Skip to content

Demographics Poll: What is your political affiliation?

2»

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I would describe myself as apolitical for the simple reason that political parties seem to be incapable of planning (or even thinking) beyond their term of office. This lack of forward planning by politicians means that I can't be blindly obedient to any one political party, I simply vote for whichever one I think will do the best job at the time (or whichever party has the best chance of derailing the incumbent government's gravy train).
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

i am a firm believer in what mahatma gandhi wrote about the impossibility of large societies to solve in a satisfactory way the problems that their dimensions create and to solve in a pacific way social conflicts.
    by the way i live in a small village and i am well aware about how conflicts can rise also in little societies...

i am talking of what gandhi wrote, not about how his teaching is often perceived by people and brought us by the mass media. usually people does not go further than reading his autobiography, if they even do it, there is much more to learn about his message to the humanity and to the way he showed us.

he told that he was sure that his way was the solution of the problems the humanity is facing in the modern era, but he told that probably 300 years are needed until that will happen, only 70 has passed now. at now his teaching is widely ignored or misunderstood, but the problems he outlined in a time when they was not so evident are becoming very apparent and constantly worsening, year after year.

I am not in any way read up on Gandhi's ideas but in my opinion democracy suffers the greater the body of vote becomes, and representative democracies suffer incrementally the larger the space between voter and representative. As I see it, this is the source of many of the USA's problems, and also why a representative democracy on the level of EU is a worse idea than an representative democracy on the level of smaller states.
    gorgonzolakanisathaUnderstandMouseMagicSkatan
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm prolly considered far left in my country but just regularly liberal in the rest of the world.

Realistically, I could prolly change my vote to far left and be just as accurate.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Progressive. It's not far left but it's left.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    that's the most difficult to set up good linear categories ...
    I'm missing european style liberal left (social democrats, greens, ...) – never would click far left, but left it is.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I voted apolitical.

Used to be a die hard liberal. But I got fed up with politics - or politicians at least. Even though I adhere to Christianity, I couldn’t agree more with Nietzsche on his view on politicians.

that's the most difficult to set up good linear categories ...
    I'm missing european style liberal left (social democrats, greens, ...) – never would click far left, but left it is.

This post makes me angry
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2019
    @semiticgod This pool would be better if you've provided the definition for each term... using what it means in our country won't give you/Beamdog solid info.

I know that Liberal is quite the opposite in Brazil and US, as an example.

Me, IDK what to vote TBH. Probably I would float between Conservative and Far-Right.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Raduziel: I preferred not to enforce a standardized definition because the definition varies so much between countries and between people, and I didn't want the thread to become a debate over what the real definition of X is.
    SilverstarThacoBell
    And yet here I am, on the verge of throwing a shit fit over social democracy being called liberal :P
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    I have always been conservative, since transitioning I have felt more liberal out of self defense. My views are too different to fit in there though.

I am tired of both even though I agree with some of each. Wishy washy answer huh? :)
    kanisathascriver
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    scriver said:

And yet here I am, on the verge of throwing a shit fit over social democracy being called liberal :P

Much depends on the definition of 'liberal' ...
    But this is not the right place to discuss this :|
    scriver
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I was a contractor for the US government for two and a half years. Nothing will make you a libertarian like living in DC and having to deal with unfireable bureaucrats.
    kanisathaArdanisgorgonzola
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Hello. To many Americans, I am most likely the enemy, reporting in.

There's no doubt about it; I'm a radical leftist. I definitely see myself and my beliefs as extreme by US and even EU standards, but I'm entirely alright with that; after all, history has proven that the popularity of an idea, or how moderate it is in the sense of being a compromise of sorts between the extremes, has no actual correlation with its validity.

I look at the world and I see something that, in many ways, is broken. The entire world political system is on the edge of falling apart, and while it manages to keep itself on life support, people suffer in its name. This, in my opinion, is not acceptable; no system, no matter how mathematically beautiful - and make no mistake, ours is anything but beautiful - is worth the sacrifice of human lives or well-being.

We are not, in my mind, commodities to be bartered for, and not resources to be expended for some lofty goal or vision of progress. There is My ultimate goal, after all, is for all of us to be good people who live good lives; to have both morality and quality of life at once, for every person and eventually ideally every being. That is a goal that can only be achieved voluntarily, through empathy, human connection, and social reform; if we have to make sacrifices to get there, we've already failed the "good people" bit.

I am a staunch supporter, as a result, of globalism, universal basic income, the rights of women and minorities, environmentalism, anti-capitalism, electoral reform, and so on and so forth.

I think these stances of mine led my friends to, when creating me as a D&D character, make me Chaotic Good. I'd certainly like to believe that they're correct, but whatever the case on that might be, I definitely don't have what would be considered moderate beliefs. That's perfectly alright, though. I'm okay with a lot of people seeing me as the jester spouting nonsense in the corner of the king's courtroom.
    semiticgoddessgorgonzolaSkatan
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited March 2019
    I put down liberal, though these days I feel a lot more centrist-y than I did when I was younger. That's the mellowing effects of age, I suppose.

According to Political Compass, I'm a moderate left-wing libertarian.

According to PolitiScales, I'm a pragmatist reformist productivist rehabilitationist progressive regulationist veganist capitalist... I guess? Well, if they say so—who am I to argue?

I really like the fact that universal basic income is making a comeback as a political discussion topic. I'm with the Yang man. :sunglasses:
    Post edited by Adul on
    Skatan
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Oudyn wrote: »
    Hello. To many Americans, I am most likely the enemy, reporting in.

