Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Cleric 2 weapon style magical weapon bug?

Okay help me out here.

I've designed a Priest of Helm (doesn't matter which one you use for this query).

I give him 1 pip in mace and 1 in 2 weapon style.

I buy 2 maces and put one in each hand. As expected, I get -2 with the main hand and -6 with the oft. Not easy to hit with but it's fine, it's what I expected.

BBBBUUUUTTTTT

When I cast any of the cleric spell weapons, something unexpected happens.

It's treating the THAC0 calculation for both weapons as if I'm not dual wielding at all. As in 0 for both weapons rather than -2 for the magical main hand and -6 for the regular off hand.

Can someone verify this.

Obviously, it's very powerful.

And, it works because I attacked someone and the total damage was more than the main hand could have done on it's own. So both weapons are hitting.

BorcoThacoBell

Comments

• BorcoBorco Member Posts: 133
    Yep, I've noticed the same behaviour and I suppose it's a bug (unsure whether or not it's been reported).

I assume the problem is rooted in the fact that casters gain automatic proficiency with the conjured weapon and, somehow, this also affects off-hand weapons and dual-wielding.

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 480
    Yeah and there is a bug with shapeshifter werewolf form.

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,765
    Those conjured weapons should stop the off-hand weapon from attacking...?

• BorcoBorco Member Posts: 133
    @subtledoctor My understanding is that conjured weapons should not allow you to dual-wield without standard penalties (irrespective of your actual dual-wield proficiency).

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 480
    Its interesting. I think there is conjured weapons that should cannot be use to dual wield with another. And there is what can be.

Borco said:

@subtledoctor My understanding is that conjured weapons should not allow you to dual-wield without standard penalties (irrespective of your actual dual-wield proficiency).

My point us, you're not supposed to dual-wield with them at all. I can only blindly speculate that this bug is related to the new code that allows you to equip two-handed weapons while something is in your off-hand. As of 2.0, when you switch from two daggers to a spear or a crossbow, the off-hand dagger is suppressed; you can keep it in the shield slot, but it doesn't make any attacks and the style penalties do not affect your thac0 with the spear/bow.

Basically these spell weapons should do the same thing. (Under the theory that the magic entirely replaces your current equipped weapons with the spell weapon. One could argue that you should be able to dual-wield one-handed spell weapons with whatever is in your off-hand... but this bug shows that the engine is not really equipped to handle that. So the former interpretation seems better.)

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 3
    The Magical Weapon slot is not valid for Two-Weapon style, it has always ignored any modifiers it might apply. It is probably similar to how Ranged weapons are not valid for any weapon style, even Two-Weapon style (which could be forced pre v2.0). It is also probably related to why certain triggers can/could not detect weapons in the Magical Weapon slot.

By default, using the Magical Weapon slot does not disable the offhand slot. Each specific weapon must be flagged how it will disable the offhand at offset 0x18 of their ITM file.
    These two function the same for normal weapons and for magically created weapons:
    • BIT1 (Two-handed): forces two-handed weapon style, disabled offhand attacks and equipped effects.
    • BIT7 (Left-handed): disables offhand attacks, equipped effects, and Two-Weapon style (inventory still displays two-weapon style modifiers, but they are not included in calculations).
    BIT13 (Forbid off-hand weapon) works differently though:
    • It does not disable equipped effects of the offhand (weapon or shield).
    • For normal weapons, it only disables Two-Weapon style.
    • For magically created weapons, it disables off-hand attacks and Two-Weapon style.
    These two only serve to override which animation sequence is used when attacking:
    • BIT10 (Off-handed): forces dual-wield animation
    • BIT12 (Fake two-handed): forces two-handed animation
    Note: all of these flags only matter if they are on the mainhand weapon.

StummvonBordwehr
    So it seems like magically created weapons should have bit 7 set at 0x18...?

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 1,415
    BIT7 or BIT13.
    BIT7 fully disables the offhand, including shields.
    BIT13 allows a shields, but also doesn't suppress equipped offhand weapon buffs.