Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @Vamphuntr what fixed it for you?

@Vibrantcathode are your drivers up to date?

@milhouse14 did you try the new line I indicated? Graphics OpenGL Version instead of the program options renderer one?
    @AHF whoa. Uhm. That's a new one. Intel card of some sort? Latest drivers from intel.com?
  • milhouse14milhouse14 Member Posts: 8
    @nathan yep. no change.
  • QuaestorQuaestor Member Posts: 22
    Wow - seriously? I mean after di&$%ng about for so long with 1.5 months extra - THIS IS IT? Did I just pay for something that won't run - not even worse than the free mods - it won't run at all?

Guys - I read these articles with you and BGII; better still "is that the company that will give us BG3?" - I think not. Get a beer for my 20 bucks... you'll need it after this.
  • VamphuntrVamphuntr Member Posts: 7
    Nathan said:

@Vamphuntr what fixed it for you?

My issue was that I would get a white screen when booting the game.

I did right click -> Properties - > Compatibility tab -> Make sure you disable all the desktop options (Visual themes, desktop composition) and check run as admin.

I tried multiplayer with a friend via hamachi and all is working fine. No slowdowns or lags.

I have only an Intel HD Graphics chipset in my laptop.
  • sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    @quaestor I'm trying to keep hope alive... Also, bit of a Roman history buff are you?
  • vibrantcathodevibrantcathode Member Posts: 6
    Nathan said:

@Vibrantcathode are your drivers up to date?

They were just recently updated, actually. Also I take back having did the accelerator graphics thing because my brain confused "integrated" with "accelerator" for some strange reason; there is no option for "accelerator graphics" when right-clicking on the NVIDIA icon in the icons menu.
    @sorcerer_57 Trying my best on both fronts. ;) I'll check back later - and please no solutions which start with a version of "Given a rudimentary knowledge of C++...", please.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    BTW I would suggest this is the #1 issue to try to sort out with the game asap, otherwise this could leave a bad impression, which would be a real shame. *Lot's* of users will only have Intel graphics, so this could affect a lot of potential customers. I have faith that this will eventually be sorted out, but obviously this could be a big disappointment for many.
  • vibrantcathodevibrantcathode Member Posts: 6
    Nevermind, I'm so spacey -- I just did the whole "change 3D settings" deal in the comments section of the other thing, and it freaking works, and I'm so happy, and YEEAAHH!!! Nutella with crackers and milk time for meeeee!!! Hugs for everyone! Time to smash some kobolds and gnolls!
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19

@quaestor I'm trying to keep hope alive... Also, bit of a Roman history buff are you?

I'd like to stay hopeful too. As disappointed as I am, though, reading through Trent's twitter and seeing the love that these folks have for BG has kept me from becoming overly bitter. I'd like to hope that even with all the setbacks, delays, and other problems, they'll find a way to finagle a solution to us: heck, I'd be ecstatic and grateful even if that solution was simple a point in the direction of 3rd party software which could solve our lag problems.

• sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2012
    I am giving up for the evening, screwing with this is just making me angry and sad. Good luck to everyone, and if this never gets sorted out...then I bet the whole thing was no better than the tutu mod :-P
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2012
    @Nathan AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, Chip Type: ATI Display Adapter (0x6719), Windows 7 - 64 Bit, Intel i7 990x 3.4 Ghz

When I click Play in the Launcher, or use the actual BG icon in the directory, it churns like its going to start up (hourglass or whatever you call it in Win 7) but then just stops. If I use the start button in Launcher it turns gray for a bit, but then turns blue and stops.

I've restarted and everything... Not sure why but it doesn't start at all (not the white window problem other folks or having, it just doesn't load).

Any clues at all? I know you're slammed mate. Thanks.
    @Oxford_Guy I agree, and it's one of the first things we'll tackle as soon as possible. The worst part is, it's literally just Intel on Windows.

@Quaestor we're working on it, and thanks for your patience. I assure you, the month and a half delay was well used - you can ask any of the beta testers. It's a crappy situation, both for you guys to deal with and also for us to deal with as believe me - you are not alone in expressing your displeasure. We haven't gotten a bomb threat yet, but, I've certainly had some "choice" exchanges with "gentlemen" over e-mail. I use those quotation marks... liberally.

We will make this work. It'll happen, or I'll eat my top hat.

I'm looking into some third party stuff people can try in the meantime, OpenGL to Direct3D wrappers or something of the like. Not ideal, but, neither is Intel's driver situation.

@HaHaCharade that sounds like my PC at home! Only without the problem. If you right click on baldur.exe directly in the directory, and set the compatibility mode to... Windows XP, maybe, does that solve anything? Furthermore, are your drivers all up-to-date from http://game.amd.com/
    edited November 2012
    Nathan said:

@HaHaCharade that sounds like my PC at home! Only without the problem. If you right click on baldur.exe directly in the directory, and set the compatibility mode to... Windows XP, maybe, does that solve anything? Furthermore, are your drivers all up-to-date from http://game.amd.com/

Heh, yeah its a sweet box. Alienware. I'll try that Nathan thanks. I got frustrated and removed the game and am now reloading. Which will take hours. RAGEQUIT stupid decision. LOL ah well. At least I'll know if it was the install.

