Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

Trump and Conservatives are the chosen ones
    Trump and Conservatives are deplorables (degenerates)
    Trump and Conservatives are ruining the Country
    Trump and Conservatives are destroying the economy
    Trump and Conservatives are making us their slaves
    Trump and Conservatives must go for America to be Great Again.

Now replace Trump and Conservatives with Jews.... Are Trump and Conservatives really Nazis or :o

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2019
    I ate a car, it tasted good
    Replace the car and it's a hot dog!
    The point of this Nazi stuff is that Conservative indifference (or worse support) of the following is the same thing that happened before. Never again.

Conservatives are showing indifference or cheering to blatant law breaking. A President who obstructs co-equal branches of the government. A President who lies and scapegoats others all the time. Conservatives are ok with kids dying needlessly in concentration camps again. The Republican Senate is complicit in assaults on Democracy by stealing judicial appointments and saying they will work with the executive branch to defend a President caught red handed obstructing Congress and trying to rig the 2020 elections.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Didn't take more than a minute to find this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.koat.com/amp/article/border-deaths-under-obama-vs-trump/25687975

Give me some time and I can probably find out more stuff with a little digging. Amazing what one can find when he has a super-computer at his beck and call...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Didn't take more than a minute to find this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.koat.com/amp/article/border-deaths-under-obama-vs-trump/25687975

Give me some time and I can probably find out more stuff with a little digging. Amazing what one can find when he has a super-computer at his beck and call...

While the numbers for both administrations are high, it's important to note that not all these deaths happened in CBP custody.

"What we're seeing now is the deaths of children in custody, which is not something that occurred with this regularity in the Obama administration," said Rep.-elect Xochitl Torres Small.

Amazing what you can find when you actually read the articles. It also continues:

De Santiago also believes we might be hearing more about the migrant deaths because of the policies the Trump administration has implemented, such as detaining migrants in facilities for longer periods of time without proper medical attention.

"The trend towards more detention means there is more likelihood people are going to be very ill," De Santiago said.

Now lets take a look at the numbers:

in 2014 there were a total of 313 deaths at the southwest border, 251 in 2015 and 329 in 2016. Under the Trump administration, there were 294 in 2017.

It's interesting that they started at 2014, instead of 2008. I wonder why that would be?
    @deltago
    I read the article in it's entirety so I knew about the information you're referring to. I was just pointing out that Obama wasn't some Saint. If you want, I'm sure I can dig up more dirt about him, Bush, Bill Clinton, or go even further back to even worse pieces of shit than Trump like Lyndon Johnson, Eisenhower, Truman, or Franklin D. Roosevelt. Human experimentation? Escalation of the Vietnam War? Concentration camps for Japanese Americans? Eugenics? Mind-altering drugs administered without permission? Exposing citizens to radiation just to see what happens? Ditto with STD germs on Americans of color? All of this crap went on BEHIND THE SCENES while those presidents acted so civil and used all the right fancy words. We didnt suddenly become Nazis then and we aren't going to now...
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Something interesting I just learned from Deltago's link and links from there.

MS-13 STARTED in America (Los Angeles). As did Barrio 18. We exported them to El Salvador when we arrested them in gang crackdowns in the 1990s.

Apparently in 2014, a breakdown in a gang truce between the two in El Salvador is one of the main causes for people to want to GTFO of there and cause the migrant crisis, similar to the Syrian Civil War.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Balrog99's logic, "People died under someone that wasn't Trump, therefore Trump is okay."

You can complain about putting words in his mouth all you want, but he has constantly responded to criticisms of Trump the same way. "Oh no that didn't happen at all, where's your proof." The proof gets brought out, followed by either just ingnoring the post altogether, or, "Well OTHER people did it, so you shouldn't complain." Nothing like moving goalposts and whataboutism. Because its been made abundantly clear that facts don't matter.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Balrog99's logic, "People died under someone that wasn't Trump, therefore Trump is okay."

