Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The Drow City of Rilauven

ShandyrShandyr Member, Array Posts: 8,258
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more information on the Drow City of Rilauven.

I would especially like to know where it is located. The more precise the location, the better.

This source says that it's located near Neverwinter.

I do remember though that, in Icewind Dale 1, Maiden Ilmadia mentions attacking a nearby Drow City.
Wasn't that Rilauven?

But Rilauven can't be near Dorn's Deep and near Neverwinter at the same time. It's been quite some time since I last played IWD2 or IWD:EE. I'd be very grateful if you could help me out with this.

Cheers.

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,146
    edited August 26
    I found this.

Regarding the location, it says:
    Rilauven is the Drow city deep under Torr Doral mountain.

That seems precise enough. ;)

Regarding "Torr Doral", it says:
    “The Mountain of Gold”
    A traditional, monarchial, and rather small Dwarven nation built in and around a single massive mountain. Torr Doral is practically Dwarven only
    Capitol: Demerand
    Borders: Astor

Hope that helps! :smiley:

Edit: Here's some more information about it.

GusindaAedan
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 33
    @Rik_Kirtaniya Those looks like completely diffirent worlds. I think they just used the same name for the city.

Do we know where Dorn's Deep is exactly? I don't remember IWD2 well, but comparing with the location of Easthaven on IWD world map and the map of the Sword Coast it should be about 150-200 miles from Neverwinter. If Rilauven is somewhere between them, it could be relatively close to both. Was it mentioned anywhere besides IWD and IWD2?

Shandyr
  • ShandyrShandyr Member Posts: 8,258
    edited August 26
    That's the problem with many area locations from Icewind Dale. It's hard to know their location in the campaign world. Most areas may have just been created specifically for the game and are not even based on official locations of the game world.

So the answer to the question of the location of Rilauven may very well lie within Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2, only.

The worst case scenario would be that they retconned the location of that city from one game to the next.

In my opinion, Easthaven and Neverwinter are far too far from each other to call any area close to both.
    That would be a huge "relatively" close. But then again, everything is relative :tongue:

I agree that the links above do not speak of the same Drow City. I am speaking of Rilauven in the Forgotten Realms, the city Malavon Despana comes from. And I am speaking about that "nearby Drow City" that Maiden Ilmadia mentions in IWD1.

I would like to find out if they are one and the same city. And the location of it (or them, in case they are not).

@Aedan
    Haven't you played IWD2 recently? Do you remember Rilauven being mentioned?
    Would you give me a save game right before descending into the Underdark at the Blackraven Monastery?

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,146
    xizor said:

@Rik_Kirtaniya Those looks like completely diffirent worlds. I think they just used the same name for the city.

Shandyr said:

I agree that the links above do not speak of the same Drow City. I am speaking of Rilauven in the Forgotten Realms, the city Malavon Despana comes from. And I am speaking about that "nearby Drow City" that Maiden Ilmadia mentions in IWD1.

Oh, I see. They sounded so very similar, and I had no idea that they belonged to different worlds. :sweat_smile: It's quite confusing when similarly named locations are used in different worlds, especially if the locations are culturally similar (in this case, Drow City) as well.

edited August 26
    Okay, so I talked to Maiden Ilmadia:

Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds as if Rilauven is indeed VERY close by to the Great Forge of Lower Dorn's Deep. As in "just around the corner" actually.

Then there would be no way Rilauven can be considered "close to Neverwinter".

Even if we don't know the exact location of Dorn's Deep. But we know it's somewhere in the Spine of the World. And Neverwinter is still some way off from that.

The question is, what does Icewind Dale 2 say about Rilauven?
    How does this source come to the conclusion that it's near Neverwinter?

edited August 26
    One more time back to Ilmadia:

She says that the cavern of Rilauven is "roughly a quarter of a league" away.

According to this one league is 4.83 kilometers. Divided by four to get a quarter makes: roughly 1.2 kilometers (~0.75 miles).

That is very close by. While Neverwinter probably is hundreds of miles away.

Now look at this map:

That would be about 200 miles which are roughly 320 kilometers.

Rilauven can't be close to the Spine of the World AND Neverwinter when it sits right under the Spine of the World. And why would you use Neverwinter as a referential point anyway?

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 7,797
    I am at the Ice Temple. I can send you a save game in September when I come back home.

Shandyr
    @Aedan
    Thank you :)

Also if you decide to go on playing Icewind Dale 2, would you help me out and pay close attention to the whole Underdark part of the game and everything that involves Rilauven? Malavon Despana should have something to say about it.

Two sets of eyes see more than one :)

Hmm, nevermind. I found a youtube video with Malavon:

Most interesting concerning the location of Rilauven is this:

So the driders from Rilauven infested Lower Dorn's Deep which is still in the Spine of the World of course.

The driders would not come 200 miles from Neverwinter only to settle in Lower Dorn's Deep. On the contrary, Malavon's dialogue matches that of Maiden Ilmadia: The Drow City Rilauven is very close to Lower Dorn's Deep.

And unless I see some evidence for the contrary I must assume that this source is mistaken.

Gusinda
    Man, all this time reading Malavon's surname "Despana" thinking it seemed so familiar...

I had to google it to finally make the connection D'OH!

Yes, it's House Despana! Same house as in Ust Natha.

And they actually seem to be related.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/House_Despana

Though I would like to see some evidence for the information under "Family Tree". Where's the proof?

Gusinda