Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I really don't like this common opinion that the media only reports on journalists' deaths because they are an arrogant bunch that only care about themselves. It's not that journalists lives are worth more. It's that there are different reasons and consequences when they are killed that have implications beyond the journalists themselves.

Over a thousand journalists have been killed in the last 15 years. And more than half of them have been deliberately murdered. These last three years we've seen a downward trend in the amount of journalists killed. Which should be a good thing, right? But one of the reasons fewer journalists are killed now is that fewer journalists are getting into the field at all in the most dangerous areas. In countries like Syria, Yemen and Mexico, it's just not worth the risk.

If you don't like the media telling you what to think, you should see the problem here. Fewer and fewer people are even able to report on what's happening in the world. And these are only the journalists that are killed. We're not even counting the ones who get threatened or assaulted for their reporting.

Sources:
    Reporters without borders
    Committee to Protect Journalists
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Sounds like these right wing authoritarian types are ushering in a modern world's version of the dark ages. An age of fear, superstition, ignorance and little kingdoms grounding the peasants down.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited October 2018

And if you don't make it home it's your fault for leaving home. And if you stay at home and an invader kills you, it's your fault for staying. What a stupid argument.

In one sense, yes.

The truly stupid thing is thinking that this one guy's death is somehow more important than anything else going on in the world or that his death is more important than any other person's death. When four of our own citizens died in Benghazi our government's general position on the issue was summarized nicely by Ms. Clinton: what does it matter? When Obama assassinated one of our own citizens without due process no one batted an eye. Yet we are supposed to wring our hands over this guy and pretend that somehow Saudi Arabia is now the worst evil in the world even though a) other countries are doing thing which are worse than killing one person and b) this is just "business as usual" for Saudi Arabia and has been for a long time? No, *that* is stupid and anyone naive enough to believe otherwise is similarly stupid.

I don't care about Khashoggi or his murder *at all*. I care about actual issues.

edit: speaking of actual issues, the other day someone put an explosive device in George Soros' mailbox. Just now--breaking news story--a "suspicious device" was found at the Clinton home in Chappaqua. Probably the same person but you can never rule out copycats. Either way, a person delivering explosive devices to the houses of people with political connections typically automatically qualifies as "domestic terrorism".
    Post edited by Mathsorcerer on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2018
    a) this is a part of the bigger picture. saudi arabia is at least in top 5 worst regimes in the world, and their well known criminality has been reflected in this flagrant act in the clearest way possible. to act so recklessly and in disregard of *all* norms of civilized and sane conduct in international matters is something only a truly irrational state could do, one that is really blinded by it's own evil.

b) this is not business as usual (read post above yours), even for saudi arabia.

also, you are relativizing crime too much. you went past context and past any meaningful analysis into stating that a murder of a human being is not important. you're basically not even being relevant anymore. do you really expect someone to agree with you - who should agree with you in your opinion? certainly, if everyone agreed with your sentiments, the world could only have been a worse place, not better.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2018
    For the record, that Clinton "what does it matter" quote was taken completely out of context. First off, it was "what difference does it make" and she was referring to the motive for the killings, NOT the killings themselves. The fact that the right was able to convince everyone otherwise with an out of context blurb in isolation is an indictment of the media, not her.

The Benghazi situation was such bullshit. First off, it was the Republican Congress who had slashed embassy funding for security. For another, it was investigated longer than 9/11 itself. And I personally saw segments on FOX News that ran stories about it while constantly showing the famous Bin Laden raid Situation Room photo. The implication of which was that Obama and Clinton were sitting around with a bowl of popcorn watching the attack unfold in real-time like some kind of action movie. And finally, since Republicans investigated this for YEARS, where was the similar investigation to the troops who got slaughtered in the Congo last year?? Where the f**k did that story disappear to?? The same amount of people died. Why was one a half a decade scandal and the other wasn't??
    edited October 2018
    No one thinks the murder of random people in Chicago is important; therefore, neither is this guy's murder. Either both are important or neither are important--why don't the people in Chicago receive front-page news? I don't see anyone else even mentioning the Uyghurs or Rohingya like we did a couple of pages ago--I guess their lives don't matter, either.

