Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Demographics Poll: What is your political affiliation?

2»

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,359
    I would describe myself as apolitical for the simple reason that political parties seem to be incapable of planning (or even thinking) beyond their term of office. This lack of forward planning by politicians means that I can't be blindly obedient to any one political party, I simply vote for whichever one I think will do the best job at the time (or whichever party has the best chance of derailing the incumbent government's gravy train).

StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 1,743

i am a firm believer in what mahatma gandhi wrote about the impossibility of large societies to solve in a satisfactory way the problems that their dimensions create and to solve in a pacific way social conflicts.
    by the way i live in a small village and i am well aware about how conflicts can rise also in little societies...

i am talking of what gandhi wrote, not about how his teaching is often perceived by people and brought us by the mass media. usually people does not go further than reading his autobiography, if they even do it, there is much more to learn about his message to the humanity and to the way he showed us.

he told that he was sure that his way was the solution of the problems the humanity is facing in the modern era, but he told that probably 300 years are needed until that will happen, only 70 has passed now. at now his teaching is widely ignored or misunderstood, but the problems he outlined in a time when they was not so evident are becoming very apparent and constantly worsening, year after year.

I am not in any way read up on Gandhi's ideas but in my opinion democracy suffers the greater the body of vote becomes, and representative democracies suffer incrementally the larger the space between voter and representative. As I see it, this is the source of many of the USA's problems, and also why a representative democracy on the level of EU is a worse idea than an representative democracy on the level of smaller states.

gorgonzolakanisathaUnderstandMouseMagicSkatan
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,818
    I'm prolly considered far left in my country but just regularly liberal in the rest of the world.

Realistically, I could prolly change my vote to far left and be just as accurate.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 6,376
    Progressive. It's not far left but it's left.

• BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 407
    that's the most difficult to set up good linear categories ...
    I'm missing european style liberal left (social democrats, greens, ...) – never would click far left, but left it is.

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 450
    I voted apolitical.

Used to be a die hard liberal. But I got fed up with politics - or politicians at least. Even though I adhere to Christianity, I couldn’t agree more with Nietzsche on his view on politicians.

that's the most difficult to set up good linear categories ...
    I'm missing european style liberal left (social democrats, greens, ...) – never would click far left, but left it is.

This post makes me angry

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 3,254
    edited January 12
    @semiticgod This pool would be better if you've provided the definition for each term... using what it means in our country won't give you/Beamdog solid info.

I know that Liberal is quite the opposite in Brazil and US, as an example.

Me, IDK what to vote TBH. Probably I would float between Conservative and Far-Right.

Post edited by Raduziel on
  • semiticgodsemiticgod Member, Moderator Posts: 11,292
    @Raduziel: I preferred not to enforce a standardized definition because the definition varies so much between countries and between people, and I didn't want the thread to become a debate over what the real definition of X is.

SilverstarThacoBell
    And yet here I am, on the verge of throwing a shit fit over social democracy being called liberal :P

• _Nightfall__Nightfall_ Member Posts: 137
    I have always been conservative, since transitioning I have felt more liberal out of self defense. My views are too different to fit in there though.

I am tired of both even though I agree with some of each. Wishy washy answer huh? :)

kanisathascriver
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 407
    scriver said:

And yet here I am, on the verge of throwing a shit fit over social democracy being called liberal :P

Much depends on the definition of 'liberal' ...
    But this is not the right place to discuss this :|

scriver
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,941
    I was a contractor for the US government for two and a half years. Nothing will make you a libertarian like living in DC and having to deal with unfireable bureaucrats.

kanisathaArdanisgorgonzola
2»