Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Which Cleric (NPC) do you prefer?

13»

Comments

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 239
    Branwen (Cleric) [Wis:16 | Dex: 16 | Con: 15]
    @Chronicler I agree, it's rather disappointing how they went ahead with the NPCs in BG2, but we are where we are I guess

Arcanjo
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 98
    Viconia (Cleric) [Wis:15 | Dex: 19 | Con: 8]
    Yeah agreed, joking aside, I also wish we had more of the BG1 npcs in BG2, especially Xzar and Monteron. Considering I hate Jaheria, would love to have more options for a consistent party throughout the series

Arcanjo
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 184
    Yeslick (Fighter/Cleric) [Str: 15 | Wis:16 | Dex: 12 | Con: 17]
    Generally choose Yeslick as secondary fighter and main healer over Jaheira and don't have a full cleric or druid in the party.

I do like Viconia's personality, but don't like how weak (CON) she is, so would take Branwen over her.

Arcanjo
  • stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 21
    From AD & D vol 2 "Magical resistance enables a creature to ignore the effects of spells and spell-like powers. It does not protect the creature from magical weapon attacks."
    In other words Viconia is more resistance to charm and hold person spells but still is susceptible to fireballs. This gives her my vote for a cleric. This is an innate ability. In a room full of confusion-casting clerics, she can just walk around and play Whack-a-mole.

• LammasLammas Member Posts: 144
    Viconia (Cleric) [Wis:15 | Dex: 19 | Con: 8]
    Yeslick drives a hard bargain and does make it into quite a lot of my BG1 parties. I probably used to use him more than Viconia but these days it's something like 50/50 for me depending on the party. I do really like the unique magic resistance she has but I guess the selling point for me is the feeling of continuation since she is in the sequels. It's not that hard to buff her STR with items and even in BG1 and SOD there are plenty of fortitude potions that fix her HP problems for a good while.

Also, you get Yeslick kind of late in the game (at least if you are like me and have done pretty much all of the wilderness before going into cloackwood). If instead of the mines he would be held prisoner in the bandit camp (that would kind of make sense too) and you'd be able to pick him up earlier I think he'd definitely get my vote for BG1.

Jaheira is a nice contender but I just really never use her in BG1. All the rest of them I never pick up these days for the kind of silly reason that I find them too annoying to deal with.

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 574
    stu-k said:

From AD & D vol 2 "Magical resistance enables a creature to ignore the effects of spells and spell-like powers. It does not protect the creature from magical weapon attacks."
    In other words Viconia is more resistance to charm and hold person spells but still is susceptible to fireballs. This gives her my vote for a cleric. This is an innate ability. In a room full of confusion-casting clerics, she can just walk around and play Whack-a-mole.

I'm pretty sure Viconia's magic resistance does work on fireballs.

It just doesn't work on enchanted weaponry, like Varscona.

StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 7,059
    The only non-evil cleric that is readily available is the one I usually go with.

JLee
    Vic's magic resistance shouldn't work on attack spells. What you might be experiencing is her saving throws against an attack. char can get a saving throw against attacks, whether paralyze & poison, rod & staffs or wands, petrify & polymorph, breath weapons, and spells. Each spell will tell you if a saving throw is allowed. Fireball has a saving throw for 1/2 damage. Greater Malison does not. So Vic would have a 50% resistance to the spell Greater Malison. Branwen would not. There are several enemies that seem to be immune to spells and such. Your tactics need to change when they're resistance to your spells and wands, so its nice to have someone like that in your party. Especially fighting other clerics who are fond of debilitating spells. I get the helm of opposite alignment at Durlag's Tower

then I don't worry about my reputation.

• SedaSeda Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2018
    Branwen mola. Era una estatua de piedra y siempre ha sido una clériga de Tempus con su martillo espiritual.

• thiefthief Member Posts: 35
    I voted Branwen because I pick her at lvl 1 and she's used more often than the rest. I don't use Tempus kit, but she's decent even as a pure Cleric, if you insist on having one.

PFE 10', Defensive Harmony, Free Action - Branwen gets 4th level access early and she has a good number of 2nd/3rd level spells, perhaps more than other casters (need to double check). Animate Dead is always useful, you can get good results with Holy Smite (BGT), so these slots are valuable. If you give her Tome of Dexterity (16->17), she can be dualed to Cleric/Thief, it's nice for a change.

Since I prefer Fighter/Cleric dual- and multiclasses, I sometimes rush to get Yeslick early - it comes naturally because I like unlocking Baldur's Gate and Sorcerous Sundries ASAP. I also like Tweak Anthology's component that gives ToB style level-ups for NPCs. Almost a must-have for BG1 since there are 7 characters inaccessible before Cloakwood!

I almost never pick Tiax or Viconia, but I'd like to revisit Quayle in my next BGT playthrough. Great portrait, nice multiclass, but subpar stats.

13»