Actually, if everyone thought the way I did the world would be a significantly better place because I don't tell other people how to live, I treat everyone with equal measures of respect and indifference, I expect people to be responsible for themselves, and I expect people to accept the consequences of their actions. If everyone were minding their own business and treating other people they way they wish to be treated then most of the problems happening in the world right now wouldn't be happening.

Anyway....like I said, two explosive devices have been delivered to politically-connected homes. People are still going to be droning on about this journalist, though, so I guess that story doesn't matter, either.

And finally, since Republicans investigated this for YEARS, where was the similar investigation to the troops who got slaughtered in the Congo last year?? Where the f**k did that story disappear to?? The same amount of people died. Why was one a half a decade scandal and the other wasn't??

I don't know why that story faded from view--it was never answered to anyone's satisfaction, as far as I know.

edit: it appears the Secret Service intercepted a third package addressed to Mr. Obama. No other details yet.
    if i mind my own business and treat you nicely while you kill the third guy, don't you think there's a bit of an inconsistency there?

that guy can't mind his own business anymore can he? because he's dead now.
    edited October 2018
    Why do you presume that I would be murdering someone? That says more about you than it does about me.

Incidentally, I notice that you have nothing to say about 3 suspicious packages/explosive devices being sent to Soros, the Clintons, and Mr. Obama. One would think that a breaking news story like that would be worthy of comment.
    i wouldn't presume you would, i would know you would, which is correct in this analogy
    edited October 2018
    No, the flaw in your reasoning is that you are essentially accusing me of being a murderer or of wanting to commit murder. *sigh* Why am I even wasting my time with you?

How many of you are going to boycott Campbell's Soup because of what Kelly Johnston, current--and probably soon to be former--VP of Government Affairs tweeted? Campbell's other product lines includes Bolthouse Farms, StockPot, Goldfish Crackers, Milano cookies, Pace (picante), Pepperidge Farms, Pacific Foods, Prego, SpaghettiOs, and Swanson. When are people going to quit making ridiculous tweets? Probably never.
    edited October 2018
    I didn't even know about the explosive devices because I just got up about 45 minutes ago. But I have a ton to say about it. The first being is that I can't for the life of me fathom why I didn't get news alerts about ACTUAL BOMBS sent to a Former President and Secretary of State/First Lady when my phone will light up everytime Trump opens his mouth about anything. USA Today sees fit to issue news alerts multiple times an hour for nearly anything on my phone app, but THIS doesn't rate?? These were actual explosive devices. Actual bombs. If they don't get intercepted for whatever reason, they might have been killed. The Soros pipebomb is also no surprise since he has been a one man stand-in for "international Jewish conspiracy" on the fringes of right-wing politics for well over a decade. I'm shocked it's taken this long for someone to try take him out.

Edit: Apparently, add CNN to the list. Gee, what do Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, George Soros, and CNN all have in common?? Could it be they are all essentially viewed as enemies of the State in speeches by our current President and portrayed as even worse than that 24/7 in right-wing media??
    edited October 2018
    @jjstraka34 Yes, that is odd--this should be the top news story on every domestic news service.

edit/add: someone sent a package to CNN, as well? Serial bomber--definitely domestic terrorism.

edit 2: one also being reported as sent to the White House, as well.

No, the flaw in your reasoning is that you are essentially accusing me of being a murderer or of wanting to commit murder. *sigh* Why am I even wasting my time with you?

i expect that your intentional misconstrual of my posts (i.e. baiting) and your forced attempt to disparage me will be seen by other users for what it is, and won't go unsanctioned.
    edited October 2018
    Mr. Trump and others from the Nationalist Conservatives (Nat-C) party have spewed hate and lies on Mrs. Clinton, President Obama, CNN, and George Soros for so long.

