Skip to content

ERROR: Failure("SPIN920.SPL: read out of bounds")?

shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
edited July 2018 in General Modding
I have been trying for a week to get a working install of EET going on my MacBook Pro. I have gotten this error several times with different mods or different components within mods during an EET install on MacOS. I am using @subtledoctor OS X Intsaller and the newest version of WEIDU. When I try to install Spell Revisions and the first component I get the error, but only if install as part of EET. Not of I install on unmoved game. I get the same error while trying to install reduced XP component for quests as part of EET Tweaks. I also got it on a couple of other mods. Anybody have an idea what it means?

Also, I get an error on other mods about a parsing.error. What is a parsing.error and how do I fix?
Post edited by shylaman on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ckoeckoe Member Posts: 26
    Well, might you be using the 2.5 version ? Then it might be the well documented problem introduced with 2.5 described in this thread ?

If yes, then the error message shown in the subject has most probably nothing to do with EET, but only with the patchlevel of the base game and eventually mods which have not been updated yet and/or workarounds which do not happen automatically in some installer :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    I'll experiment with the fix posted in that thread, though I am not sure how NI works. As far as being well documented, I wouldn't go that far. One thread, not sticky noted, not in any of pinned threads about installing mods, etc., but buried in a thread only for SCS (which I wasn't having an issue with).

Yes, I am using the newest versiosn of SoD and BG2EE. I probably should have stayed with "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but since it has been six months or so since I last played I figured best to try to be current before a new run through. 12+ hours of installing and reinstalling trying different things .... it seems being current was a bad idea. :(

Anyhow, I appreciate pointing me in the right direction. I have never used SR before, thought I'd give it a whirl. Plus, was planning on cleric/thief and wanted to add Cyric kit to the priest, but Divine Remix isn't installing kits properly. Maybe a 2.5 issue, too?
  • ckoeckoe Member Posts: 26
    Hello shylaman,

with "well documented problem" I was refering only to the documentation of the issue you might be having. Unfortunalety the same really does not apply to the solution, I agree. I am waiting for an "automatic" in some fixpack, SCS/SR or tools similar to BWS, too. That's why I am monitoring this.

ckoe said:

Well, might you be using the 2.5 version ? Then it might be the well documented problem introduced with 2.5 described in this thread

Yeah but:
    shylaman said:

When I try to install Spell Revisions and the first component I get the error, but only if install as part of EET. Not of I install on unmoved [unmodded?] game.

If the mod works on BG2EE v2.5 but not on EET, then it seems like a problem with EET - not the 2.5 patch.
    True. But the error fits. Anyway, k4thos appears to have started working again on it, so filing a bug report against EET might be in order then ?

I tried again today. I exported the spells as per the thread suggested using NI and placed into /override. Still no luck. I posted on G3. I'll see if anybody knows a fix. Install order:

BGEE SoD
    BGIIEE
    BG1NPC
    BG1NPC Music
    BG1 NPCs
    BG1 Unfinished Business *all

EET

Ascension
    BGE Mini Quests and Encounters *all
    Questpack
    Sirene’s Call
    Assassinations
    Back to Brynnlaw

Amber
    Angelo
    Isra
    Keto
    de’Arnise Romance
    Banter Pack
    Crossmod Banter

Item Revisions
    Spell Revisions

Unfinished Business
    Alternatives
    The Wheels of Prophecy
    Thief Stronghold
    Skip Chateau Irenicus
    IWDification

Divine Remix
    Song & Silence *all
    Rogue Rebalancing
    WSR
    Refinements *shapeshifting fix

Tweaks Anthology
    SCS
    EET Tweaks
    aTweaks
    UITweaks *permanent thieving button
    NPCEE
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited July 2018

If the mod works on BG2EE v2.5 but not on EET, then it seems like a problem with EET - not the 2.5 patch.

@subtledoctor, such generalization is not warranted unless you compare BG2:EE with the same BG2 mods installed, not just testing it on clean game. I've just tried installing SR v4 Beta 15 on clean EET and there are no errors whatsoever, so it's not EET that is a problem here.

From what I see SPIN920 (Minor Spell Turning) is a spell changed by patch 2.5 and @shylaman installed several tweak mods that may have affected this spell. In different topic you've mentioned something about outdated detectable spells implementation in several mods, so maybe that is what is causing trouble here?

edit: looks like those tweak mods are actually later in install order. In such case maybe Big World Fixpack (if you used it) causes trouble. Or maybe Ascension messes up with spells (not sure if it uses detectable spells). Just a guess, no idea really. SR works fine without other mods in my EET installation though (on top of BG2:EE with patch v2.5.16.6)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I did use Big World Fixpack, but not on Spell Revisions. One of the threads or readme files listed the mods which need the fix pack to patch before using with EET. SR was not one of them, so I didn't run the Big World fix pack with it in the game directory.

I will try an install just with EET and SR and see what happens.
    Installed with EET only. Success. I swear I had tried this on one of my attempts. So, not sure what mod prior to it is messing things up ...
    edited July 2018
    @shylaman, just to be sure, since you're on Mac OS. Are you sure that none of the mods you install uses weidu 245? Weidu 246 changelog mentions "Fix regression in ALTER_EFFECT" - problem introduced in previous version.
    @subtledoctor, shylaman uses your tool to install mods. Does it update all weidu files into latest versions or maybe it skips auto update?

I think what happens is, some mods (including but possibly not limited to those with Detectable Spells) that patch SPIN920 and similar spells end up corrupting the files; and the next mod thst comes along and tryes to patch them throws errors. So probably need to examine load order and/or change-log and see which mods altered those files previous to the error.

yeah, change-log would be helpful here. Can you prepare terminal code for shylaman that prints the change-log? (I don't know mac os terminal syntax)
    After testing with various mods it appears to be related to ascension.
    edited July 2018
    @shylaman, technically you could probably solve this particular issue by copying SPIN920.SPL from ascension backup directory into override after installing it, but I wouldn't bother considering later in your load order there are more mods that use detectable spells (or similar patching, not sure if ds is the culprit here, maybe it's a problem with built-in weidu macros etc.) which, as @subtledoctor mentioned, will likely introduce the same issue. Some effort to figure out what exactly corrupts these spells edited in patch 2.5 is needed to fix those errors once and for all. (don't count on me doing the investigation, though :P)
    Post edited by swit on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.