Skip to content

Blade song area really small

LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
Hi, I was guided to post here. My Blades bard song has a pretty small radius while the latest patch notes say that it should be "at least the visual range". It's about 50 % of my visual range.

This is a relatively new install (11. Oct.), no mods whatsoever, playing on Steam. Have not tested other bards.

This is fresh save with Imoen placed right outside my current range.

I also noticed Candlekeep guards are not supposed to wake you up outside the walls anymore. I don't have a save for that situation anymore but in my last game I got woken up in chapter 6 outside the walls after escaping the crypts. Doesn't seem to happen in chapter 1 or at this location I'm currenly in however.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2018
    Strangeness! I do not understand why they did things this way, but this is apparently intended behavior? I don't know... Regardless, I would recommend you try my Bigger Bard Song tweak from my Tresset's Choice Tweaks tweak pack. It makes all the bard songs hit a much larger area.
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Yeah, it is pretty weird. Not related to the issue here but I also have to say that the song not penetrating walls in EE feels really silly sometimes. Someone walks around a corner or through a door and they can't hear me playing 1 meter behind them anymore?

I'll check your mods out, thanks.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm not sure it was intended? I remember Belgarath submitting this as a bug report some time ago, and everyone else seemed really adamant that the bard song range was NOT reduced.
    ThacoBell said:

everyone else seemed really adamant that the bard song range was NOT reduced.

How is that even possible? Are we playing different versions somehow?
    @Lammas Its possible that its not a universal bug, only affecting some people. Bards are my favorite class and I never noticed a reduced bardsong radius. That doesn't mean you aren't, the IE has had all kinds of "selective" bugs over its surprisingly long life.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2018
    Lammas said:

How is that even possible? Are we playing different versions somehow?

They've had different ranges between BG1EE, BG2EE, and IWDEE, both intentional and unintentionally.
    IWDEE songs are all 512 radius.

The BGEE series has had a mix of two ranges between patches and each other:
    • "Allies within 256 radius." (bard/blade/hla)
    • "Party Members" (bard/blade/hla)
    Except the Jester and Skald song, which have only had one:
    • "Allies within 256 radius." (skald)
    • "Enemies within 256 radius." (jester)
    Both have draw backs:
    • "Party Members" won't affect summoned creatures or familiars.
    • Aside from it's relatively small range, "Allies within 256 radius" can also "miss" moving targets.
    @Bubb "Show AoE" option?! Where?! I want!!!
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    @Tresset: It's one of those options that's buried in Baldur.lua, and not exposed by default. Either add or set this line in your Baldur.lua:

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show AOE','1')
    Or install argent's amazing Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options to be able to toggle it in-game.
    edited December 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@Lammas Its possible that its not a universal bug, only affecting some people. Bards are my favorite class and I never noticed a reduced bardsong radius. That doesn't mean you aren't, the IE has had all kinds of "selective" bugs over its surprisingly long life.

I find this really weird but I guess that's possible then.

EDIT: so, should I report this as a bug then?
    @Lammas Possibly? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on it. It can't hurt to report it at least.
    I thought I had argent's mod already. Huh... Must have missed something...