Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• NoUseNoUse Member Posts: 6
    @Ignatius here you are:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22165&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows Vista 32*&DownloadType=Drivers

Just make you sure you're running vista 32bit and use that trick from the link i posted before, hope it works for you too!
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Super odd situation - just trying to find a situation where we can reproduce it here as well. I have access to a few variety of Intel GPU's - if we can reproduce this then we can fix it.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It may be something to do with the inter connectivity of the chips. You cannot over clock the graphics chip you need to go through the FSB, allegedly... As putting more volts through my chips scares me, I think I Shall I just buy a laptop for Christmas... I was looking for an excuse... But until the 25th I ain't givin up :)
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    A memory leak like this wouldn't be hardware related, especially when you all changing compatibility settings seem to affect the frequency with which it happens. The problem is figuring out exactly what perfect storm is causing this since it doesn't happen on everyone's computer.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    @Nathan if it helps, here is my specs:

Advent Roma 2000

Processor: Intel Celeron C900

Memory: 3072MB DDR2 RAM

Graphics: Integrated Intel Mobile 4 series

Adapter string: Mobil Intel(R) GMA 4500M
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Nathan said:

A memory leak like this wouldn't be hardware related, especially when you all changing compatibility settings seem to affect the frequency with which it happens. The problem is figuring out exactly what perfect storm is causing this since it doesn't happen on everyone's computer.

Changing compatibility mode for me did not change the memory leak, it happens regardless of compatibility mode on or off.

I did disable my sound card and checked again. This time in process explorer it was the baldur.exe that had the excessive cycles and was hanging, rather than winmm.dll

• Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    I don't know about the rest of the people here who can run BG1, BG2, IWD and IWD2 INCLUDING all the mods availible for Tutu and Trilogy, but I forsee a new project on the horizon for those guys who originally made those mods.

No matter how you look at this, it's unsat in almost all directions. Intel has stuff in a good majority of computers, laptops and whatever else. I find it hard to believe that this problem ( lagging in Single Player, video stuttering etc...) is even relevant in a computer that's been made in the past 7-8 years. The graphics are not demanding, the videos, are hardly demanding, and even with the entire Bandit Camp attacking you, that wouldn't be very demanding. It's not like we're trying to run Resident Evil 6 on an early 90's desktop with a floppy drive.

Regardless, the game was 20 bucks. If it gets fixed, great. If not, great. I'll just have to rely on those modders to update Tutu again which, I'm sure will happen to implement some of the stuff in this game. And guess what? That's free AND it works.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    @Nathan just an FYI, I no longer have to run in compatibility mode since the last patch - opens every time so that's good.
    edited December 2012
    Has anyone been able to use a modded INF to install the newer Intel graphics drivers on older hardware? I tried and couldn't get it to work.

Intel just released an updated driver but it's only compatible with the cpu/gpu chips with HD series GPU's.
    edited December 2012
    @bigdogchris Not available for RedGuards and my own chip GMA 4500...
    That will probably be why nothing happens when I click on it. lol
    edited December 2012
    Says GMAx4500

*edit* Crap I see it's grayed out, sorry.

I'll try the 950 in a few days.
  • thenightowl1234thenightowl1234 Member Posts: 3
    Thus far, I've got the game to work for me on my laptop. I tried a mish-mash of things, and what someone else posted that I stumbled across, reminded me of the alterations I had to make for another game...so I messed with it for this one.

Anyway, I went through C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 and right-mouse-clicked on baldur.exe. In the Compatibility section, I clicked on all the disable options listed, clicked Run as Admin and Ran under Windows 95. I then double-clicked the same baldur.exe, and it finally worked.

I haven't had a battle yet, but just getting from a white screen to actually playing, is progress. Here's to hoping!
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @NoUse: thanks, I have finally found the driver I needed (for XP-professional) and managed to install it succesfully. The immediate impact is that the lagging in the intro movie is much reduced although sound still stutters. It seems that in-game lagging when spells are cast have also been much reduced so this is quite an improvement, thanks.