You can complain about putting words in his mouth all you want, but he has constantly responded to criticisms of Trump the same way. "Oh no that didn't happen at all, where's your proof." The proof gets brought out, followed by either just ingnoring the post altogether, or, "Well OTHER people did it, so you shouldn't complain." Nothing like moving goalposts and whataboutism. Because its been made abundantly clear that facts don't matter.

I never said Trump was Ok. He's not Hitler though. The hysteria on the left will lose them votes. That's all I'm saying. Period!

People in power do shitty things. All of them. Some of those things may be necessary, some may be misguided and some might be genuine abuses. That's why we have checks and balances to begin with. I don't like Trump's ignoring the House, but holding the House doesn't mean the power dynamics have fundamentally shifted to the left (as we're seeing right before our eyes). The Democratic Party has made an error in judgment and it just might backfire. I don't care to argue about this anymore so if you feel you must have the last word @Thacobell, be my guest...
    The Democratic Party has made an error in judgment and it just might backfire.

What's the error in judgement? Protecting the United States from foreign interference in the 2020 elections and from a rogue President and a complicit cowardly Republican party?

Trump said he did it, though of course he's flip flopped all over the place. Just read the the memo of the call, "Do us a favor". Trump sent his personal lawyer to force a foreign country to invent dirt on a political opponent. The facts have been corroborated by many multiple witnesses. He's hiding many more witnesses but they won't stay hidden forever.

He's obstructing Congress. Republicans are flat on the wrong side of this issue, their little temper tantrums and crying and cowardice are a distraction, facts are facts. More truth will come out OR Republicans will turn the United States into a dictatorship of the President over what? This elderly dipshit? Come on what are you guys doing lol?

Democrats made an error in judgment? Get lost, Trump made the error in judgement and all the Republicans that are protecting him are on the wrong side of the issue. They're a bunch of cowards and shortsighted fools.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    "The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."

Stop chugging the kool-aid.
    edited December 2019
    Exactly. Stop chugging conservative media and read the transcripts and watch the testimony.

You'll see the evidence is completely overwhelming.

The main thing that you need to know is Trump said "do us a favor though".
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There's been an image going around Tumblr of someone blogging, "I'd rather believe lies than support a Liberal agenda." I think it sums up the Republican mindset extremely well right now. I can't seem to find it, but when I track it down again I'll post it here.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2019
    These are numbers from FOX News (who despite everything has fairly decent polling):

Now then, ALL of those number are equal to or significantly greater than Trump's popularity itself has EVER been. But the media narrative is a constant, neverending question of "how is this gonna backfire on Democrats??". Meet the Press did another one of these asinine panels this morning with 6 white people from a +20 Trump District in Michigan dismissing the whole thing as theater. Which pretty much sums up American politics in a nutshell. We can all vote, but the only votes that actually matter are the rural, homogeneous conclaves in swing states. Has anyone EVER seen one of these citizen panels conducted at a barbershop in Detroit or Atlanta?? No, it's always a diner in bumfuck nowhere or the conversation is literally taking place at the dining room table of a local President of the Chamber of Commerce.

I have seen probably 3 dozen panels of Trump voters on cable news since he was elected getting their "take" on things. You know how many similar panels of Hillary voters I've come across, despite searching high and low?? Zero. Liberal media my ass.
    edited December 2019
    The media tends to be conservative, or both sides* at best, stop chugging the kool aid, they control the minds of the masses.

Trump's crying while ripping Fox News (rofl) because they recently dared to interview a Democrat and a lifelong Republican who supports the country and is not only a cowardly Trump supporter like the other Republicans seem to be.

What is Fox only supposed to feature conservative "opinion" journalists and propagandists? The answer is yes, that's what he wants - STATE NEWS. Fox News is pretty close to state news as it is. He's a coward and won't appear outside this safe space. His latest press secretary has not held a press conference but has appeared on state tv, Fox News, at least 13 times as of November 2019.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/14/trump-attacks-fox-news-schiff-comey-085180

*both sides being "we have someone here with facts and we have a lying Republican who will scream, yell and cry and lie. We can't tell you the difference, both sides have a point! The Earth is round or the Earth is flat? Both sides have a point!"

What's the error in judgement? Protecting the United States from foreign interference in the 2020 elections and from a rogue President and a complicit cowardly Republican party?

