the description I was given and I think I concluded it was the house that is half submerged under water on one of the middle maps.

Please let me know if you know what I am talking about and who gives it away.
Anyway I would love to have my own house.
I know I can move into almost any house I want, but that would not be MY house.
Arrange with the flaming fists to keep an eye on it, have druids and/or dwarves drain the house and it's surroundings. I would gladly spend 20.000 gp to restore my house, I could buy that awesome magic later.

Now when I think about it I realize that maybe the main character is under some heavy stress atm and wouldn't care so much about a house as to staying alive and trying to figure out what is going on.

But I would still like a house =)

Comments

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I usually use the little cabin outside High Hedge for storage purposes and all-round cosyness. It reminds me alot of the Ranger stronghold from BG2 and its location is quite convenient (near Thalantyr's store and Beregost).

As for adding a more "official" house for the PC, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort... even in BG2, I never felt there were enough reasons to visit and/or hang out at your place, simply wasn't much to do *shrug*
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    you get a stronghold (or 'house') depending on your class:
    mage/sorc=planar sphere
    warrior/barbarian/monk=d'arnise keep
    paladin=a room at the order of the radiant heart
    cleric=place at the helm/talos/lathander temple
    bard=theatre in the five flagons inn
    thief=mae'var's guild house
    ranger=cabin umar hills
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    This was in BG1 =)
    I just remember being so disappointed that I couldn't really use the house he gave me.

No one knows what I am talking about, regarding giving the house away?
    I usually use the little cabin outside High Hedge for storage purposes and all-round cosyness.

I usually use the "Giant spider house" in Beregost

• SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    This was in BG1 =)
    oh, yeah, sry :)

oh, yeah, sry :)

That's OK, now go play through BG and tell me what I need to knoooow

• SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104

I remember, it was a gift from a petrified woman on the basilisks map
    I was so disappointed too, that it was just a flooded house, south of beregost ^^
    Aaaaaah, thanks =))
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    maybe they could make houses for BG1EE and keep the strongholds in BG2. A thief's alley, a druid's hut, your cleric can move in that little abbey thing next to the temple. That would be a nice touch. Hmmm. If they don't put it in the game it would be a good mod idea.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Kinda a necro but it would be really cool if you could rennovate it
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited July 2013
    You can get own house in BG1.
    Tamah can give you one as reward.
    Post edited by Edvin on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Edvin said:

Complete with its own pond!
    elminster said:

Edvin said:

Complete with its own pond!
    Exactly ! :D
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Doesn't the character live in Candlekeep? You have your own bunkhouse with room for friends...

Not your fault you got locked out... Happens to the best of us from time to time...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    You could technically keep Landrin's house....she never goes back to Beregost anyway. And that chick at Friendly Arm who leaves forever after you get her ring.
    We can keep any house, all want we need is kill dwellers :D
    But now seriously, we need someone who say: " Thank you, this is your house now "
    How hard can it be?
    Glad to see this thread woke up again!!!!

I'm an old fart who LOVE the small things that makes life (and BGEE) interesting. I would rather have a house (that I can access) than a +45 uberkilling vorpal mace.

And maybe a gardener to take care of my tulips...or turnips =)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I would prefer a cursed +45 uberkilling vorpal mace all of whose attacks are re-directed back at the user :D
  • GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43
    Personally, I use Kagain's House in the middle of Beregost. Close to all the shops, lots of storage space, nd I leave the NPC's I'm currently not using in party there (except for the new ones of course.) ;)
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    As a practical matter, "a house" in the game should basically provide one or both of two things:
    1) a safe place to store gear you aren't using yet, or which you haven't accumulated enough of yet to economically sell off on a 'full-load, no depreciation' basis;
    2) a safe, free place to rest/sleep.

There are several practical places to store gear, but most of them you cannot sleep safe at:

a) Joia's house at the FAI (can't rest there);
    b) Kagain's warehouse in Beregost (can't rest there, but it is extremely good for parking NPC's that you might want to call up later, and lots of shelves/containers for sorting loot);
    c) the derelict wagon train north of Beregost (just as a gear cache);
    d) any room of the Nashkel Inn (for storing stuff, after you have gently looted the place to make room; still have to pay the 1GP to rest, however;
    e) the round room with the barrels on the first floor of the Nashkel Mines (good as a cache while working through the Mines);
    f) Lantrin's house in Beregost, after clearing the spiders (however, I don't think you can rest in there, either)

As far as I have ever been able to determine, there are only two buildings that allow you a free, safe rest. Both also have some storage locales/containers that permit permanent safe storage of excess gear:

a) the house directly across the street from the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost (the owner is a good Samaritan sort who allows you to rest there, so the party doesn't even need to kill him - unless you're Evil, of course. There are a few storage containers in the second room, but I usually use this accommodation in conjunction with Kagain's warehouse because you can sort stuff so much better at Kagain's)
    b) Lily's Store in BG. I don't know if it is always the case, but at least if she likes you (high charisma/rep), she will let you bunk there for free, and use the shelving to store, sort, & protect gear. She might ask for a minimal rent about once a week, but its still the best deal in the Gate.