Skip to content

Improved movement speed outside of combat

CruelIntentionsCruelIntentions Member Posts: 10
edited August 2018 in General Modding
Is there a mod that can offer something similar like The Paws of the Cheetah, but only increases movement speed outside of combat? I figured that would make exploring a map with a full party much quicker without it being overpowered.

Comments

• ManiacalFreakManiacalFreak Member Posts: 20
    It might be possible to do something like that with a script, but you can already use CTRL-J to move around quickly.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    You can change the frame rate in the .ini file, which speeds everything up, including combat. Autopause becomes crucial!
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    procco said:

You can change the frame rate in the .ini file, which speeds everything up, including combat. Autopause becomes crucial!

It's baldur.lua , not baldur.ini since 2.0+.
  • CruelIntentionsCruelIntentions Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2018
    I ended up changing the frame rate, using CTRL-J and giving my entire party the Paws of the Cheetah, but still think it would be nice to only have movement speed increased outside of combat as I do enjoy slower paced combat (and CTRL-J to avoid needing to backtrack).
    Bubb said:

Hi @CruelIntentions,

Seems you've already got a solution, (and I'm quite late to the party!), but I hacked up a very simple mod that should make your party move as if they had Paws of the Cheetah outside of combat. Should work for all the Infinity Engine games, even the originals!

I've attached the mod, have fun. :)

I've tried out your mod and it works like a charm :) . Thanks! I definitely like this solution over using 6 Paws of the Cheetah which feels a bit like cheating and prevents me from using other boots and setting the frame rate to 60 which is a bit too hectic for my taste.

I already explored most of the Sword Coast without speed enhancements :D , but this mod will be great for the rest of the saga :) .
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    Bubb said:

Hi @CruelIntentions,

Seems you've already got a solution, (and I'm quite late to the party!), but I hacked up a very simple mod that should make your party move as if they had Paws of the Cheetah outside of combat. Should work for all the Infinity Engine games, even the originals!

I've attached the mod, have fun. :)

oooooh I didn't even realize I wanted this till i found this thread! Where in an install do you think this should fall?
    Gusinda
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998

oooooh I didn't even realize I wanted this till i found this thread! Where in an install do you think this should fall?

The only thing that could possibility interfere with the mod is another mod that prepends BALDUR.BCS with blocks that don't end with a Continue() statement.

So, it should work in whatever order you want to install it in. If you want to be absolutely sure it works, I would install it after all other mods that alter scripts, (which is basically every mod ever, so install it last if you are worried about compatibility).
    @Bubb Curiously it stopped working when I got to Siege of Dragonspear. Did you try the mod with SoD?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Inspired by your request I have also created a small tweak that allows you to move with increased speed outside of combat.

I'm thinking of adding it to the Tweaks Anthology eventually, as it's too small to be released as a separate mod. But I can still provide a standalone version of the tweak here if you (or anyone else) is interested.
    [Deleted User]GusindaFlashburnLudwig_II
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Do these mods also increase the speed of monsters and NPCs? I like the idea of my characters moving a bit faster to speed up the game but if I can run away from everyone if I get into trouble it will feel like cheating to me.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    My version affects only regular party members (i.e. no summons, no familiars or other "companions", and no monsters or neutral creatures). Running away from enemies will probably still be as difficult as without the tweak. The speed bonus kicks in only if party is not in combat mode and no hostile creatures are in sight.
    Permidion_Starkgorgonzola
    edited September 2018
    argent77 said:

Inspired by your request I have also created a small tweak that allows you to move with increased speed outside of combat.

I'm thinking of adding it to the Tweaks Anthology eventually, as it's too small to be released as a separate mod. But I can still provide a standalone version of the tweak here if you (or anyone else) is interested.

I wouldn't mind a standalone mod that's compatible with siege of dragonspear as I'm currently playing it lol.

I don't know if it's already possible, but another thing that would be convenient is if my entire party could switch between ranged and melee weapons using a hotkey.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    argent77 said:

My version affects only regular party members (i.e. no summons, no familiars or other "companions", and no monsters or neutral creatures). Running away from enemies will probably still be as difficult as without the tweak. The speed bonus kicks in only if party is not in combat mode and no hostile creatures are in sight.

That sounds great. I would definitely use that.
  • dorifdorif Member Posts: 16
    I need to make more test but your mod looks perfect. congratulations and thank you ! Imo it should be part of the tweak anthology mod
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    did not know about it, really useful.
    even if a little dangerous when the party thief is exploring an area or dungeon for traps, using the bots my thief sometimes runs into the traps and then detects them. true that an experienced player knows the location of every trap, but for new players it can be a problem.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998

@Bubb Curiously it stopped working when I got to Siege of Dragonspear. Did you try the mod with SoD?

I forgot that SoD and ToB use different global scripts, so that's why the mod won't work in those campaigns. I would fix it, but frankly @argent77's tweak is, by default, better than mine. Uninstall my tweak and use his instead.
    gorgonzolaGusindasuy
  • ToveriJuriToveriJuri Member Posts: 14
    A little bit of thread necromancy. Is there some edit I could do with NearInfinity to the argent77 version to make the effect apply to the whole party including summons. This tweak is really nice for fastening the pace of exploration, but at the same time it makes some Summons almost useless because they can't keep up with you as you explore through the map. Some summons don't really last more than a fight or two, but it's pretty detrimental to something like Animate Dead skeletons which last for hours. Normally you'd be able to explore a whole map with them, but with high enough speed up they can't keep up and end up being pretty useless. Another issue is that summons who are slower than your party tend to get in the way of your characters and block their path forcing them to lag down behind unless you manually move the summon aside.

Still enjoy this and would rather play with this tweak than without it even with these issues.
    Adam_en_tiumsuy
  • DregoreDregore Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the problem with it seeming to stop working when SoD starts, and im using argents version. I put the exe into the bg ee folder with the other A7 main folder and ran it, worked fine, then played well all through regular baldurs gate, I got to SoD and it seems to not be working. It is just such a timesaving mod and really something that I would have liked to see developers at least put as a game option in EE because out of combat movement is just tedious.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited September 2023
    The problem with the summons also apply to familiars, I guess. Some of my NPC mods use a familiar status to follow as 7th party member, how would they be included into the increased movement rate?
    EDIT: This post was supposed to be in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72120/improved-movement-speed-outside-of-combat
    Post edited by jastey on