Skip to content

What's your favorite artwork/map in all BG games?

SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
Hello all,

Sometimes when you play the game for the umpfteenth time, it's hard to appreciate the artwork 'cause you've seen it so many times already. But I took the time just for fun and went through all the maps to actually look at the artwork and see if I could find a favorite. It was hard! The games have many beautiful maps and artwork and it was hard to find a favorite. So I thought, what do others think?

I couldn't decide on just one but I've kept it down to the top three I like. Do you agree, do you disagree? Post YOUR favorite artwork and state your reasons for loving that (or those) one(s) below. I'd love to see what you guys think.

My favorite BG1 open map is this little map. It's insignificant from a playthrough point of view, but if I had to settle down in any area on the sword coast, this might just be the place I would build my home:

My favorite stronghold map is by far the one and only Gnoll Stronghold. This map is just perfect in every way. Now if ONLY we could actually enter the stronghold, but one can dream. The details on this map is ridiculously good:

I think most of the art in BG1 is better on average, but I think this map stands out as something special. It's the Tethir Forest and even if it can be a PITA to run around the walkable areas on the fallen trees, it's truly spectular:

So, hit me with your favorite map/areas! All input is welcome, in door areas, outdoors, BG1, SoA, BG2, ToB. I've not included IWD here, but feel free if you want to do that!

Cheers mates.
[Deleted User]Balrog99ThacoBellJoenSoBelgarathMTHStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    For me, I like Durlag's Tower for the Stronghold Map

For Open maps, I like the Dryad Falls area. Nice, open, and with a scenic wonder (i.e. the falls)

I also rather like Wyrm's Crossing. Wooded and close to the city. Like living in the 'burbs.
    ZaghoulSkatanThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I like being able to walk out to little islands that at first look inaccessible, so both Bear River and North Nashkel are a couple of favorites. The Bear River island in particular could use a good encounter or NPC added to it.

The North Nashkel Island got even better as the mod The Stone of Askavar adds an entrance to a very nice spider cave to it.

Gulleykin I like because I always wanted to be able to walk up to that nice high plateau. I've thought that would be a nice place to add something up there.

SkatanThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    BG1: Gnoll Stronghold

SoD: Castle Dragonspear

BG2: Windspear Hills

IWD: Everything.
    SkatanThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Thanks for all your comments and descriptions of your favorite artwork. I probably should have included IWD in the topic title as well, that was a mistake from my side.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Waukeen's Promenade for me.

It's just so detailed compared to anything you come to before it. You crawl out of the drab starting dungeon and are greeted with this bright, detailed bustling market. IMHO it's so much more beautiful than anything that came in the first game, and a great way to show off what they could do 2 years later.
    ThacoBellSkatan
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2018

Lavok's Sphere always did tickle my fancy.
    ThacoBellSkatan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Shandyr said:

Lavok's Sphere always did tickle my fancy.

I dunt know... For some reason that artwork makes me want to go on a diet...

Round is justice!
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    "You spin me right round, baby
    Right round like a record, baby
    Right round round round..."

Youthquake FTW!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm a big fan of the Cloakwood map with the spiders.
    Zaghoul
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    ThacoBellSkatan