Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• thenightowl1234thenightowl1234 Member Posts: 3
    cyrus213 said:

Thus far, I've got the game to work for me on my laptop. I tried a mish-mash of things, and what someone else posted that I stumbled across, reminded me of the alterations I had to make for another game...so I messed with it for this one.

Anyway, I went through C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 and right-mouse-clicked on baldur.exe. In the Compatibility section, I clicked on all the disable options listed, clicked Run as Admin and Ran under Windows 95. I then double-clicked the same baldur.exe, and it finally worked.

I haven't had a battle yet, but just getting from a white screen to actually playing, is progress. Here's to hoping!

Holy crap this works! I thought it wouldnt help but i tried this and it did it :)
    I also put "3D Acceleration '1' " on the baldur.ini file in your documents section

Toshiba satellite
    Intel HD graphics family
    Intel Core i3 2310m CPU@2.10GHz

That's great! I am not super tech/TB savvy by any means, but having to fiddle with stuff so much to get games working (Might & Magic VI - VIII, Dungeon keeper 2, etc.), I've started to catch on to what seems to be worth trying. For the record--if this matters or helps anyone--I always go through the sub-folders and click on baldur.exe to start the game--never the desktop icon. My games never seem to run that way. The .ini thing seemed irrelevant for me, as well (that is, when I tried that first, it still wouldn't run).
  • cyrus213cyrus213 Member Posts: 16
    @JoeWalker - i know what youre saying i still get lag with the magic or populated areas but the game is still playable to me, just have to put up with lag... If game gets too laggy pan off the screen away from the party and go back... but yea, most forest locations are more playable but im still waiting on a alltogether fix... imma try changing the frame rate again
  • ontarahontarah Member Posts: 6
    I've been trying desperately to get new drivers for my chipset but whenever I try to install ones from Intel I get the much mentioned and infuriating "this driver is not validated, go to your manufacturer, yada, yada" message. However, when I install the latest drivers form Samsung and then check the device manager, it still says the old (2 years old at that...) drivers are still installed even though the new driver claimed to install successfully. Manual installs won't work either because Samsung only provides a .exe installation program and nothing with all the needed "loose" files in them. I sent an email to Samsung tech support but frankly don't hold much hope that will bear any fruit.

This is beyond infuriating. Does anybody know of a way to force a computer to take generic intel drivers? I get the same messages about drivers not being validated even when I try manual installs. I'm completely aware I may ruin something on my computer, but at this point I'm more indignant about so many apparent "cover my ass" safeguards" from Samsung and Intel than I am about the lag issue. I reserve the right to ruin my own computer if I want.
  • TimTim Member Posts: 38
    You could try to extract the Generic driver with 7zip or something else. Then you have to search the .inf file for your system. In the System Settings and the Hardware Manager.. doubleclick on the GraphicsCard and click on Driver Update... you then can search for drivers. Point to the folder with the .inf and the PC should install the generic driver. If you get the message that this driver has not the right watermark.. just click on "what the hell, install it you dumbass". ;)

I can assure everyone there was no malicious intent in our shipping of the game. We had a contractual and social obligation to ship when we did. In our testing (which was mainly on game enthusiast computers (in the future we'll do better at including integrated chipsets)) the Intel issues did not show up. We believed there were very few video cards on the planet which would not support OpenGL 2.0 (released in 2004) and that those cards could be fixed by our Open GL 1.0 fallback implementation.
    It appears we were wrong.
    The issue from our early testing appears to be around texture uploading throughput. As is, BG:EE is a stress test on your video cards ability to push textures to the card as many textures are regenerated per frame.
    Cameron has a re-design of the entire render system which changes everything. We'll generate a lot less traffic and our initial prototype on Intel hardware seems promising. This is a large undertaking and will take time. I can't really give an estimate as we still have a little research before Cam commits to an architecture.

