Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The Horror Movie Thread

1234568»

Comments

  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Carnosaur is great as far as low-budget B-movies go. :) The second one is alright too. Don't bother with the rest.

    ThacoBell
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,907
    I have alot of affection for both House 2 and Ghoulies 2, simply because they were always on HBO when I was a kid. To be honest, nearly half my favorite movies seem to have nothing to do with how good they are, but how readily available they were to watch when I was a child.

    ThacoBellZaghoul
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 11,693
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited April 2019
    Just a heads-up for anyone that was thinking about watching it, that new Critters mini series I mentioned a couple posts back is godawful.
    The critters themselves, while low budget, are actually the high point of the series. The human characters are so horribly uninteresting and badly acted that I spent the whole time wishing they'd all die. I predicted the "plot twist" within 5 minutes of the first episode, and I got it right. I hope the actors never get any kind of work again in their damn lives.

    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 11,693
    Watched Nosferatu recently (The old silent german film). Several shots from that movie are still legitimately creepy. Its also interesting to see things from an old silent film that are STILL copied for modern horror movies.

    ZaghoulDev6
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,907
    "Halloween Ends" as the final part of a trilogy. Definitely not gonna be any truth in advertising there anymore than Friday the 13th Part IV was "The Final Friday". Jason and Freddie each had a reboot that seemingly went nowhere, yet Michael Myers (who even in the Rob Zombie films is essentially exactly the same) manages to keep getting trotted out with at least a modicum of box office success. For some reason even the worst Halloween movies seem to be of a better quality than pretty much ANY Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. Hell, even the worst one, which is unquestionably "The Curse of Michael Myers" (where they tried to turn Michael into the agent of an ancient cult of Druids) somehow has both an original AND Director's Cut.

    Balrog99
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 233
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    For some reason even the worst Halloween movies seem to be of a better quality than pretty much ANY Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. .

    Eh, I think the worst one was Halloween Resurrection and I would easilly say that was a worse movie than Curse and worse than all the films you've grouped in mentioning.

    But I do think part of the reason Micheal Myers still kinda draws is, he can be legitimately terrifying. Jason literally never was and the main point of his movies were kind of eclipsed by stuff like Saw and Hostel. As for Freddie, though great in the first three Nightmares he became too much of a joke afterwards, though New Nightmare did show if they were willing to really try, he could still be relevant, but then, without Robert Englund maybe the magic can't be recaptured.

    I saw two new horror movies recently, Midsommar, which was ah, bad, and Knife+Heart, which was alright, lacked in genuine tension but it was likeable and engaging.


  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,907
    edited August 2019
    I had the unfortunate experience of watching the remake of "I Spit on Your Grave" last night, and it's impossible not to comment. This is a repulsive movie on every level. It's the #1 example I've ever seen of why rape has to be treated seriously in movies to be justified.

    So let's get that out of the way. There is a brutal rape scene in the 1988 Jodie Foster movie "The Accused". But that movie is taking itself seriously and has something to say about it's subject matter. The rape in "I Spit on Your Grave" exists as nothing but a vehicle to get to the second-half of the movie, which is pure torture porn. I watched this movie less than 24 hours ago, and I couldn't even tell you the name of the girl. The entirety of her character is the fact that she was raped and will seek revenge. You know nothing else about her. The perpetrators are stock Deliverance knock-offs. For good measure, the filmakers decided to throw in a mentally handicapped kid who is basically treated as the gang's "pet retard", who they force to be the first person on top of her, and, in a sense, is raped himself given his mental capacity. The second half is just brutally sickening Saw-like scenarios, believing itself morally justified because it's being done in the name of revenge.

    This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The assault scene goes on for well over 30 minutes when you factor in the mental part of it. There is nothing in this movie that doesn't involve violent sexual abuse or tortuous killing, made worse by the fact that the former could realistically happen to someone, and the later is far-fetched nonsense. There isn't an ounce of humor or character development in the entire run-time. It appears to have spawned two sequels which ostensibly just shuffle out this girl for different ones, as an attractive-looking plot device to be defiled and take revenge. Even the movie poster art shows her in soiled panties clearly selling the rape as part of the experience while also clearly attempting to be titillating. I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch this, and even if one does, I can't fathom how it would be enjoyable in any way.

