Skip to content

Companion AI Suggestion and Questions

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
So, I've been noticing something about the companion AI that makes them so frustrating and hard to use. I recently completed an SoU run, and I'm now in the beginning of an OC run, and I'm noticing that both Dorna and Tomi keep switching targets almost every round.

When we're in a mob of enemies, that means they take attacks of opportunity from every enemy in the mob all at once. That usually makes them die within a couple of rounds against strong enemies unless I stop fighting and do nothing but heal them over and over. Meanwhile, they keep changing targets almost every round and taking yet another flurry of blows that undoes whatever healing I did for them.

Has it been suggested yet to Beamdog that they do something about this problem? Is it on the Trello board? I guess it would be labeled "Improve Companion AI" or something like that. If so, what is the status of that request? Also, why is it such an apparently difficult and big deal to get a companion to always attack the same target you are attacking? Will the "Guard Me" command do that? The times I've used "Guard Me", it seems to often cause them to stand still instead of fighting what I'm fighting if I'm between that enemy and the companion.

I know Tony K's AI is out and is now available on the Steam workshop. I really don't like it because of how it makes every enemy in a dungeon come running for your location as soon as you enter the dungeon, making you fight the entire dungeon almost all at once. And I think it often undermines the design intent of programmed encounters for a dungeon or a boss fight. For those still using the Tony K AI, does it fix the problem of the companions constantly switching targets during combat?

Comments