-Trent

Problem with this assumption is that people all those who played BG back in its day (who I assume remain a big buyer of this game) are still big PC gamers now. I switched to consoles some five or six years ago due to cost and ease of use factors. In short, my computer is extremely standard because I don't buy gaming rigs anymore. I never assumed that a 14 year old game, no matter how "overhauled" would mean I effectively had to buy a gaming rig to play it.

That's probably overly combative, but it does seem odd that a project designed around multi-platform accessibility, some of those platforms not being especially powerful, would consider that many people would attempt to play the game on machines that aren't supercomputers.
    Tim said:

You could try to extract the Generic driver with 7zip or something else. Then you have to search the .inf file for your system. In the System Settings and the Hardware Manager.. doubleclick on the GraphicsCard and click on Driver Update... you then can search for drivers. Point to the folder with the .inf and the PC should install the generic driver. If you get the message that this driver has not the right watermark.. just click on "what the hell, install it you dumbass". ;)

I tried this, but when I do it, the computer skips the installation process and says that the "correct" driver is already installed. I've tried both the first browse option and the second "let me search for devices, have disk" route to no avail.
  • TimTim Member Posts: 38
    Problem seems to be that they had to stick to OpenGL because they wanted to be multiplatform. Otherwise they had to do a Directx and an OpenGL Version. The Directx One would suffer from such problems with the Intel Chipset as Directx is much more supported. As most of the games on PCs or Laptops uses DirectX instead of OpenGL the Chipset-Manufactor Intel focused on getting better performance on that.. instead of implementing Open GL2 properly.
  • QuaestorQuaestor Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2012
    @ontarah Even if you uninstall the manufacturer's driver (e.g. HP in my case) and install the most recent Intel equivalent there is no benefit for performance on the GMA x4500. Like mentioned in this forum, OpenGL support hasn't been improved over the last generation of Intel GMAs or two.

Fault lies with Overhaul for not surveying the customer base before release - it's called "What system will you be playing BGEE on?" questionnaire. And the remark in the Requirements section stating explicitly that "Intel is not supported" was added way after the problem became known (I actually dug out the cached screens from the BeamDog sales page) - so no excuses.
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2012
    Every time I try the Windows-95-compatibility work-around the program freezes and dies.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    The compatibility thing was giving me a headache until I realized that I was using it on the wrong .exe. It needs to be used/launched from the Baldur.exe in the Data file.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

Every time I try the Windows-95-compatibility work-around the program freezes and dies.

The win95 mode is for performance increases, it shouldn't effect crashing/freezing.

I've found rebooting the system (to clear your memory) helps a bunch when your toggling the Win95 mode on and off.

Also make sure you're setting it on baldur.exe NOT bgee.exe.

Compatibility mode actually works for me for the first few minutes, but then when I leave an area into a new one, the lag starts again. I haven't tried rebooting though. Perhaps I should. It can't hurt at this point.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    hi there. question is:
    i have a big big slow game when smok, fire, and water appear on screen. even when cast some spells, i haeve same problem ,too.
    do you find a solution? is there a new fix by beamdog or bgee official site? thank you very much
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    I just can't play. After five mins in to the game it just get stuck :( when I enter the inventory screen its very laggy and also when I trade with merchants. I am that close to the end of the game and things just got worse. Can't play at all :'(

My comp is:
    Vista
    Intel core 2 quad
    Radeon 6700 series
    4G RAM

I just can't play. After five mins in to the game it just get stuck :( when I enter the inventory screen its very laggy and also when I trade with merchants. I am that close to the end of the game and things just got worse. Can't play at all :'(

My comp is:
    Vista
    Intel core 2 quad
    Radeon 6700 series
    4G RAM

do you try all improvement listed on this topic?
    try to reinstall all game ?

My comp is:
    Vista
    Intel core 2 quad
    Radeon 6700 series
    4G RAM

do you try all improvement listed on this topic?
    try to reinstall all game ?

I tried the openGL thing in the .ini. I tried the compitability to win 95. And I downloaded this GLDirect thingy but the game just crush without even starting with it.

