The purpose of this thread is to summarize known properties and issues of Polymorph: Self spell in BGEE and BG2EE. @SionIV
's great guide
has become little outdated and I thought we could use a fresh summary. It seems to me that PlayItHardcore currently provides the most correct description
of the spell, even though some points are no longer true in v2.5 (such as APR of the spider form). I'll try to do some more testing and highlight the differences applicable to the respective special forms.
, the main difference from the previous versions of the game is that any buffs that increase or decrease attributes (e.g. Strength spell) will "survive" the transformation and will apply to the respective form even after morphing. Therefore, it's no longer necessary to use sequencers to buff your stats after you've changed the form. In BGEE this seems to work as in the original game.
As a general rule, the caster's equipment (other than weapons) is not affected by the polymorph and he/she may rely on items' effects and special abilities when morphed. However, polymorphing from one special form (i.e. other than human) to another special form results in unequipping the entire inventory (apparently a bug). The items are not removed from their respective inventory slots, however, any effect they have is lost unless and until re-equipped. This is especially tricky with cursed items (the Claw of Kazgaroth) that become "unequipped" but may not be removed from the respective inventory slots without Remove Curse. Therefore, switching in between the special forms is currently very suboptimal, since you either have to deal with the inventory bug or take two rounds to get there. EDIT: Seems to be fixed in BG2EE.
I'll be happy for any comments or additional input which could be then consolidated into a guide of a sort
I've done some testing in both BGEE and BG2EE and the results are following:Spider
: STR 15, DEX 17, APR 2, base AC 4, base dmg 1d4+1 (piercing), save vs. death poison, immunities: web (with the exception of web tangle used by SCS Giant Spiders)Flind
: STR 17, DEX 17, APR 2, base AC 1, base dmg 1d10+1 (piercing, magical halberd +1), +1 fire damageJelly
: STR 14, DEX 9, APR 1, base AC 4, base dmg 5d4 (crushing)*, save vs. death poison, save vs. death slow, resistances: cold/magic cold (50), electricity (100), magic (100), slashing (30), crushing (60), piercing (100), missile (85), immunities: normal weapons, stun, petrification, poison, charm, fear, hold, confusion, sleep, level drain (maybe others)
*ranged weapon but STR modifiers apply (THAC0, damage) in addition to DEX modifiers (THAC0)Ogre
: STR 18/00, DEX 9, APR 1, base AC 5, base dmg 4d6+1 (crushing)Wolf
: STR 15, DEX 18, APR 2, base AC 6, base dmg 1d8+1 (piercing), resistances: cold/magic cold (100), electricity (50)Brown Bear/Black Bear
: STR 18/00, DEX 12, APR 3, base AC 7, base dmg 1d6+1 (piercing), Additional notes
- All the forms use your base THAC0.
- All the forms have movement speed bonus, but none of them are truly hasted (despite the icon). This means it is possible to apply haste / improved haste to increase APR.
- Weapons used by all the forms strike as +1 (+3 in the case of Flind).
- Weapon style bonuses apply, e.g. single weapon for Spider and Ogre and two-handed for Flind. In BGEE, these may not be listed on the character record but still apply.
- Main hand weapons equipped prior to morphing do not provide bonuses (if any), but you may still access their special abilities.
- Off-hand weapons equipped prior to morphing do not provide off-hand attacks (despite the character record). However, their equipped effects (if any) will still apply and you may use their special abilities as well. Shields are treated in a similar manner. Note that in my install morphing to Flind (wielding a two-handed weapon) while using off-hand breaks the game.
- When polymorphed, weapons may only be un-equipped and not vice versa.
- While morphed, it's possible to use thieving skills, HiS, Find Traps, Bard Song, Turn Undead and special abilities.
- If your character is eligible for backstabs, all the forms (except for jelly, which uses ranged attack) are able perform backstabs as well.
- The jelly animation is rather big and it makes it rather difficult to move around obstacles and in narrow corridors.