Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• QuaestorQuaestor Member Posts: 22

Small help, if youre having the lagging effect, running the videos through VLC plays them normally. just search for *.wbm in your program files/bgee install directory and play with VLC. Doesnt fix the gameplay, but still makes the movies watchable in the meantime...

In the meantime try to roll a character with more than 90 stat points... just managed... once.
    Moira
  • milhouse14milhouse14 Member Posts: 8
    Digging through the .ini I found this line:

'Game Options', Incredible Lag', '1',

Any chance setting this to '0' will help???

/sorry couldn't resist an attempt at a bit of humor
    iammaddoxswnmcmlxi
  • iammaddoxiammaddox Member Posts: 3
    First post! Swords for everyone!

@Nathan,

I too have the laggy gameplay/choppy movies problem

don't know what kind of video card i have exactly outside of that it's an "intel hd graphics" card
    (i have an acer 7741z laptop)

I've tried your baldur.ini change, and both links at the beginning of this discussion, but to no avail

had no luck with titatiumgl just now, tried placing the .dll it in the BGEE directory and the game ran normally but with the same lag/chop...then tried placing .dll in the 0776 folder and got the same result as @milhouse14.

i've also tried gldirect, and a few other programs after googling opengl fixes...i'm totally open to being a guinea pig so keep throwing ideas out!
    Tieoken
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Okay, back to the drawing board...
  • RalphTrickeyRalphTrickey Member Posts: 8

Nathan said:

@Topicscape that's the biggest problem with many of the Intel HD chips - the drivers report capabilities that are either poorly implemented or don't run well, as they're supported via software rendering. What specific Intel HD #### do you have?

I think this is meant for me? I don't know which number, none of the graphics detectors and even my own system properties tell me. Just says " Intel(R) HD Graphics Family". I am running a desktop only so I can VPN into work so it's just a fairly new Gateway... Any suggestions on how to find the number?

Under Windows 7, click on the globe and in the search box type in device. Under control panel, it lists the
    device manager. You're looking for the Display Adapter.

I'm sure there are lots of other ways to get there, but that's the one I use.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012
    (Removed)
    Post edited by Mechalibur on
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    I have an Intel HD graphics card. The opening video went fine and I am rolling abilities on a gorgeous screen.

I was hard on Overhaul at "The Delay" but in fairness I have to say Well Done!
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Turin said:

This is a bummer, man! :(

The game seems to work mostly fine but the gameplay is very lagged (less than half the speed it should be or something?) and the intro movie is even slower. Is anyone else having problems with the intro movie as well? I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly yet.

I tried the proposed .ini-fix but it doesn't do anything.

Same situation. The opening movie was unbelievably slow: at first, I thought the game had actually frozen. I spent my time making a party for the Black Pits. With luck, someone with a knack for these kinds things will finagle a solution.
  • sixpakofdwarvessixpakofdwarves Member Posts: 5
    Nathan said:

@sixpakofdwarves uhhh, yes that was meant for you. It's been a loooooong day. If you can get into the Intel driver control panel I think it should tell you there?

I understand, I double checked and it just says "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" there too. System Requirements lab says it too. Of course it also said I couldn't run the Star Wars MMORPG and I can on low settings...
  • Sardonyx3pSardonyx3p Member Posts: 3
    Working now!!!! Intel HD Graphics 3000 was running massive lag. Updated to most recent drivers at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.
    Installed v9.17.10.2875
    Runs Perfectly now!!! wooooo
    sixpakofdwarves
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2012
    Nathan said:

@AHF whoa. Uhm. That's a new one. Intel card of some sort? Latest drivers from intel.com?

@Nathan - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. Just confirmed that it has the latest drivers.

It seems like it should be able to handle this:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelhdgraphics3000_2000/sb/CS-032052.htm

This is running on a lenovo ThinkPad running Windows 7 64 bit.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz

4 GB RAM

Definitely would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Nathan said:

@Topicscape that's the biggest problem with many of the Intel HD chips - the drivers report capabilities that are either poorly implemented or don't run well, as they're supported via software rendering. What specific Intel HD #### do you have?

I think this is meant for me? I don't know which number, none of the graphics detectors and even my own system properties tell me. Just says " Intel(R) HD Graphics Family". I am running a desktop only so I can VPN into work so it's just a fairly new Gateway... Any suggestions on how to find the number?