Trump said he did it, though of course he's flip flopped all over the place. Just read the the memo of the call, "Do us a favor". Trump sent his personal lawyer to force a foreign country to invent dirt on a political opponent. The facts have been corroborated by many multiple witnesses. He's hiding many more witnesses but they won't stay hidden forever.

He's obstructing Congress. Republicans are flat on the wrong side of this issue, their little temper tantrums and crying and cowardice are a distraction, facts are facts. More truth will come out OR Republicans will turn the United States into a dictatorship of the President over what? This elderly dipshit? Come on what are you guys doing lol?

Democrats made an error in judgment? Get lost, Trump made the error in judgement and all the Republicans that are protecting him are on the wrong side of the issue. They're a bunch of cowards and shortsighted fools.

Dude, it's an error of judgment if it doesn't work, or worse, backfires!

Liberals seriously need to look at reality sometimes. I know you hate to look at politics as a game but it really is. This idea that people are going to suddenly wake up and realize, "Oh my God, this completely changes my mind!", is a pipe dream.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited December 2019

Liberals seriously need to look at reality sometimes. I know you hate to look at politics as a game but it really is. This idea that people are going to suddenly wake up and realize, "Oh my God, this completely changes my mind!", is a pipe dream.

If you think of this as a game, then presumably you should be happy with sanctioning someone who refuses to play by the rules - ultimately I think that tends to lead to them being thrown out of the game ...

While I can see there's an attraction to describing politics (or, indeed, life) as a game, I'm not sure that's the most helpful way to look at these issues. Politics is normally dominated by short-term considerations, but every now and then things do pop up that have clear long-term consequences as well. Such moments provide an opportunity to consider what type of society you want to live in. Whether you think impeaching Trump is going to be popular right now or not, what sort of message do you want to send to the future?

If you think it is not appropriate for a President to use the power of the state for his own personal purposes, then this looks to me like the time to signal that. If Trump is not challenged now after having been caught trying such a blatant abuse of power, that will set a precedent. Whatever you think of Democrats or Republicans now, their philosophy and the way parties operate is subject to change. What won't change though is that there will always be someone interested in abusing power. It does not seem sensible to me to accept at the very highest level of government and society that that's OK.
    Grond0 wrote: »

If you think of this as a game, then presumably you should be happy with sanctioning someone who refuses to play by the rules - ultimately I think that tends to lead to them being thrown out of the game ...

While I can see there's an attraction to describing politics (or, indeed, life) as a game, I'm not sure that's the most helpful way to look at these issues. Politics is normally dominated by short-term considerations, but every now and then things do pop up that have clear long-term consequences as well. Such moments provide an opportunity to consider what type of society you want to live in. Whether you think impeaching Trump is going to be popular right now or not, what sort of message do you want to send to the future?

If you think it is not appropriate for a President to use the power of the state for his own personal purposes, then this looks to me like the time to signal that. If Trump is not challenged now after having been caught trying such a blatant abuse of power, that will set a precedent. Whatever you think of Democrats or Republicans now, their philosophy and the way parties operate is subject to change. What won't change though is that there will always be someone interested in abusing power. It does not seem sensible to me to accept at the very highest level of government and society that that's OK.

You're all putting words in my mouth. I am absolutely not saying I condone Trump's behaviour. None of you can seem to see how much politics is illusion. Liberals get gamed over and over again and never seem to learn. You're not going to win by demonizing your opponents. That only works for conservatives. That's their zone. Your zone is appealing to the everyday worker but you've completely forgotten them and are pandering to your fringe.

You're all putting words in my mouth. I am absolutely not saying I condone Trump's behaviour. None of you can seem to see how much politics is illusion. Liberals get gamed over and over again and never seem to learn. You're not going to win by demonizing your opponents. That only works for conservatives. That's their zone. Your zone is appealing to the everyday worker but you've completely forgotten them and are pandering to your fringe.

You may not condone Trump's behaviour, but does the US senate?