Does reinstalling help?
    @Necroblivion
    do you try to clean disks ? and to organze registry?
    are you using bgee.exe or baldur's gate.exe link?
    sometimes bgee crashed.
    @Necroblivion

Minimum system requirements

CPU: Pentium 4 3.0GHz,Sempron 3200+
    RAM: 500 MB
    Graphics: GeForce 8400 Series,Radeon 9550
    HDD: 3 GB
    Direct X: 9.0

Recommended system requirements

CPU: Pentium D 3.0GHz,Athlon LE-1660
    RAM: 1 GB
    Graphics: GeForce 7800 GT,Radeon X800 Pro
    HDD: 3 GB
    Direct X: 9.0

and there is my maplist . i try it and it works.
    baldur.ini:

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5',
    'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000',
    'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Effect Text Level', '62',
    'Game Options', 'Infravision', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Weather', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Tutorial State', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Attack Sounds', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause State', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause Center', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Difficulty Level', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Quick Item Mapping', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Environmental Audio', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Heal Party on Rest', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Terrain Hugging', '0',
    'Game Options', 'HP Over Head', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Hotkeys On Tooltips', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '50',
    'Game Options', 'Duplicate Floating Text', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tiles Precache Percent', '10',
    'Game Options', 'Pausing Map', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Extra Feedback', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Filter Games', '1',
    'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '1',
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Font Name', '',
    'Program Options', 'Double Byte Character Support', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Drop Capitals', '0',
    'Program Options', '3D Acceleration', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',
    'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '16000',
    'Program Options', 'Tooltips', '20',
    'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Gamma Correction', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Brightness Correction', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Backwards Compatible 3d', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Movie', '90',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Music', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Voices', '100',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Ambients', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '80',
    'Window', 'x', '128',
    'Window', 'y', '96',
    'Window', 'w', '1055',
    'Window', 'h', '798',
    ', ', ', ', ',
    ',
    ', ', ', ', '
    );
    ',
    'MOVIES', 'BLACKPIT', '1'
    );

Colors16 bit
    Triple buffer disabled
    compatibility windows 95 (last 3 slots )
    Where is the option for triple buffer and 16 bit colors?
    right click desktop, graphic properties (i'm using windows7), screen resolution set it 16 bit and then modify 3d tools.
    but i think every gpu have an own setting to modify.
    Okay I did it all. I will check and see if it works. I can already say that it's still laggy. But maybe it won't get stuck.
    Okay.. so after like 20 mins of playing it got stuck on the local map screen. :( I think I will just go back to tutu or something until they'll patch this out.
    @necroblivion
    so i think problems starts from gpu. we hope new pathes can solve your problems. thanks for this conversation.
    sorry but actually i cannot solve this problem. if i find something new, we could speak in INBOX mode. thanks!

@necroblivion
    so i think problems starts from gpu. we hope new pathes can solve your problems. thanks for this conversation.
    sorry but actually i cannot solve this problem. if i find something new, we could speak in INBOX mode. thanks!

Thank you for your time! and your game is still awesome! :3

@necroblivion

Thank you for your time! and your game is still awesome! :3

???
    @ Necroblivion ;)
  • ultcthultcth Member Posts: 4
    my game run perfectly for the the first few minutes of the game, after that it will become laggy and when you play a bit longer it will just become annoyingly laggy, does anyone know a solution to this?
    ultcth said:

my game run perfectly for the the first few minutes of the game, after that it will become laggy and when you play a bit longer it will just become annoyingly laggy, does anyone know a solution to this?

hi. describe spec of your pc
  • ultcthultcth Member Posts: 4
    its Sony Vaio Duo 11
    8GB RAM Windows 8 64
    Intel HD integrated graphic 4000
    Duo i5- @1.70GHz
    ultcth said:

its Sony Vaio Duo 11
    8GB RAM Windows 8 64
    Intel HD integrated graphic 4000
    Duo i5- @1.70GHz

do you modify something on bgee .ini? try to download latest drivers?