Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Fighter less party is hard ?

DanacmDanacm Member, Array Posts: 432
I never play iwd without fighters. How hard will be it in core ? My plan is sorcerer, druid, cleric may be a shaman, a bard or mage/thief or a thief kit. What do you think ?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,107
    not very hard, but get that cleric ready to do some heavy lifting

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 432
    Hm, a totemic druid or shapeshifter better in this case than vanilla druid ?

• SkatanSkatan Member Posts: 3,360
    Well they both offer opportunities for tanking a bit, but I think the summons are probably better overall than the werewolf since that get you free actions from the druid themselves to do some casting as well while the summons tank. The cleric can also summon some bones to tank for you, but would probably still benefit from acting also as tank themselves with maxed out AC from heavy plate and shield etc while your squishies stand in the back firing spells and projectiles. The avenger is a good option as well since the get web as a spell and that's an excellent spell for locking down mobs and fire from a far. I have never played shaman really so can't speak for how effective their spirit summoning would be in IWD.

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 3,179
    Usually I don't have the patience to play a fighterless party due to the lack of APR, what can make some fights really long and boring.

I just started doing this kind of party with Deities of Faerun, using some warrior-ish deities that conceive extra APR.

StummvonBordwehr
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,107
    apr is more important for groups of enemies with larger hitpoint pools. in core iwd, enemies (except some, and except in HoW) don't have a lot of hit points and it's more important to hit hard and accurately, and that's not a problem with spells and cleric buffs. for example, great casting capacity might make dragon's eye easier even without any warriors (only if you "abuse" resting though...)

• BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 532
    A highly spell based party is going to test the player's patience ^^
    Personally, I tried to be patient but sometime into the game it always ran out :(

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 584
    A general note about party builds:

I try to maximize the number of party members, who can fill more roles than one.

Example:
    Undead Hunter
    Longsword, throwing axe

Fighter/Cleric
    Flail/hammer/mace etc., sling

Bard
    Halberd, crossbow

Fighter/Mage
    Twohanded sword, bow

Fighter/Thief
    Longsword, throwing dagger

Fighter/Druid
    Scimitar, dart

2 possible tanks, 6 possible ranged characters, 6 possible melee characters and 4 casters. Maybe 4½, if counting the Undead Hunter as a situational caster. I seem to find that the more diverse the characters, the better they perform. I suppose I could create a party like the one suggested, but personally I find that they supplement each other poorly, if I focus too hard on only one aspect of combat, like purely magic or melee. But that's just me.

StummvonBordwehrSkatan