Biggest pain in the butt remains screen flickering when picking up some items. For instance, arrows. In Full Screen mode it means I have to re-start the game everytime I pick-up an arrow in my inventory, which is just not possible. I have no clue how to make that flickering go away, there must be something to disactivate but cannot figure out what.

• chenapilchenapil Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, found a really simple solution that worked on my laptop, check it out
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11221/simple-solution-bgee-working-on-intel-hd-graphics-based-laptop
  • ermoermo Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2012

No matter how you look at this, it's unsat in almost all directions. Intel has stuff in a good majority of computers, laptops and whatever else. I find it hard to believe that this problem ( lagging in Single Player, video stuttering etc...) is even relevant in a computer that's been made in the past 7-8 years. The graphics are not demanding, the videos, are hardly demanding, and even with the entire Bandit Camp attacking you, that wouldn't be very demanding. It's not like we're trying to run Resident Evil 6 on an early 90's desktop with a floppy drive.

Maybe that is because you are not in possession of all the facts?

FACT: Overhaul chose to go with an OpenGL 2.0 based renderer, because most ARM System-on-Chips used in tablets support OpenGL 2.0, just as most ATi and NVidia GPUs and drivers made in the past 5-7 years for both PCs and Macs. Thus it was a sane, straight forward business decision taken with cross-platform portability in mind.

FACT: Intel graphics chips prior to the HD4000 generation (so anything older than current-gen 22nm Ivy Bridge chips) suck balls. The HD4000 generation isn't all that good either, but it's getting there.

FACT: In the past 5 years, a lot of people have bought laptops with no dedicated NVidia or AMD GPU and only dodgy intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3xxx or X45xx chipsets, for which intel provides abysmal OpenGL support. Intel basically says that only using DirectX will even approach what you would consider 'working graphics' on these chipsets.

FACT: Overhaul acknowledges having misjudged which hardware a relatively large proportion of the BG:EE customer base would be using (laptops with intel GMA X3xxx or GMA X45xx) and are actively working towards providing a suitable solution.
  • NakkieNakkie Member Posts: 1
    Dear Developers,

I have 2 laptops, both have Intel GPU's. I was really looking forward to playing Baldur's Gate without all the hassle of mods and whatnot. You can imagine my disappointment when I fired up this game. And now I am reading all these suggestions of messing with .ini files and all kinds of other stuff I never heard of. I am not a programmer but a simple consumer who just wants a working product.

How about giving a free Ipad version to the ones who are affected by this issue? So we can actually play the game we paid $20 for...

Regards,

Marc
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Sorry for sounding like an ass, but I'm a computer rookie when it comes to hardware. Can my Window XP laptop w/ Intel graphic card 945GM chipset play BGEE? I know BGEE doesnt start/play well with the Intel integrated graphics, but does it affect all Intel graphic chips?

Again, I apologize for asking this stupid question. There are too many posts on this thread and I dont have the time to read each post considering everyone has different specs.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    bbear said:

Sorry for sounding like an ass, but I'm a computer rookie when it comes to hardware. Can my Window XP laptop w/ Intel graphic card 945GM chipset play BGEE? I know BGEE doesnt start/play well with the Intel integrated graphics, but does it affect all Intel graphic chips?

Again, I apologize for asking this stupid question. There are too many posts on this thread and I dont have the time to read each post considering everyone has different specs.

It does for me (I have Gateway MP6954 laptop w/ the 945 chipset).
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    @PeteAtoms:

Cool. Also, do you have graphic or gameplay problems?
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    edited December 2012
    bbear said:

@PeteAtoms:

Cool. Also, do you have graphic or gameplay problems?

It's definitely playable. I haven't run into any walls that prevent me from playing. the game runs smooth enough with the settings I am using. I have to set my display to 16bit color, add that "OpenGL 1" line in the INI, disable the hardware mouse option (cursor disappears when manipulating inventory).