    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 11,693
    Yeah, I'm REALLY not a fan of exploitation films.

    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 6,431
    edited August 2019
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I had the unfortunate experience of watching the remake of "I Spit on Your Grave" last night, and it's impossible not to comment. This is a repulsive movie on every level. It's the #1 example I've ever seen of why rape has to be treated seriously in movies to be justified.

    So let's get that out of the way. There is a brutal rape scene in the 1988 Jodie Foster movie "The Accused". But that movie is taking itself seriously and has something to say about it's subject matter. The rape in "I Spit on Your Grave" exists as nothing but a vehicle to get to the second-half of the movie, which is pure torture porn. I watched this movie less than 24 hours ago, and I couldn't even tell you the name of the girl. The entirety of her character is the fact that she was raped and will seek revenge. You know nothing else about her. The perpetrators are stock Deliverance knock-offs. For good measure, the filmakers decided to throw in a mentally handicapped kid who is basically treated as the gang's "pet retard", who they force to be the first person on top of her, and, in a sense, is raped himself given his mental capacity. The second half is just brutally sickening Saw-like scenarios, believing itself morally justified because it's being done in the name of revenge.

    This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The assault scene goes on for well over 30 minutes when you factor in the mental part of it. There is nothing in this movie that doesn't involve violent sexual abuse or tortuous killing, made worse by the fact that the former could realistically happen to someone, and the later is far-fetched nonsense. There isn't an ounce of humor or character development in the entire run-time. It appears to have spawned two sequels which ostensibly just shuffle out this girl for different ones, as an attractive-looking plot device to be defiled and take revenge. Even the movie poster art shows her in soiled panties clearly selling the rape as part of the experience while also clearly attempting to be titillating. I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch this, and even if one does, I can't fathom how it would be enjoyable in any way.

    I made the mistake of watching the original. I have no interest in touching anything bearing any resemblance to that movie again. I like horror flicks in general but movies like this are just disgusting (and that's apparently the allure for some people). I like to investigate horror movies before I view them for the very reason that many are more about titillation and over the top gore. I haven't watched Human Centipede, Cannibal Holocaust or the Serbian Movie even though reviews are mixed to cautiously favorable. They seem more like vomit-inducing movies than art to me...

    Edit: I watched the original Saw, and Hostel movies. They were borderline exploitation movies but were actually OK to me. I didn't like the plotlines enough to watch any of the sequels, however.

    ThacoBell
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,907
    edited August 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I had the unfortunate experience of watching the remake of "I Spit on Your Grave" last night, and it's impossible not to comment. This is a repulsive movie on every level. It's the #1 example I've ever seen of why rape has to be treated seriously in movies to be justified.

    So let's get that out of the way. There is a brutal rape scene in the 1988 Jodie Foster movie "The Accused". But that movie is taking itself seriously and has something to say about it's subject matter. The rape in "I Spit on Your Grave" exists as nothing but a vehicle to get to the second-half of the movie, which is pure torture porn. I watched this movie less than 24 hours ago, and I couldn't even tell you the name of the girl. The entirety of her character is the fact that she was raped and will seek revenge. You know nothing else about her. The perpetrators are stock Deliverance knock-offs. For good measure, the filmakers decided to throw in a mentally handicapped kid who is basically treated as the gang's "pet retard", who they force to be the first person on top of her, and, in a sense, is raped himself given his mental capacity. The second half is just brutally sickening Saw-like scenarios, believing itself morally justified because it's being done in the name of revenge.

    This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The assault scene goes on for well over 30 minutes when you factor in the mental part of it. There is nothing in this movie that doesn't involve violent sexual abuse or tortuous killing, made worse by the fact that the former could realistically happen to someone, and the later is far-fetched nonsense. There isn't an ounce of humor or character development in the entire run-time. It appears to have spawned two sequels which ostensibly just shuffle out this girl for different ones, as an attractive-looking plot device to be defiled and take revenge. Even the movie poster art shows her in soiled panties clearly selling the rape as part of the experience while also clearly attempting to be titillating. I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch this, and even if one does, I can't fathom how it would be enjoyable in any way.

