Skip to content

Cleric 2 weapon style magical weapon bug?

Okay help me out here.

I've designed a Priest of Helm (doesn't matter which one you use for this query).

I give him 1 pip in mace and 1 in 2 weapon style.

I buy 2 maces and put one in each hand. As expected, I get -2 with the main hand and -6 with the oft. Not easy to hit with but it's fine, it's what I expected.

BBBBUUUUTTTTT

When I cast any of the cleric spell weapons, something unexpected happens.

It's treating the THAC0 calculation for both weapons as if I'm not dual wielding at all. As in 0 for both weapons rather than -2 for the magical main hand and -6 for the regular off hand.

Can someone verify this.

Obviously, it's very powerful.

And, it works because I attacked someone and the total damage was more than the main hand could have done on it's own. So both weapons are hitting.
BorcoThacoBell

Comments

• BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    Yep, I've noticed the same behaviour and I suppose it's a bug (unsure whether or not it's been reported).

I assume the problem is rooted in the fact that casters gain automatic proficiency with the conjured weapon and, somehow, this also affects off-hand weapons and dual-wielding.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Yeah and there is a bug with shapeshifter werewolf form.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    @subtledoctor My understanding is that conjured weapons should not allow you to dual-wield without standard penalties (irrespective of your actual dual-wield proficiency).
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Its interesting. I think there is conjured weapons that should cannot be use to dual wield with another. And there is what can be.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2018
    The Magical Weapon slot is not valid for Two-Weapon style, it has always ignored any modifiers it might apply. It is probably similar to how Ranged weapons are not valid for any weapon style, even Two-Weapon style (which could be forced pre v2.0). It is also probably related to why certain triggers can/could not detect weapons in the Magical Weapon slot.

By default, using the Magical Weapon slot does not disable the offhand slot. Each specific weapon must be flagged how it will disable the offhand at offset 0x18 of their ITM file.
    These two function the same for normal weapons and for magically created weapons:
    • BIT1 (Two-handed): forces two-handed weapon style, disabled offhand attacks and equipped effects.
    • BIT7 (Left-handed): disables offhand attacks, equipped effects, and Two-Weapon style (inventory still displays two-weapon style modifiers, but they are not included in calculations).
    BIT13 (Forbid off-hand weapon) works differently though:
    • It does not disable equipped effects of the offhand (weapon or shield).
    • For normal weapons, it only disables Two-Weapon style.
    • For magically created weapons, it disables off-hand attacks and Two-Weapon style.
    These two only serve to override which animation sequence is used when attacking:
    • BIT10 (Off-handed): forces dual-wield animation
    • BIT12 (Fake two-handed): forces two-handed animation
    Note: all of these flags only matter if they are on the mainhand weapon.
    StummvonBordwehrRAM021_Luke_JuliusBorisov
    BIT7 or BIT13.
    BIT7 fully disables the offhand, including shields.
    BIT13 allows a shields, but also doesn't suppress equipped offhand weapon buffs.
    RAM021
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited April 2019
    kjeron wrote: »
    BIT7 or BIT13.
    BIT13 allows a shields, but also doesn't suppress equipped offhand weapon buffs.

But you still benefit from Single Weapon Style, right?

In other words: is there a way to fully disable the off-hand and nullify all weapon styles for a magically created weapon (without using opcodes #318/177)?
    Luke93 wrote: »
    BIT7 or BIT13.
    But you still benefit from Single Weapon Style, right?
    Unless the mainhand is Two-handed or Ranged, it doesn't check whether the offhand item is functional when using Magically created weapons.
    If you have a shield in the slot you will use Sword and Shield Style.
    If the slot is empty you will use Single Weapon Style.
    Two-weapon style is the only one that can be disabled.
    In other words: is there a way to fully disable the off-hand and nullify all weapon styles for a magically created weapon (without using opcodes #318/177)?
    I don't think so. The only way to fully disable weapon styles is to make it Ranged, but that comes with it's own issues.
    edited April 2019
    @kjeron

I see.....

At this point I think the best solution (generally speaking) would be that of flagging magically created melee weapons as Two-handed (BIT1 instead of BIT7 or BIT13) ---> In so doing you'll disable 3 weapon styles + the off-hand. Then you can disable Two-handed weapon style via opcodes #318/177 (see the spoiler tag below).

But there's a problem: if you keep switching from one form to another one (think about Polymorph Self for instance), the bonuses from Two-handed weapon style get re-applied every other time... That is: start, say, with the Winter Wolf form --> the bonuses vanish. Then change into the Ogre --> the bonuses reappear. Then change into the Spider ---> the bonuses vanish again. And so forth......