It has had a tangible effect - Domestic terrorism.

I don't suspect Trump will apologize or change his demagoguing and scapegoating and demonization. It's the only note he knows how to play to distract you while he and other Nat-Cs run off with all the money. Their game is grab all the power and cut regulations and taxes to let then exploit you and squeeze a few more bucks at your expense.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Mr. Trump and others from the Nationalist Conservatives (Nat-C) party have spewed hate and lies on Mrs. Clinton, President Obama, CNN, and George Soros for so long.

I don't suspect Trump will apologize or change his demagoguing and scapegoating and demonization. It's the only note he knows how to play to distract you while he and other Nat-Cs run off with all the money. Their game is grab all the power and cut regulations and taxes to let then exploit you and squeeze a few more bucks at your expense.

Kind of like the left accusing Michigan's governor of intentionally poisoning Flint residents? I'm sure that doesn't encourage domestic terrorism.

Both sides are so full of shit and full of themselves now that domestic terrorism is just another symptom. I swear to God every time a Democrat wins the presidency I have to hear how he's the Anti-Christ from my family and every time a Republican wins I have to hear from my friends on the left how he's Hitler! I've been alive for 51 years and 9 presidents and guess what? I'm still here, America's still here, Hitler is still dead and the Anti-Christ still hasn't shown up...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited October 2018
    You can never be too sure... those Germans are pretty cunning

https://youtu.be/vlmGknvr_Pg
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I only got up a little while ago myself. Yet I have a slew of stories ready to post. News Stories, of course. Since we already know that George Soros, The Clintons and The Obamas (plus CNN) were sent Bombs, I'll omit those.

The Far Right Represents Only 6% of U.S. Citizens, Study Says. 67% Make up the 'Exhausted Majority.'

http://fortune.com/2018/10/22/far-right-americans-just-six-person-study-says/?fbclid=IwAR2clmYOVFCGxvxTO7mwmjIKMuGUcgqRKhO1WQ_sEnu7Qy_Hfjw1Tfdob_4

Midterms: Poorest states have Republican legislatures, and richest have Democratic ones

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/2018/10/21/midterms-poorest-states-have-republican-legislatures/1694273002/?fbclid=IwAR0bCHPz7gVZsesjGSsHGgRGBzf2OojjGKox9cQjq5DNLR3SQEXaL9-W5Ms

Asked about conspiracies, Trump admits, ‘There’s no proof of anything’

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/asked-about-conspiracies-trump-admits-theres-no-proof-anything?cid=sm_fb_maddow&fbclid=IwAR1fkw0R1o_2xmoC0w3FQqTH7omsUe9f_8Tii5C7s8bgcUlmNlSHtnSy6GQ

Most Americans say their finances haven't improved since the election

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/most-americans-say-their-finances-haven-t-improved-election-n923776?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma&fbclid=IwAR0uPKeB54AQIjHFpHS2BC8TMJ0xFdVYOI3Ib9Nr6ghJV0TL7XXwqA0QD9U

In racist, anti-immigrant diatribe, Trump declares, “I am a nationalist”

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/10/24/trum-o24.html?fbclid=IwAR1kT6oOnwUa8O5FhVwnYvbK_zoZO17wrwF_r5KVPQIfviW40Ai5B0Cpfqc

Small plane with markings reminiscent of Nazi-era Luftwaffe crashes on Los Angeles highway

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/small-plane-markings-reminiscent-nazi-luftwaffe-crashes-los-angeles-highway/?fbclid=IwAR1rXIcm4sU6-E_HbA9CznbXuV_5i2XQCjrvp1CWtaRDeczpjVp3lITiP1Q#.W9CQH6g62Po.twitter