In the meantime I'll update my drivers.
    @Nathan

That's the spirit. I knew you guys are bold (at the very least testified by this release ;) sorry)

Right, my system is a HP EliteBook 2730p; Win 7 64bit; Mobile Intel GMA X4500 HD

Issue: videos playing choppy, massive lag when in-game e.g. when PCs and NPCs move

The links you've posted:

http://9xxssf.info/files/ -- doesn't have any modded 64bit drivers, so I can't give that a ride.

http://teknogods.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8283 -- installs on 64bit systems, but again no luck with the lag-issue experienced on Intel Chipset machines

Best!
    @Nathan - Downloaded the latest driver from that site - Thanks. I think I was a bit out of date. Also reloading game now. I'll also try your tips. I have a feeling I'll get it working. I'll keep you posted.
  • TurinTurin Member Posts: 42
    This is a bummer, man! :(

The game seems to work mostly fine but the gameplay is very lagged (less than half the speed it should be or something?) and the intro movie is even slower. Is anyone else having problems with the intro movie as well? I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly yet.

I tried the proposed .ini-fix but it doesn't do anything.
  • RogueJKRogueJK Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    Turin said:

The game seems to work mostly fine but the gameplay is very lagged (less than half the speed it should be or something?) and the intro movie is even slower. Is anyone else having problems with the intro movie as well? I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly yet.

I tried the proposed .ini-fix but it doesn't do anything.

My experience exactly. The game launches fine, but has an unwatchable intro video and lagged gameplay, especially during combat. There was no improvement with the .ini addition.

I'm running it on a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and an Mobile Intel 4 Series Express video card.
    Nathan said:

@Oxford_Guy I agree, and it's one of the first things we'll tackle as soon as possible. The worst part is, it's literally just Intel on Windows.

And not trying to sound cocky, but Intel on Windows sounds like a substantial market to me. I'd probably bet on 80% in laptops. You didn't honestly believe anyone would run BGEE on their stationary water-cooled, overclocked hardcore rig? ;)
  • Sardonyx3pSardonyx3p Member Posts: 3
    Small help, if youre having the lagging effect, running the videos through VLC plays them normally. just search for *.wbm in your program files/bgee install directory and play with VLC. Doesnt fix the gameplay, but still makes the movies watchable in the meantime...
  • sixpakofdwarvessixpakofdwarves Member Posts: 5
    My computer shows this when I run an Open GL detector on it, will I be able to run the game??

The graphics driver installed in your computer returned information that shows that your graphics adapter should be able to run Topicscape.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphics Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Manufacturer: Intel
    GL Version: 3.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.2253
    Resolution: 1920 X 1080 X 32 bpp
    Driver version:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz(2694MHz)
    Physical Memory Usage: 2367/4040MB
    Virtual Memory Usage: 4095/4095MB
    @Quaestor no worries, it's a reasonable question.

The problem is, as I'm sure you've noticed, there are some people here who have Intel chipsets that have it working more-or-less without issues. We did a bunch of work with a 3100ish Intel integrated solution and got it working, but, we didn't have a laptop with a 4500 in it - which, as it turns out, was apparently the integrated chipset of choice for a certain year or two of laptop sales. So now we have to find one and fix it, or look into a Direct3D renderer.

By way of explanation, the biggest issue is that when dealing with which renderer we'd use, OpenGL fits for *every* platform, minus this issue which we didn't discover until way way way too late in the project. iOS, Android, Mac OSX and Windows were all fine... minus these Intel cards.

OKAY so I found something that *might* work... who wants to guinea pig for me? http://www.titaniumgl.tk/ appears to be a sort of OpenGL to Direct3D wrapper. I have no idea if it works or not, it crashes the game on my system but maybe it works for one of you with the slow performance? Apparently it's basically an opengl32.dll that you place in your BG:EE directory and attempt to run the game. The good part is there, if it doesn't work you can just delete the .dll no problem...
    @Topicscape that's the biggest problem with many of the Intel HD chips - the drivers report capabilities that are either poorly implemented or don't run well, as they're supported via software rendering. What specific Intel HD #### do you have?
    @nathan any where specific I need to place this .dll?
  • MaltaMalta Member Posts: 11
    Where is the Baldur.ini folder supposed to be located within the BGEE folder? Is it supposed to look like this?

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (

'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '0', 'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory

• sixpakofdwarvessixpakofdwarves Member Posts: 5
    Nathan said:

@Topicscape that's the biggest problem with many of the Intel HD chips - the drivers report capabilities that are either poorly implemented or don't run well, as they're supported via software rendering. What specific Intel HD #### do you have?

I think this is meant for me? I don't know which number, none of the graphics detectors and even my own system properties tell me. Just says " Intel(R) HD Graphics Family". I am running a desktop only so I can VPN into work so it's just a fairly new Gateway... Any suggestions on how to find the number?

@sixpakofdwarves uhhh, yes that was meant for you. It's been a loooooong day. If you can get into the Intel driver control panel I think it should tell you there?

@milhouse14 directly in the same folder as the baldur.exe. As I said, it might make the game crash on startup instead of run slow, but is maybe still worth a shot. If it crashes, just delete the opengl32.dll.

@Malta baldur.ini will be located in your My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/ folder.
    @nathan
    Nathan said:

OKAY so I found something that *might* work... who wants to guinea pig for me? http://www.titaniumgl.tk/ appears to be a sort of OpenGL to Direct3D wrapper. I have no idea if it works or not, it crashes the game on my system but maybe it works for one of you with the slow performance? Apparently it's basically an opengl32.dll that you place in your BG:EE directory and attempt to run the game. The good part is there, if it doesn't work you can just delete the .dll no problem...

Game wouldn't even load to main menu after placing this in game directory. I am more than happy to be a guinea pig for any possible solutions. My gut says finding an existing D3D wrapper that will work is gonna be really tough.
    @Nathan
    @milhouse14

As suggested by the guys at http://www.titaniumgl.tk/ the opengl32.dll went into C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766 (same directory as the Baldur.exe).

This time the game doesn't start up at all.

Baldur.ini set to:

INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',

System is a HP EliteBook 2730p; Win 7 64bit; Mobile Intel GMA X4500 HD