There's no doubt about it; I'm a radical leftist. I definitely see myself and my beliefs as extreme by US and even EU standards, but I'm entirely alright with that; after all, history has proven that the popularity of an idea, or how moderate it is in the sense of being a compromise of sorts between the extremes, has no actual correlation with its validity.

I look at the world and I see something that, in many ways, is broken. The entire world political system is on the edge of falling apart, and while it manages to keep itself on life support, people suffer in its name. This, in my opinion, is not acceptable; no system, no matter how mathematically beautiful - and make no mistake, ours is anything but beautiful - is worth the sacrifice of human lives or well-being.

We are not, in my mind, commodities to be bartered for, and not resources to be expended for some lofty goal or vision of progress. There is My ultimate goal, after all, is for all of us to be good people who live good lives; to have both morality and quality of life at once, for every person and eventually ideally every being. That is a goal that can only be achieved voluntarily, through empathy, human connection, and social reform; if we have to make sacrifices to get there, we've already failed the "good people" bit.

I am a staunch supporter, as a result, of globalism, universal basic income, the rights of women and minorities, environmentalism, anti-capitalism, electoral reform, and so on and so forth.

I think these stances of mine led my friends to, when creating me as a D&D character, make me Chaotic Good. I'd certainly like to believe that they're correct, but whatever the case on that might be, I definitely don't have what would be considered moderate beliefs. That's perfectly alright, though. I'm okay with a lot of people seeing me as the jester spouting nonsense in the corner of the king's courtroom.

Hmmm, chaotic should mean leaning more to free-market ie: capitalism in my opinion. Are you sure you're not more neutral-good? I think of myself as chaotic-good which means less government interference in economics, not more. I like to think that if everybody was like me we wouldn't need laws at all! The trouble is that the 'chaotic' side tends to trip up the 'good' side often enough that it's probably just as well that not everybody is like me...
    That's the funny thing about the Chaotic Good alignment when you try to translate it to politics. Is a Chaotic Good character a radical liberal who wants to fight the system, or a limited-government libertarian who wants to weaken the system? Both involve opposition to the existing system on behalf of a greater good.
    Balrog99
    edited March 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    That's the funny thing about the Chaotic Good alignment when you try to translate it to politics. Is a Chaotic Good character a radical liberal who wants to fight the system, or a limited-government libertarian who wants to weaken the system? Both involve opposition to the existing system on behalf of a greater good.

Even stranger, a lot of the liberal radicals want to make the 'system' stronger in order to 'equalize' things. Does that make them 'lawful' or 'chaotic'? Maybe it depends on the system they're struggling against...

Edit: Even strangiest, as a chaotic, I'm more apt to see that any individual is unlikely to see things my way and I'm ok with that. That's a terrible way to have any modicum of control in a society so I inherently know that my way doesn't work in reality. That doesn't change my perspective somehow...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    semiticgod wrote: »

Both are chaotic good.
    semiticgoddessBalrog99
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I would say when I think of political extremes I think of neutral evil at best, but what do I know.
    StummvonBordwehrAdul
    O_Bruce wrote: »
    I would say when I think of political extremes I think of neutral evil at best, but what do I know.

Your alignment is more about why you do the things you do, not necessarily the results of what you do. If your motivations are purely selfish, there's a good chance you'll be on the evil side of the spectrum. If you're totally selfless, you're likely good. Most people will most likely be found in the neutral zone in my opinion, meaning their thoughts and actions are somewhat random. Just my thoughts...
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Your alignment is more about why you do the things you do, not necessarily the results of what you do. If your motivations are purely selfish, there's a good chance you'll be on the evil side of the spectrum. If you're totally selfless, you're likely good. Most people will most likely be found in the neutral zone in my opinion, meaning their thoughts and actions are somewhat random. Just my thoughts...

I don't disagree there. What I am observing though, is that extremists tend to prioritize pushing their agendas rather than compromise with their opposition and focusing on what can realistically be done for the common good. Prioritizing agenda is rather selfish by my book, so it's not good.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Just occurred to me: those pools shouldn't be at the Off-Topic section, @semiticgod ? They are not related to IE.
    @Raduziel: Normally yes, but since the purpose of the polls was to get data about the site's demographics, I placed them in the forum that experienced the most traffic.
    Raduziel
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Your alignment is more about why you do the things you do, not necessarily the results of what you do.

A regular trait of well-written villains is that they don't just do bad things for the sake of it, but rather that even if their end goal is noble, they don't care about the suffering they cause on their way to that goal. In other words, from their point of view, the ends justify the means.

I think that philosophy is best represented on the evil side of the D&D alignment spectrum, even if the ultimate goal of the character in question is very noble.
    ThacoBell
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Trying to translate alignment(which represents standards of personal behavior) into political ideologies (which represent societal and economic policy)? Kinda apples and oranges ain't it?
    semiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    shabadoo wrote: »
    Trying to translate alignment(which represents standards of personal behavior) into political ideologies (which represent societal and economic policy)? Kinda apples and oranges ain't it?

Not if you examine the underlying reasons for the affiliation.
    Balrog99gorgonzola
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Lawful Neutral Libertarian-leaning Centrist. Which seems sorta backwards but there it is. I'm very much the "stick to my morals" type, but not the type to force it upon others. IMO there's really no perfect correlation between the two, since politics is all about how you think society should be while alignment determines your own actions.
    shabadoo