McConnell even admitted he is taking cues from the White House on how this trial is going to play out, even though during the trial he is suppose to be an impartial juror according to the constitution. Allowing them to do so, "because Republicans control 3 of the 4 branches of government" is what's going to wreck this government long term.

Do you think if Bloomberg gets elected he'll play by the "dems are suppose to appeal to the everyday worker," or do you think he has seen what Trump has gotten away with and figures he can do exactly the same thing but on a larger scale?

The senate right now how's the option to determine what is and isn't acceptable from your elected officials. That's the point. And if everyone is so partisan that they'd rather excuse corruption instead of seeing a liberal government (oh noes, free health care for everyone! The horror!!!), then their crumbling government is on them.
    I just think Liberals are terrible poker players... ;)
    deltago wrote: »

McConnell even admitted he is taking cues from the White House on how this trial is going to play out, even though during the trial he is suppose to be an impartial juror according to the constitution. Allowing them to do so, "because Republicans control 3 of the 4 branches of government" is what's going to wreck this government long term.

Do you think if Bloomberg gets elected he'll play by the "dems are suppose to appeal to the everyday worker," or do you think he has seen what Trump has gotten away with and figures he can do exactly the same thing but on a larger scale?

The senate right now how's the option to determine what is and isn't acceptable from your elected officials. That's the point. And if everyone is so partisan that they'd rather excuse corruption instead of seeing a liberal government (oh noes, free health care for everyone! The horror!!!), then their crumbling government is on them.

Incidentally, I told my Congresswoman to vote for impeachment. I kinda wish I hadn't now though. I'm smelling a fiasco now but apparently I'm the only one...
    edited December 2019

Incidentally, I told my Congresswoman to vote for impeachment. I kinda wish I hadn't now though. I'm smelling a fiasco now but apparently I'm the only one...

Incidentally, Trump went off on Debbie Dingell yesterday, saying essentially that she wasn't "repaying" him for allowing her husband full military honors at his funeral. Trump actually thinks he gets to hand out and pick and choose who has valor or not. John Dingell was a WWII veteran. He EARNED those military honors. And if there is one thing I absolutely will never let go is the fact that the same people who lectured me for 8 years about being a traitor for being right about Iraq are now blindly following a guy who outright INSULTS troops and Gold Star families at the slightest hint of disloyalty to him. And these people still have the nerve to say they are the ones who are about flag and country. It's a goddamn farce at this point. Nevermind the "military fundraiser" money that, it turned out, went directly into his campaign. The Venn Diagram of people who have no problem with this and who called called liberals surrender monkeys in 2004 is a fucking circle.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Incidentally, Trump went off on Debbie Dingell yesterday, saying essentially that she wasn't "repaying" him for allowing her husband full military honors at his funeral. Trump actually thinks he gets to hand out and pick and choose who has valor or not. John Dingell was a WWII veteran. He EARNED those military honors. And if there is one thing I absolutely will never let go is the fact that the same people who lectured me for 8 years about being a traitor for being right about Iraq are now blindly following a guy who outright INSULTS troops and Gold Star families at the slightest hint of disloyalty to him. And these people still have the nerve to say they are the ones who are about flag and country. It's a goddamn farce at this point. Nevermind the "military fundraiser" money that, it turned out, went directly into his campaign. The Venn Diagram of people who have no problem with this and who called called liberals surrender monkeys in 2004 is a fucking circle.

I'm not surprised. John Dingell was a good man and a great representative for my district. I voted for him like 10 times! Towards the end I didn't because he didn't seem like he was all there. It happens to the best of us. Old age is a bitch!

Debbie was reluctant to vote for impeachment but Trump probably wants her to now. Whatever...
    Foe the record. I was all for getting rid of Sadam Hussein but we really bungled things after that.

Didn't catch your Bloomberg reference my first read (I'm a speed-reader, especially when I'm in a hurry. Sorry 'bout that). I think Bloomberg is a Hail Mary pass by the elite just in case Bernie or Warren get traction. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell unless rich liberals and Hollywood folks get spooked...
    @jjstraka34
    I hate to admit it but im starting to like Senator Gary Peters too. Stabenow can suck eggs though. She rubs me the wrong way...