Antifa Exposes Proud Boys’ Ties to New York Republican Party Establishment

https://gritpost.com/proud-boys-ny-gop-establishment/?fbclid=IwAR33e3sL5812aQKjeqchUY2GmI-b9Ay4nPJP7zKws4RDAEnB41gsmT9jiFA

Fox News’ Shep Smith fires back at angry viewer live on the air – and tells her Trump is exploiting her fear of immigrants

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/shep-smith-responds-to-angry-trump-supporter-live-on-the-air-after-debunking-presidents-lies-about-migrant-caravan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3D0UrTer3IIn7GD-AQoi8W4K_ZsYOFIT3LalFaDQDV1Ultvtwaljoa4Ow

edited October 2018
    Balrog99 said:

Kind of like the left accusing Michigan's governor of intentionally poisoning Flint residents? I'm sure that doesn't encourage domestic terrorism.

Both sides are so full of shit and full of themselves now that domestic terrorism is just another symptom. I swear to God every time a Democrat wins the presidency I have to hear how he's the Anti-Christ from my family and every time a Republican wins I have to hear from my friends on the left how he's Hitler! I've been alive for 51 years and 9 presidents and guess what? I'm still here, America's still here, Hitler is still dead and the Anti-Christ still hasn't shown up...
    There was terrorism in Flint? No? Then only Trump's rhetoric has caused domestic terrorism. Come on enough with the 'both sides' stuff. Look into the numbers, the facts and not the spin. There hasn't been any left wing terrorism since the 70s but plenty of right wing violence and terrorism. Remember Heather Heyer ran over by a right winger? OKC bombing was also a right winger.

Trump and state TV say "oh left wing violence!" which are non-violent protests to a government that is sabotaging their interests. Then Trump goes to a rally and they are always getting in fights and chanting 'lock her up' that's the mob. Charlottesville that was a violent mob, Proud Boys love inciting violence too.

There's one parties mouthpieces that are warning, as if they want it, of a coming race war and a second civil war. One parties extremists stockpile guns as if they want this to happen.

it is possible to condemn any ideological domestic terrorism. But come on don't fall for the 'both sides are the same' nonsense.
    edited October 2018
    LadyRhian said:
    Proud Boys are the Nationalist Conservative (Nat-C) Brownshirts.

Woodhaven Stamping worker describes brutal atmosphere under UAW-Ford regime

“Temporary part-timers are treated like slaves”
    https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/10/24/wood-o24.html?fbclid=IwAR2pH9e-v5Ol37GEFtrhk-5ktTiNJ3Ux0n1GkQeSEnTafRjPehV08oHw2ns

'You can't undo surgery': More parents of intersex babies are rejecting operations

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/you-can-t-undo-surgery-more-parents-intersex-babies-are-n923271?fbclid=IwAR34iZaT9ztOHi5cWt1Xjcm99Py68GCO3B4jbNn5ZGU3cDKoUObBgUw8X_0
    “Gender normalizing” surgeries have been performed on intersex babies and children since at least the 1950s, often in secrecy, without ever telling the children. In the following decades, some people who underwent these surgeries as children began to speak out against them as human rights violations. Some said they had been assigned the wrong gender, while others had endured severe complications, including sexual dysfunction and infertility.

Independence mom furious after 13-year-old son bullied, has gun pointed at his head

https://fox4kc.com/2018/10/23/independence-mom-furious-after-13-year-old-son-bullied-has-gun-pointed-at-his-head/?fbclid=IwAR0j3PIAeElJ_puwpGD79WGZkHqKEgKyuS4oQF9YFNe5iGN248SQTPLHOX8

Jeff Flake isn’t sure he believes Kavanaugh

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/yw973w/jeff-flake-isnt-sure-he-believes-kavanaugh?fbclid=IwAR17u6a3V3eyabbiboKEn_vbgNzk-_pubyO7xDDF4TiTzUp0p-9ZZSv6nhs

