Skip to content

Lore problems with importing a BG Charname into IWDEE (Spoilers for IWDEE, BGEE and BG2EE)

First off, let me just state that I know there are problems with actually importing the character file because of differences in the rules between the titles, I'm ok with that, so I would be using EEKeper to simply edit the stats of a IWD party, that is not really the issue here. With that said, let me expose the plan:

I've been playing the Baldur's Gate games for over a decade, replaying the saga every year or so, but I had never really tried IWD, because of the focus on combat over story. I'm a turn based kind of person, and I never really liked Bioware's "real time with pause" system all that much. I stuck with it because of the story and the characters.

So, recently, after navigating these boards for a while, I decided to try a FMT in BG for the first time. And I liked it more than any other class combination I had tried before. The one thing that irked me was being unable to get level 9 spells, but that was minor.

Even more recently, I finally bit the bullet and bought IWDEE on the last Steam sale. So after trying to solo it with both a FMT and a FMC (the FMT annoyed me for the lack of healing, the FMC for the overly linear story) I got the idea of "importing" (as I described above) my BG party to IWD. It would be like an extended Tales of the Sword Coast, where the werewolf island is Icewind Dale.

So, to clarify, the party would, after SOD, adventure a bit more before Irenicus does his little ambush, I have no problem with adapting my head canon to account for that. I'd then import my endgame SOD save to BG2 normally and simply EEKeper his experience to reflect IWD and go from there. Yes, he will be wickedly overleveled by BG2, but I don't care, I've played this games dozens of times and the Bhaalspawn saga has alwas been a power fantasy for me anyway.

That plan would perhaps solve both issues, by allowing my FMT to reach level 9 spells and also making IWD more engaging. After all, SOD is also very linear, but I'm fine with it because it's another chapter in Charname's epic tale.

So after that wall of text comes my question, and the reason this is on a IWD board, and not a BG one. I've never played IWD after Dragon's Eye. I know IWD happens 90 years before BG, so the Time Of Troubles didn't happen yet. In game, in the Vale of Shadows, you meet followers of Myrkul, who is still alive, and is mentioned as so. I also know Behifet is the big bad in IWD, and we see him in SOD. So for the people who finished IWD and its expansions, are there any other lore problems that would become apparent later? Perhaps a reference to Bhall being alive, for example?

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If you have Xan in your party, you'll need to head-canon the conversation when you...

meet his cousin.
  • HurodrikHurodrik Member Posts: 3

If you have Xan in your party, you'll need to head-canon the conversation when you...

meet his cousin.
    Oh, yes.
    The elf guy you meet in East Haven and then find his corpse in the first level of Dragon's Eye, right?
    Thanks.

That's not a problem, I usually go with the canon party anyway, never much liked Xan. I'm the only horribly pessimistic person my party needs.

PS: I was under the impression spoilers were ok in this forum so long as I indicated their presence in the title. Should I edit my OP to add spoiler tags? I'm sorry if that's the case, I've been reading these forums for a long time but this is my first time posting.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2018
    Yep that's him.

I used the spoiler tags just in case you (or another reader) didn't want the Easter egg revealed.

EDIT: Also, if you're looking for a BG-like party experience for IWDEE (and are open to modding the game), check out Kulyok's IWDNPC mod.

http://www.pocketplane.net/iwdnpc
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    There are also @Sinaherib 's Turald and @LavaDelVortel 's Dusky.
  • HurodrikHurodrik Member Posts: 3
    I am modding the game, I can't really play the IE games without the Tweaks Anthology anymore, but unless there is a mod that adds the BG canon party characters to the party creation pool (to save me from having to manually edit in the portraits and such) I'm not really interested in NPC mods for this playthrough. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I'll take note of those mods for future reference.