    I made the mistake of watching the original. I have no interest in touching anything bearing any resemblance to that movie again. I like horror flicks in general but movies like this are just disgusting (and that's apparently the allure for some people). I like to investigate horror movies before I view them for the very reason that many are more about titillation and over the top gore. I haven't watched Human Centipede, Cannibal Holocaust or the Serbian Movie even though reviews are mixed to cautiously favorable. They seem more like vomit-inducing movies than art to me...

    Edit: I watched the original Saw, and Hostel movies. They were borderline exploitation movies but were actually OK to me. I didn't like the plotlines enough to watch any of the sequels, however.

    I've seen movies as disturbing that had redeeming value. "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" comes to mind, but that movie spends the bulk of it's time examining the psyches of it's 3 characters. It suppose I can even excuse movies like this made on a low budget in the late 70s because that was a time when "grindhouse" theaters were actually still a thing. That is no longer the case. When the original and movies like "Last House on the Left" and Texas Chainsaw Massacre" originally came out, they were underground films, and their budget made it so the entire thing seemed like it might have been real. The remakes of these movies have no such excuse. I don't care for the genre "Saw" started, but this is a step further. If fully HALF of your 100 minute movie is laser-focused on the prelude and act of a rape, I'm not sure what a reasonable person is supposed to think. It's not horror, it's not even the kind of completely disgusting subject matter that the Human Centipede trilogy did (I started all of those but never finished then). At least the basic concept of those movies is totally preposterous to begin with. If you are going to make a movie that is explicitly about rape and you are going to train the camera on it for the better part of an hour, I think it requires a better reason.

    ThacoBellBalrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 11,693
    edited August 2019
    Is it weird that I don't watch horror movies for "horror"? Horror doesn't really scare me, and the kind of stuff that does, is stuff that I deal with in life anyway and I don't need my escapism to be populated with it. I like horror for the imagination of it, the creative designs of monsters, and in seeing normal people overcome extraordinary things. Its why I love things like Godzilla, the Deadly Spawn, Junji Ito and H.P.Lovecraft; and why I can't stand slasher movies or exploitation films.

    Balrog99ZaghoulDev6
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 6,431
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Is it weird that I don't watch horror movies for "horror"? Horror doesn't really scare me, and the kind of stuff that does, is stuff that I deal with in life anyway and I don't need my escapism to be populated with it. I like horror for the imagination of it, the creative designs of monsters, and in seeing normal people overcome extraordinary things. Its why I love things like Godzilla, the Deadly Spawn, Junji Ito and H.P.Lovecraft; and why I can't stand slasher movies or exploitation films.

    Carpenter's 'The Thing' must be on your best of list then. Total classic!

    ZaghoulThacoBellDev6
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,839

    It is so... horribly spoony. Gonna buy the BluRay as soon as they finish filming that one, :o

    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 11,693
    @Kamigoroshi Love that one. Such a classic internet video. Wow, is that actually still inproduction? I thought it died.

  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,839
    Last backer update of Ginosaji was two months ago. Looks like they are still shooting in 2019. Then again, this movie is supposed to be 9 hours long, so there... ༽つ۞﹏۞༼つ

    ThacoBell
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited August 2019
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I had the unfortunate experience of watching the remake of "I Spit on Your Grave" last night, and it's impossible not to comment. This is a repulsive movie on every level.

    Almost as if that was the whole point?...
    I mean, I didn't quite enjoy it either, but surely you knew what you were getting yourself into.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I haven't watched Human Centipede, Cannibal Holocaust or the Serbian Movie even though reviews are mixed to cautiously favorable. They seem more like vomit-inducing movies than art to me...

    Cannibal Holocaust is absolutely worth watching, if just for the wow factor. I'm still amazed they could pull off that impalement scene in 1980.
    It, uh... It does feature some real animal deaths though, so... Yeah, that sucks. But the movie is actually pretty good for what it is.
    Human Centipede is just goddamn retarded. Haven't watched Serbian Movie yet though it's on my list.

    Balrog99
Sign In or Register to comment.