Office of Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz evacuated due to suspicious package

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/negpg7/office-of-rep-debbie-wasserman-schultz-evacuated-due-to-suspicious-package

Saudi prince finally addresses Khashoggi murder 3 weeks later

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/43e9eq/saudi-prince-finally-addresses-khashoggi-murder-3-weeks-later

The Patient Side of the Opioid Discussion That Needs to Be Heard

https://themighty.com/2016/09/a-lupus-patients-perspective-on-the-opioid-crisis/?utm_source=ChronicIllness_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR08jZGeDvYfE_WzscZ8d8oaPuuERvQO6weM1aM6cv9z2b-L99vwJgCRJpA

No, they aren't, and I can prove it. If your claim were true then there would be a Proud Boys chapter associated with every Republican chapter and the local one here does not have one.

Incidentally, stop calling the Republican Party the "Nationalist Conservative (Nat-C)" Party. That is a baseless smear and you know it.

No, they aren't, and I can prove it. If your claim were true then there would be a Proud Boys chapter associated with every Republican chapter and the local one here does not have one.

Incidentally, stop calling the Republican Party the "Nationalist Conservative (Nat-C)" Party. That is a baseless smear and you know it.
    You mean, the people whose founder said they need more violence from the Trump side? The guy who says, “Fighting solves everything. We need more violence from the Trump people. Trump supporters: choke a motherfucker. Choke a bitch. Choke a tr*nny. Get your fingers around the windpipe.”?

There don't seem to be any Proud Boys here in Michigan either. Maybe they're just a small group of nuts living in NYC. Nah, what am I thinking? They must be the new Republican SA commandos. I mean, there aren't any nuts who are just nuts, right?
    edited October 2018
    I mean, I can't help but notice that the people who have been up in arms about Republicans simply getting yelled at in public restaurants are awfully silent about bombs literally being sent to try to kill the last two Democratic nominees for President, which kind of makes their whole "call for civility" argument seem pretty ridiculous. It's moments like this when I'd love a venn diagram of the population.

Also, the Secret Service has debunked the report of the package at the White House, so this certainly appears to be a coordinated effort to terrorize people/organizations that just so happen to be the 4 biggest right-wing boogeymen in the country. What a coincidence.

I mean, I can't help but notice that the people who have been up in arms about Republicans simply getting yelled at in public restaurants are awfully silent about bombs literally being sent to try to kill the last two Democratic nominees for President, which kind of makes their whole "call for civility" argument seem pretty ridiculous. It's moments like this when I'd love a venn diagram of the population.

Also, the Secret Service has debunked the report of the package at the White House, so this certainly appears to be a coordinated effort to terrorize people/organizations that just so happen to be the 4 biggest right-wing boogeymen in the country. What a coincidence.

Yeah, I'm sure they're terrified. There was like a 0% chance those bombs would ever get to them and like a negative infinity chance that they'd open their own packages. This has got to be the stupidest terrorist in existence. There's also about a 0% chance that anybody this dumb won't be caught so let's just see...
    edited October 2018

That's not proof that there aren't yet Proud Boys in every town. There weren't brown shirts in every town in the beginning of fascist Germany either. Maybe we should do something before it gets that bad here, no?

And I will cease calling the cult of Trump "Nat-Cs" when they stop acting like Nazis. Trump just said he's a Nationalist, he didn't say Patriot he said nationalist. He knows the difference.
    Trump calls the Democratic party the Democrat party and says they are for open borders and crime and nicknames are his thing so this is fair game. Not only that it fits based on what is going on - things like ongoing child concentration camps.
    Balrog99 said:

I mean, there aren't any nuts who are just nuts, right?

Maybe Republicans should disavow racist things and right wing domestic terrorist organizations and the alt-right.

God knows any time there's a Muslim terrorism attack when they interview a prominent Muslim they always demand he disavow extremists he doesn't even know.