Skip to content

The most useful wand in Siege of Dragonspear?

NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
I liked the poll that was done in the BG forum, so I'm posting one to rank them in the context of the higher levels in SoD.

If you reply, I suggest ranking your preferred wands from favorite to least favorite.
  1. The most useful wand in Siege of Dragonspear?65 votes
    1. Wand of Fire
      58.46%
    2. Wand of Lightning
        1.54%
    3. Wand of Frost
        0.00%
    4. Wand of Magic Missiles
        0.00%
    5. Wand of Paralyzation
      10.77%
    6. Wand of Polymorph
        0.00%
    7. Wand of the Heavens
        4.62%
    8. Wand of Fear
        7.69%
    9. Wand of Monster Summoning
      16.92%
    10. Wand of Sleep
        0.00%
Post edited by Nerva on
RavenslightBlackravenJuliusBorisovAerakarMortianna[Deleted User]

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    A tough call for me.

I love me some fire, but summoning minions to occupy my enemies' minions can turn the tide in difficult situations.

Though my druid prefers the Wand of the Heavens. Bringing down the righteous fury of her god is just so... satisfying. :)

Sigh… I just plain love wands. All of them!

My pretties…
    AerakarAxieDhariusSkatan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited September 2018
    Double or triple casting Fear wands is surprisingly effective. I like fire too though.
    Aerakar
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    I'm not a fan of fear-type spells, because it scatters low-level enemies, and chasing after them can lead the party into traps or ambushes by more powerful enemies (while the party is disorganized).

What about the Wand of Sleep? Obviously it neutralizes the targets and makes them easy kills, but is it effective against Sod-level enemies?
    ThacoBellAerakarContemplative_Hamster
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The sleep spell is certainly effective against some of the large groups in SoD. Don't know if the wand calculates differently though.
    semiticgoddess
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The only members worth a party slot are those that can carry a Wand of Fire. Letting off 4 or 5 of those at once at SOD's massive enemy mobs is incredibly satisfying.
    ArctodusAerakarBlackravenHempz
    ThacoBell said:

The sleep spell is certainly effective against some of the large groups in SoD. Don't know if the wand calculates differently though.

From what I can tell from the wiki's quotes from the in-game descriptions, the Sleep spell is a save vs. death at a -3 penalty, while the Wand of Sleep is a save vs. wands (with no mention of a penalty). I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the game actually calculates it that way, since I've noticed the in-game descriptions sometimes vary from how it is actually coded.

The only members worth a party slot are those that can carry a Wand of Fire. Letting off 4 or 5 of those at once at SOD's massive enemy mobs is incredibly satisfying.

For classes that can't use the Wand of Fire, I put Potions of Explosions in their quick-slot instead, so that I have the option of "unleashing hell" in those battles.
    Flashburn
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    Monster summoning wand is my favorite in the entire bg saga. Its really good to have extra meatshield
    Aerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

As you bring all wands from BG, I find the MS wand invaluable for Sarevok and then later for the tough mobs in SOD, especially the last SOD battle.
    Plus, you can get it charged with a 100 charges.

All the summons you could possibly want.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • piggy1753piggy1753 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2019
    Liked the wand of fear because firstly it is party friendly (unlike web for instance) so yous casters can use it when monsters are beating them. Also in some big fights you just want to avoid friendly fire because of allies.

Clerics can use it as well, making them more useful offensively.

I like to throw spells or shoot arrows at the enemy while they are running around.

Post edited by piggy1753 on
    Aerakar
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Most difficult mobs in SoD ( undead at the dwarven temple, caelar's crusaders, bugbears...) can be defeated by excessive use of rhis wand.
    Aerakar
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    As much as I like the AOE wands like the wand of fire, I find it really helpful to be able to do surgical strikes on creatures without risk to myself (at close range), party, or neutral bystanders. I like the wand of frost as well, but it's a risk with the possibility of destroying loot at times.
    AerakarNerva
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I make sure I can use 4-5 Wands of Fire at once, have one tanky boi with fire resistance and the rest is history.
    NervaDreadKhan
  • TheLungoTheLungo Member Posts: 21
    This game would be a nightmare in insane without plenty of wands of fire. Specially the lich dungeon that has packs of like 20 baddies.
    [Deleted User]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Want of Paralyzation is Insta-kill against some of the most powerful enemies. That gets my vote!
    DhariusHafir
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    My personal favourite is the Wand of Monster Summoning, but that's because I'm that kind of player that just likes to mob the enemy with overwhelming numbers to soak up all their fire and spells before sending my tanks in. (And if necessary, summoned monsters make for an excellent meatshield to bodyblock enemies while I hurl Fireballs, Oils of Burning, and Necklaces of Missiles into the fray.)

That said, Wands of Fire are a close second because of their dual role as Fireball/A.Scorcher sources, both of which have their own charges. The Scorcher is actually frighteningly powerful if given to a Hasted Mage who rapidly walks back and forth to trigger the burning multiple times on enemies.

Wand of Paralyzation is also a good secondary choice for those enemies that you just HAVE to neutralize early in the fight before they can cause havoc. (Nothing quite like paralyzing an enemy Thief and then having YOUR Thief backstab the Hells out of him. :P)

I found it amusing to give the Wand of Polymorph to Neera to use on difficult enemies, but it didn't see very much use in my playthrough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2019
    What @Balrog99 said, basically. This wand is lovely in all of the IE games, for this reason :)
    Post edited by Dharius on