Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

There's currently a forum problem with avatars not showing in reactions.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The most useful wand in Siege of Dragonspear?

NervaNerva Member Posts: 123
I liked the poll that was done in the BG forum, so I'm posting one to rank them in the context of the higher levels in SoD.

If you reply, I suggest ranking your preferred wands from favorite to least favorite.

The most useful wand in Siege of Dragonspear? 21 votes

Wand of Fire
66%
FlashburnTimbo0o0o0Blackravenfluke13thespaceNeverusedNervaRavenslightAerakarJGPEnuhalWarChiefZekeArctodusOrim_Samite_Healer 14 votes
Wand of Lightning
4%
Mortianna 1 vote
Wand of Frost
0%
Wand of Magic Missiles
0%
Wand of Paralyzation
14%
JuliusBorisovThacoBellRaduziel 3 votes
Wand of Polymorph
0%
Wand of the Heavens
0%
Wand of Fear
4%
DreadKhan 1 vote
Wand of Monster Summoning
9%
semiticgodStummvonBordwehr 2 votes
Wand of Sleep
0%
Post edited by Nerva on
RavenslightBlackravenJuliusBorisovAerakarMortianna

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,593
    Wand of Fire
    A tough call for me.

I love me some fire, but summoning minions to occupy my enemies' minions can turn the tide in difficult situations.

Though my druid prefers the Wand of the Heavens. Bringing down the righteous fury of her god is just so... satisfying. :)

Sigh… I just plain love wands. All of them!

My pretties…

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,528
    edited September 23
    Wand of Fear
    Double or triple casting Fear wands is surprisingly effective. I like fire too though.

• NervaNerva Member Posts: 123
    Wand of Fire
    I'm not a fan of fear-type spells, because it scatters low-level enemies, and chasing after them can lead the party into traps or ambushes by more powerful enemies (while the party is disorganized).

What about the Wand of Sleep? Obviously it neutralizes the targets and makes them easy kills, but is it effective against Sod-level enemies?

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 7,035
    Wand of Paralyzation
    The sleep spell is certainly effective against some of the large groups in SoD. Don't know if the wand calculates differently though.

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 1,084
    Wand of Fire
    The only members worth a party slot are those that can carry a Wand of Fire. Letting off 4 or 5 of those at once at SOD's massive enemy mobs is incredibly satisfying.

Wand of Fire
    ThacoBell said:

The sleep spell is certainly effective against some of the large groups in SoD. Don't know if the wand calculates differently though.

From what I can tell from the wiki's quotes from the in-game descriptions, the Sleep spell is a save vs. death at a -3 penalty, while the Wand of Sleep is a save vs. wands (with no mention of a penalty). I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the game actually calculates it that way, since I've noticed the in-game descriptions sometimes vary from how it is actually coded.

Wand of Fire

The only members worth a party slot are those that can carry a Wand of Fire. Letting off 4 or 5 of those at once at SOD's massive enemy mobs is incredibly satisfying.

For classes that can't use the Wand of Fire, I put Potions of Explosions in their quick-slot instead, so that I have the option of "unleashing hell" in those battles.

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,355
    Wand of Lightning
    Simply for how useful it is in Avernus and the final battle.

In the few times I've played SoD all the way through (insane difficulty), having a fully charged wand of lightning made all the difference between my party being made into a gruesome pâté and just barely winning.