Do you know why?
    LAF ADD_SPLPROT_ENTRY
    INT_VAR
    	stat = 111	// PROFICIENCY2HANDED
    STR_VAR
    	value = ~-1~		// User-defined value
    	relation = ~1~		// Equal
    RET
    	index
    END

OUTER_SET	two_handed_style	=	index

CREATE	EFF	~GTTHS1~
    	WRITE_LONG	0x010	233		// Modify proficiency
    	WRITE_LONG	0x014	1
    	WRITE_LONG	0x01c	"-1"
    	WRITE_LONG	0x020	111 + (1 << 16)	// PROFICIENCY2HANDED, increment
    	WRITE_LONG	0x024	2				// Instant/while equipped
    	WRITE_SHORT	0x02c	100
    	WRITE_LONG	0x090	1
    	WRITE_ASCII	0x094	~GTTHS1~	#8	// Parent resource

CREATE	EFF	~GTTHS2~
    	WRITE_LONG	0x010	233		// Modify proficiency
    	WRITE_LONG	0x014	1
    	WRITE_LONG	0x01c	"-2"
    	WRITE_LONG	0x020	111 + (1 << 16)	// PROFICIENCY2HANDED, increment
    	WRITE_LONG	0x024	2				// Instant/while equipped
    	WRITE_SHORT	0x02c	100
    	WRITE_LONG	0x090	1
    	WRITE_ASCII	0x094	~GTTHS2~	#8	// Parent resource

// Then, for each creature weapon:

COPY_EXISTING ~PLYWOLF1.itm~ ~override~
    	WRITE_LONG	0x018	(THIS BOR BIT1)		// Two-handed

LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT
    	INT_VAR
    		opcode = 177		// Use EFF file
    		target = 1
    		timing = 2
    		parameter2 = 2		// EA.ids
    	STR_VAR
    		resource = ~GTTHS2~
    	END

LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT
    	INT_VAR
    		opcode = 177		// Use EFF file
    		target = 1
    		timing = 2
    		parameter2 = 2		// EA.ids
    	STR_VAR
    		resource = ~GTTHS1~
    	END

LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT
    	INT_VAR
    		opcode = 318			// Protection from spell
    		target = 1
    		parameter1 = 2
    		parameter2 = two_handed_style	// STAT PROFICIENCY2HANDED = specified value
    		timing = 2
    	STR_VAR
    		resource = ~GTTHS1~
    	END

LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT
    	INT_VAR
    		target = 1
    		parameter1 = 1
    		timing = 2
    	STR_VAR
    		resource = ~GTTHS2~
    	END

LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT
    	INT_VAR
    		target = 1
    		timing = 2
    	STR_VAR
    		resource = ~GTTHS2~
    	END

LPF ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT
    	INT_VAR
    		target = 1
    		timing = 2
    	STR_VAR
    		resource = ~GTTHS1~
    	END

@kjeron
    But there's a problem: if you keep switching from one form to another one (think about Polymorph Self for instance), the bonuses from Two-handed weapon style get re-applied every other time... That is: start, say, with the Winter Wolf form --> the bonuses vanish. Then change into the Ogre --> the bonuses reappear. Then change into the Spider ---> the bonuses vanish again. And so forth......

Do you know why?
    Winter Wolf form reduces 2h style to 0.
    Winter Wolf is still equipped when Ogre form is used, so it detects 0 prof 2h style, and doesn't reduce it.
    Winter Wolf effects are then gone, and Ogre form isn't reducing prof, so Spider form detects base 2h style prof, and reduces it to 0.
    edited April 2019
    Winter Wolf is still equipped when Ogre form is used...

Well, this is weird since I made sure opcode #111 is preceded by opcode #112 in SPWI494 (so as to remove any previous weapon before creating a new one......)

Am I missing something?
    Winter Wolf is still equipped when Ogre form is used...

Well, this is weird since I made sure opcode #111 is preceded by opcode #112 in SPWI494 (so as to remove any previous weapon before creating a new one......)

Am I missing something?
    The effect order doesn't matter - the equipped effects of the item are still active when splprot checks are made if they are in the same effect stack (applied at same time).
    The effect order doesn't matter - the equipped effects of the item are still active when splprot checks are made if they are in the same effect stack (applied at same time).

So, can this be fixed? I noticed that if category (located at offset 0x001C of the .ITM) is set to 28 (Hand-to-hand weapon), then those bonuses are disabled.....

....but the Inventory Screen still displays them, so I'd like to know if there's a way to fix this cosmetic issue....
    I observe the opposite - using cat28 the weapon style bonuses are still functional, just not shown/included in the inventory display.
    edited April 2019
    I observe the opposite - using cat28 the weapon style bonuses are still functional, just not shown/included in the inventory display.

Yes, you're right (just checked via Ghoul Touch)... but that doesn't seem to be true for Two-Handed weapon style (i.e., the bonuses are not functional but are shown in the inventory display....)
    but that doesn't seem to be true for Two-Handed weapon style (i.e., the bonuses are not functional but are shown in the inventory display....)
    Even Two-handed works for me, this:
    ze777u9vqwho.png
    still deals 2-5 damage, the extra coming from 2h style.
    edited April 2019
    but that doesn't seem to be true for Two-Handed weapon style (i.e., the bonuses are not functional but are shown in the inventory display....)
    Even Two-handed works for me, this:
    ze777u9vqwho.png
    still deals 2-5 damage, the extra coming from 2h style.

Damn it, so the extra damage is there even if the Inventory screen displays 1-4 instead of 2-5 (I didn't try to attack someone in order to see the actual damage output, I trusted the Inventory display :(......)