Didn't catch your Bloomberg reference my first read (I'm a speed-reader, especially when I'm in a hurry. Sorry 'bout that). I think Bloomberg is a Hail Mary pass by the elite just in case Bernie or Warren get traction. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell unless rich liberals and Hollywood folks get spooked...

You know who else didn't have a snowball's chance of getting elected when he first announced? Trump.

Apparently Hell has frozen over. And Bloomberg will play the same card Trump did. In the primaries, when asked, would anyone be willing to run as an independent if not elected by the Republicans, only one person raised their hand and it was Trump which spooked a lot on the right, to fall in line behind his popularity. I expect Bloomberg to make a similar play, but I don't know whose support he'd eat away at first, Trump's or the Democrats.

You know who else didn't have a snowball's chance of getting elected when he first announced? Trump.

Apparently Hell has frozen over. And Bloomberg will play the same card Trump did. In the primaries, when asked, would anyone be willing to run as an independent if not elected by the Republicans, only one person raised their hand and it was Trump which spooked a lot on the right, to fall in line behind his popularity. I expect Bloomberg to make a similar play, but I don't know whose support he'd eat away at first, Trump's or the Democrats.

How many people do you think will vote for this clown? Enough to make a dent in the election? At least Trump was in it from the beginning...

How? Backfires? Impossible. He's guilty as sh-er "heck" on both counts and more. He's not going to change his corruption and terrible personality either going forward. If the Senate lets him remain in office, despite demanding foreign interference in our elections, then it exposes them as partisan hacks at best.
    edited December 2019

How? Backfires? Impossible. He's guilty as sh-er "heck" on both counts and more. He's not going to change his corruption and terrible personality either going forward. If the Senate lets him remain in office, despite demanding foreign interference in our elections, then it exposes them as partisan hacks at best.

Ok, it exposes them. If most people say 'whoop de doo, the economy is still good and I have a job' what good does it do? It makes some people feel good about themselves and that's it. Ephemeral feelings of righteousness don't change reality. The reality is that some of your policies just aren't that popular. Sorry...

In Europe they've had to dial back free immigration policies to stave off the far right. That might be a good start for the Democrats seeing as that's a major reason for right wing hysteria (mostly the working class that the left used to care about).

Throw the working class a bone instead of calling them ignorant morons and deplorables and I will fucking guarantee a Democratic victory in 2020. Nobody will listen to me though so I don't know why I bother...
    edited December 2019

Ok, it exposes them. If most people say 'whoop de doo, the economy is still good and I have a job' what good does it do? It makes some people feel good about themselves and that's it. Ephemeral feelings of righteousness don't change reality. The reality is that some of your policies just aren't that popular. Sorry...

In Europe they've had to dial back free immigration policies to stave off the far right. That might be a good start for the Democrats seeing as that's a major reason for right wing hysteria (mostly the working class that the left used to care about).

Throw the working class a bone instead of calling them ignorant morons and deplorables and I will fucking guarantee a Democratic victory in 2020. Nobody will listen to me though so I don't know why I bother...

When you say "working class" you are referring to the same voters everyone in the media is when they say it. Which is middle-class white people who work with their hands. These are LITERALLY the ONLY people anyone deems worthy of catering to in this country. People in the inner-city are "lazy" when they can't get a job. But try tell someone from Scranton they might not be able to have the same factory job that pulls 60k a year with full benefits from cradle to grave, and all hell breaks loose.

And Obama did do something for them. Bush ran the economy into the ditch, Obama gave a MASSIVE tax cut to the lower and middle class, and bailed out Detroit. We were inches away from a full-on depression. What did he get for his efforts?? 50% of Republican voters believed he was born in Kenya. What no one talks about is that Trump's economic numbers all lag slightly behind Obama's in the same time-frame, despite starting from a solid base rather than a cratering mess.

And you talk about the left insulting people on the right.....have you ever heard how elected Republican officials talk about people from New York and San Francisco?? They paint them as completely foreign and un-American at every opportunity, to the point that they make them seem like adversarial countries rather than neighbors and citizens. It's just that they don't constantly bitch and whine about it.