Under Windows 7, click on the globe and in the search box type in device. Under control panel, it lists the

Even there, says "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" AARRGGGHHH, I am shaking my fist to the heavens. I have very fond memories of the original game and would very much like to play the enhanced version!
  • sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    @sardonyx3p thank you!!! mine works now too! *fistpump*
  • SeranSeran Member Posts: 28
    I have Intel HD Graphics 3000 in an E-Series VAIO. I haven't experienced any lag at all but the selectors are totally gone. There's no circles under the characters' feet and I can't see lootables with either TAB or with the cursor over them (I do see the cursor changing but no blue selection.) My girlfriend has an older E-Series VAIO with an Intel HD Graphics chip and she experiences extreme lag but only when her character moves. The game is fine if her character stays there.

We both have the latest drivers from Sony for the graphics cards.
    Using @sardonyx3p link to the intel driver detect thing it shows I have a 2000 chipset, which means??
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Nathan said:

Even there, says "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" AARRGGGHHH, I am shaking my fist to the heavens. I have very fond memories of the original game and would very much like to play the enhanced version!
    On my computer, I:

* goto the control panel

* click on the Intel Graphics and Media

* I select the basic mode for the Intel Graphics and Media thing

* Click Options and Support

* Click Information Center

Then listed under Processor Graphics Information
  • killykilly Member Posts: 18
    killy said:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/GLDirect_d381.html this seemed to fix issues for me with the original 5 discs on a windows 7 computer with Intel i7 processor

Just wondering if this works for anyone else? I would test it myself but the download client is downloading terribly slow for me

• EruelethErueleth Member Posts: 5

Working now!!!! Intel HD Graphics 3000 was running massive lag. Updated to most recent drivers at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.
    Installed v9.17.10.2875

Running great here too! Nice!!
  • EarthlingEarthling Member Posts: 13
    Intel GMA 4500MHD on Windows 7/32 - unplayable. Latest drivers installed. 90 minutes of googling trying to find a solution myself has been fruitless.

Disappointed beyond words right now. And now the wife is mad at me because I haven't demanded a refund yet.

Not the evening I had dreamed of earlier....

Tieoken
  • vibrantcathodevibrantcathode Member Posts: 6
    @Earthling I'm sure the intel issue isn't going to be a permanent one, as it's only day after things have been released. I am positive that they will find a solution since so many people, like yourself, are upset about it, and it is most likely their #1 priority! Don't lose hope yet!
  • betobeto Member Posts: 20
    Too disappointed, my BGEE don't even install, not in my notebook, not in the PC, I don't know what to do anymore, thinking about refund, but I can't believe that a game wich I waited so long to have it and trusted the developers just don't work. Sorry, Beamdog, YOUR bad. Waiting for some solution or my money back. :(
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Earthling said:

Intel GMA 4500MHD on Windows 7/32 - unplayable. Latest drivers installed. 90 minutes of googling trying to find a solution myself has been fruitless.

Disappointed beyond words right now. And now the wife is mad at me because I haven't demanded a refund yet.

Not the evening I had dreamed of earlier....

Same boat. I just checked and my pitiful Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family is considered to be the latest driver as well. Anyone have any luck finding an alternative solution?
    Tieoken
  • TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    Game is incredibly laggy, to the point of being unplayable. My monk can't even get around in decent time. Very disappointing. None of the .ini edits have worked for me either. I'm on a windows 7 in case any computer nerd with a revolutionary solution cares. For everyone who pre-ordered we're getting no perks. Really we got nothing but essentially more beta testing of a crashed program so we can report our problems. Bah humbug man, I'm gonna go grab my original disc sets, at least those work.
    RandRichter1248
  • RandRand Member Posts: 5
    I've installed three times, once with BeamDog and once with the other. Both give me the same error:

AppName: baldur.exe AppVer: 0.1.0.0 ModName: atioglxx.dll
    ModVer: 6.14.10.9606 Offset: 0006a680

HP EliteBook
    WinXP SP3

Intel Core2 Duo
    P8600@2.4GHz
    3Gb RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450

Please Help!
  • OnizackOnizack Member Posts: 1

Installed v9.17.10.2875

This worked for me so far. Great solution.
  • killykilly Member Posts: 18
    Gldirect made the game work perfect for me, no lag or any other issues at all.
  • TurinTurin Member Posts: 42
    @bg_secret_lover Thank you so much! This didn't solve all problems (videos are still weird and I *think* the gameplay is still a little slower than it's supposed to be) but a massive improvement! Thanks for sharing!
    bg_secret_lover
  • EarthlingEarthling Member Posts: 13

2) Set compatibility mode to Windows 95 for BGEE\Data\00766\Baldur.exe

I can't believe it, but this actually worked for me. The games runs quite smooth now. Thank you, @bg_secret_lover!
    bg_secret_lover
  • iammaddoxiammaddox Member Posts: 3
    @bg_secret_lover

You are the true Godchild...this worked for me too! I don't think it's running as fast as it is supposed to, but it is going fast enough that I can at least play. I'm coming for you, Noober!!
    bg_secret_lover