I also haven't figured out how to get the movies/cutscenes to run smoothly, it is too choppy and glitchy to watch, but it's simple enough to just click through them.

I haven't messed around with the FPS option in the INI much. The default 30 works well. I've been playing w/ 45 since the last update and it hasn't caused any issues I'm aware of.
  • cyrus213cyrus213 Member Posts: 16

Thus far, I've got the game to work for me on my laptop. I tried a mish-mash of things, and what someone else posted that I stumbled across, reminded me of the alterations I had to make for another game...so I messed with it for this one.

Anyway, I went through C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 and right-mouse-clicked on baldur.exe. In the Compatibility section, I clicked on all the disable options listed, clicked Run as Admin and Ran under Windows 95. I then double-clicked the same baldur.exe, and it finally worked.

I haven't had a battle yet, but just getting from a white screen to actually playing, is progress. Here's to hoping!

Holy crap this works! I thought it wouldnt help but i tried this and it did it :)
    I also put "3D Acceleration '1' " on the baldur.ini file in your documents section

Toshiba satellite
    Intel HD graphics family
    Intel Core i3 2310m CPU@2.10GHz

• JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    @cyrus213 and @thenightowl1234 I've used the exact same settings you guys have but my game still lags a lot - does yours? For example when you are in a heavily populated area on the game or there is water or magic it's nearly unplayable
    Had another mess with the system again today. Just to highlight that it is indeed a driver issue, I upped the maximum frame rate to 60. The lag disappeared to be replaced with characters running around the screen benny hill style. This is no cure, as soon as I ran around the keep to the water fountains I slowed down to just below normal. I think however a button to turn off spell and water effects maybe useful... maybe hard to implement. Movies still stuttering, but I can play sort of.

Try upping your maximun frame rate your baldur.ini from 30 to 60. Let the community know your experiences.
  • EdMaxEdMax Member Posts: 1
    I tried the changes in the baldur.ini, it didn't help at all. I also tried to increase the framerate from 30 to 60. It's still lagging and the game is almost unplayable. NPCs are running really fast though with a framerate on 60. I also cannot really watch the cutscenes.
    What a huge disappointment...

My system:
    Asus X53S
    Intel Core i5
    Geforce GT 540M Cuda, 1 GB
    Anduin said:

Had another mess with the system again today. Just to highlight that it is indeed a driver issue, I upped the maximum frame rate to 60. The lag disappeared to be replaced with characters running around the screen benny hill style. This is no cure, as soon as I ran around the keep to the water fountains I slowed down to just below normal. I think however a button to turn off spell and water effects maybe useful... maybe hard to implement. Movies still stuttering, but I can play sort of.

Try upping your maximun frame rate your baldur.ini from 30 to 60. Let the community know your experiences.

Yeah, I did that a while back. Pretty much the same situation. Benny Hill when it's smooth, but water effects or spells like entangle or fireball just slow the action down to a crawl (in the case of entangle to the point where it's unplayable). Also I get times where the memory leak problem forces things to a near standstill where I have to not only switch off BG:EE, but my computer also because the whole system starts to stutter and freeze.
    Darn... Thought I had stumbled onto something new... The quest for the holy Intel of playability continues...
    Oh, it's still an improvement. Much like all the other tricks like compatibility mode etc, but it's still doesn't fully do the trick. Though it should hopefully do for the interim.
  • thenightowl1234thenightowl1234 Member Posts: 3
    JoeWalker said:

@cyrus213 and @thenightowl1234 I've used the exact same settings you guys have but my game still lags a lot - does yours? For example when you are in a heavily populated area on the game or there is water or magic it's nearly unplayable

Hey there - No, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've had quite a few battles, and covered the maps completely--no lag...yet. I am not sure why it's doing that for you; that really sucks. :-(