Skip to content

[Tool] UI-based Spell Learning for Sorcerers/Shamans

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Yes, it checks the spellbooks for known spells (wizard/priest).
    No, unfortunately Local variables are not available to the UI, only Global variables.

The only other thing that is viably detectable is stored sequencers, which carry the annoyance of a permanent Spell Sequencer Icon.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    kjeron wrote: »
    Yes, it checks the spellbooks for known spells (wizard/priest).
    No, unfortunately Local variables are not available to the UI, only Global variables.

The only other thing that is viably detectable is stored sequencers, which carry the annoyance of a permanent Spell Sequencer Icon.

Well, if it can be made to track global variables, then it can track local variables in a way, say with the help of an invisible monster (it wouldn't be bullet proof, but it would work fine with the proper warnings).

Summon an invisible creature that checks for the local variables, as well as other attributes--can they check party position?--and then set global variables based on those detected values.

Probably best case, it would check for the internal vars and party position, and set a particular unique global for that specific party position and internal variable combination.

Then it would cast the spell select spl.

Then reset all variables and destroy self
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I actually haven't used helper creatures for a while now. I append scripts to baldur.bcs instead.
    Well, if it can be made to track global variables, then it can track local variables in a way, say with the help of an invisible monster (it wouldn't be bullet proof, but it would work fine with the proper warnings).
    It's worth a try if nothing else.
    edited February 2019
    It would be nice if we could blacklist certain spells, to exclude them from being offered. Like those Spell Immunity subspells, for instance. And for my multiclass sorcerers, Identify (which is non-functional for them). It would be a bit of a middle-ground between "offer all wizard spells" and "define the entire spell list by hand."
    Simple enough to add an optional blacklist for something like Identify when auto-generating the list from all spells. No extra 2da tables this time though, just going to use an array, since it shouldn't be a long list:
    ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY ~name~ BEGIN ~WIZARD_IDENTIFY~ etc... END

and another STR_VAR:
    blacklist = ~name~

It should not be offering the Spell Immunity subspells for learning in the first place, is it?. There is an odd issue with it not offering them for normal sequencer/contingencies, which will get fixed now.
    If you are referring to wanting to block specific subspells when casting the normal sequencer/contingency spells, that is a separate matter.

I have also added some support to try the Global/Locals variable tracking, if you would like to see if it's worth it. Activating the ability takes up to a second when using the method, as the script checks/updates the variables. It's called with INT_VAR "global = 1".
    @Aionz if you would like to try using this for your "free" spells from scrolls, set "global = 2", and apply a 'LOCALS' variable by name of the spells resref to 2 on the creature. The spell will not be offered and not count towards the known spell limit for that level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Wait... can this allow for lore than one spell to be learned? It must, right? It's based on sequencers, and Sequencer/Trigger let you choose 3...
    I think so - it's setup for only 1 because all slots must be filled if it allows two or three - which isn't always an option.
    Assuming the answer to that is yes, can it constrain the available spells by level? Could I set up a sequencer spell which, instead of adding 3 spells of 4th level or below, only lets you add 4th-level spells - and not 1st-3rd level spells?
    Yes.
    This will setup Spell Trigger to only allow spells of 4th level:
    OUTER_SPRINT	resref ~SPWI809~
    OUTER_SPRINT custom ~~~~~	function()
    		local temp = {}
    		for k,v in pairs (bookSpells) do
    			if v.level == 3 then	//	starts with 0 = spell level 1
    				table.insert(temp, v)
    			end
    		end
    		bookSpells = temp
    	end~~~~~
    LAF	CREATE_SEQUENCER_MENU	STR_VAR	resref custom	END

However, I just found an issue while testing this with the default UI function that expands spells added through 2da's. They receive their actual level, rather than (level - 1). i.e. Spell Immunity subspells would not show up if you restricted it to only allow level 5 spells, because level 5 spells have a v.level value of 4, and those subspells would have a v.level value of 5. (I just updated the tool with a fix for this, v.53).
    I think you could do it without a stat.
    In the learning subspell:
    - Learn Spell ()
    - Cast spell A
    - Cast spell B
    spell A: Remove Spell (), Immunity to SpellB (no duration), Immunity to SpellA(timing 9)
    spell B: Remove Spell (), Immunity to SpellB (timing 9)

First time casts spellA, removes the spell for relearning, blocks spellB, and grants permanent immunity to SpellA.
    Second time casts spellB, removes the spell for relearning, grants permanent immunity to spellB.
    Third time spell is learned without being removed, can no longer be selected for learning.
    edited March 2019
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited March 2019
    Any idea why I would get this error when starting the game?
    [string "M_SQMENU.lua"]:16: unexpected symbol near 'else'

not specifically, no, I'd need more to go on - the most likely culprit would it failing to properly read a custom spells/level table
    Any idea if it's a problem to invoke the RESREF spell-learning spell from opcode 326?
    No reason it should be a problem.
    Is there possibly a max integer limit for the number of known spells?
    No max limit, it's choking on trying to find a baseline for levels 4-7, I'll work on it.
    For the moment - add a 51st row granting 1 spell for each levels 4-7, and a 52nd row granting 2 spells for each levels 4-7.
    edited March 2019
    EDIT - apparently some of my spells' icons didn't get copied in, and the function mandates that the spellbook and L-suffix spells must have the same icon.
    It's not mandatory - it just copies the existing spell to create the L-suffix version - but the icon can be changed to anything you want, or setup as anything you want it your creating them yourself.
    @subtledoctor I've upload a new version, it should fix the issues with custom known spells tables.

@Necromanx2 , @Raduziel , I've removed the "Red X" icon - if you can't learn any spells of the current level, it just won't do anything when you click on the spells icon or memorize button now. If you can't learn any more spells of any level, you can still escape the screen by pressing the "escape" key.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @kjeron Nice :)

I honestly had no issue with the X icon: the "problem" I've reported once was due to my own stupidity, not an issue with the function.
    @subtledoctor - looks like the game wipes all known spells from invalid classes when you dual class.
    I had never really tested it for anything but the sorcerer/shaman, which cannot dual.

It might be possible, if known spells are being tracked through local variables, to have the first CLAB level spawn an invisible CRE to grant all spells that should be known by checking the local variables on the summoner.
    edited March 2019
    1) All cleric and mage spells are checked. I don't understand the issue though - you cannot "know" the same RESREF as both a mage and cleric spell, unless you directly edit the creature file.

2) to do ... what?