Skip to content

How can I enable CLUAconsole in IWDEE v2.5.17.0 (latest version) ?

BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
Hi guys,

It's been years since I last enabled CLUAconsole. Thus recently I updated IWDEE and started a new playthrough.

I wanted to enable the console so i googled for the way to do so.

I read that after v2.0 the file to edit is the .lua so i tried following the instructions in forum but nothing happened when I run the game and press ctrl+space.

Hope some one can shed some light in this matter or simply upload a working .lua file for me to paste into the folder. Thank you.
Post edited by Bubbles on

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    You need to edit the .lua file with the game closed, otherwise the changes won't remain.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @Raduziel
    Did that, pasted this SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') at the beginning of the .lua file, saved it and also tried setting the .lua to read only, nothing happened ...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Make sure you're editing the correct baldur.lua file, for IWD:EE - it should be located in Documents/Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition.

Also make sure the whole folder is not being blocked by your Antivirus and UAC.

You can file the lua file here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/30965/1065517/j6l3BaacPHqD5DC/Baldur.lua
    @JuliusBorisov
    Well, I did all that and still didn't work out.
    Not using any Anti-virus.
    Using Windows 7-64 by the way.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Bubbles, what are you edit baldur.lua with? If it is Notepad, then, IIRC, by default Notepad adds .txt to the end of the filename and saves the modified file in your Documents folder. Have a quick look in \Documents to see if baldur.lua exists, if it is then open it to see if the changes were made...

If you show extensions, (select Options in Explorer, then View Tab and untick "Hide Extensions for known file types [or similar]), you might see that the file type is baldur.lua.txt (or use Properties). You can force the save without .txt by using inverted commmas to contain the filename or use a third party editor (I use Notepad++ which is free). If the file is located in \Documents, you can rename it and paste to your IWD folder.

Hopefully, that is your prob.
    Gus
    Grond0
    @Gusinda
    The file extension is .lua
    The thing is i added SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') and save, the game runs normally without errors but the debug mode just won't work. I place the debug at the beginning of the file, does it matter which line it should be placed under?
    And do I have to edit the baldur.ini file as well using the previous debug for .ini?
    edited February 2019
    @Bubbles, shouldn't matter where in the file you put it as the game will resort the lines then save the new file on exit. If it does concern, then place the line at the end of the file. If you want, you could upload your baldur.lua to here, and I can try it on my game.

No need to edit baldur.ini as it doesn't work with IWDEE 2.5.17.0. You could probably remove it if you want (just make sure that the game is 2.x first).

Gus
    @Gusinda ,
    I can't seem to upload the .lua file so I have it printed in pdf.
    When I edited the file, I placed the line at the biginning, after running the game and quitting, the line was shifted by the game. The game runs normally but the debugging doesn't work.

@Gusinda ,
    I can't seem to upload the .lua file so I have it printed in pdf.
    When I edited the file, I placed the line at the biginning, after running the game and quitting, the line was shifted by the game. The game runs normally but the debugging doesn't work.

edited February 2019
    @Gusinda ,
    Can't seem to attach the file so I list all the lines as below, I originally placed the debug line at the beginning, but after start and quit game, it got shifted.

SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Maximized','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Music','40')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Translucent Shadows','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Drop Capitals','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Tooltips','10')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Active Campaign','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Ambients','40')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Voices','100')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Disable Cosmetic Attacks','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Font Name','')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Sprite Mirror','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Double Byte Character Support','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Path Search Nodes','32000')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Maximum Frame Rate','30')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume SFX','80')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Movie','90')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Auto Pause Center','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Expire Trap Highlights','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Tutorial State','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Render Explored Map','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Duplicate Floating Text','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Heal Party on Rest','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Difficulty Level','5')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Nightmare Mode','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Subtitles','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show Learnable Spells','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','3E Thief Sneak Attack','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Hotkeys On Tooltips','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Footsteps','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Nightmare Bonus XP','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Maximum HP','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Effect Text Level','63')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Quick Item Mapping','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Mouse Scroll Speed','150')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Suppress Extra Difficulty Damage','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Area Effects Density','100')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Command Sounds Frequency','2')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','No Difficulty Based XP Bonus','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Message Box Top','175')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show Message Box Hint','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Color Circles','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Last Save IWD','000000001-Quick-Save-2')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show Character HP','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Weather','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Tiles Precache Percent','100')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Journal Popups','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Always Dither','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Extra Feedback','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show AOE','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Bored Timeout','3000')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Nightmare Bonus Gold','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Combat UI','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Terrain Hugging','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Locator Feedback Level','3')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Filter Games','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Critical Hit Screen Shake','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Over Confirm Everything','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Pausing Map','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Auto Pause State','1791')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Memory Level','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Environmental Audio','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Render Travel Regions','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Confirm Dialog','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Keyboard Scroll Speed','70')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Attack Sounds','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Cleric Ranger Spells','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Ranged Weapon Switching','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Selection Sounds Frequency','3')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','GUI Feedback Level','5')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','HP Over Head','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','All Learn Spell Info','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Infravision','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Classic Selection Circles','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Render Actions','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Language','Text','en_US')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','Zoom','112')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','zh_CN','SIMSUN')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','ja_JP','MEIRYO')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','uk_UA','PERMIAN')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','ru_RU','PTSERIF')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','ko_KR','NANUM')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','SCRY','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','RESTINN','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','AVALANCH','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','RETURN','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','REST','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','ECREDIT','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','RESTDUNG','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','INTRO','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','TOWER','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','HOWDRAG','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','LOGO','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','HOWSEER','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Multiplayer','Enable Chat Menu','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Multiplayer','Last Protocol Used','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Multiplayer','Disable Banters','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Keymap Quick Slots','Zoom Out','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Keymap Quick Slots','Select all','61')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Keymap Quick Slots','Zoom In','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Character Highlights','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','renderer','Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Show Black Space','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','vendor','Intel')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Greyscale On Pause','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Zoom Lock','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','version','OpenGL version 4.0.0 - Build 9.18.10.3071 - build XXXX')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Sprite Outlines','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Nearest Neighbour Scaling','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Hardware Mouse Cursor','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Scale UI','1')

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Bubbles If you download the lua file I linked and put it in the correct folder the game - when it launches - can't automatically change the line.
    @JuliusBorisov
    The file you provided I tried using, the game crashes at start-up.
    I could not download the file as the page opened up as if it is a text document.
    What I did is I copied and replace all the lines in my baldur.lua file with what you have provided and save it as .lua but game crash at start-up.
    If the game is crashing at start up with that file (or the lines) then you don't have Directx 9.0c installed.
    @Bubbles, tried your baldur.lua and had no problems accessing the console. Just to be sure, I press CTRL first, hold and press Space together to access.

BTW, to upload your baldur.lua, you can rename it to baldur.lua.txt. Text files are permitted.
    To download the file that Julius has provided, right click on the link and it should come up with the option to 'Save Link as...'.
    That baldur.lua is set to run DirectX as the game's engine and the one you provided uses OpenGL. It shouldn't matter because the engine type wouldn't impact on accessing the console but as Julius has said, you would need DirextX 9.0c to use it.

I will upload mine for you to try, when you download it, just rename it to baldur.lua and see how it goes. It is set for OpenGL as the engine.

Gus
    @Bubbles, tried your baldur.lua and had no problems accessing the console. Just to be sure, I press CTRL first, hold and press Space together to access.

BTW, to upload your baldur.lua, you can rename it to baldur.lua.txt. Text files are permitted.
    To download the file that Julius has provided, right click on the link and it should come up with the option to 'Save Link as...'.
    That baldur.lua is set to run DirectX as the game's engine and the one you provided uses OpenGL. It shouldn't matter because the engine type wouldn't impact on accessing the console but as Julius has said, you would need DirextX 9.0c to use it.

I will upload mine for you to try. (I will send you a PM with it attached) when you download it, just rename it to baldur.lua and see how it goes. It is set for OpenGL as the engine.

Gus

@JuliusBorisov, Tried to upload and received an error. This has happened a number of times now, when attempting to upload some files to various threads, it comes up with the error message: 'You are not allowed to upload files in the category.'. Is there some problem with the forum? Thanks.
    @JuliusBorisov
    I checked my directx version, it is 11.
    I downloaded and installed directx9.0c and run the game with your .lua file, it still crash.

@Bubbles, interesting. My .lua is set to use OpenGL as the game's engine and shouldn't touch DirectX. Unfortunately the directx report will show Installing DirectX 9.0c over DirectX 11 is okay. Both can live together on the same machine. Some functions were remove in DirectX 11 but remain in 9.0c.

I am guessing that you have uninstalled and reinstalled the game. What we can try next is to remove the saved game area out of the picture and let the game restart with no saved games, no baldur.lua etc. Can you rename your '..\documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition' folder to '..\documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition.old' and start the game. This will then rebuild a new saved game folder and new baldur.lua. If all starts well, then add the console entry to the new baldur.lua.

What it could have been is a corrupt saved game. If all starts well, then see if the console works. If it does, then try bringing your saved games back to the new folder one at a time. This is just to see which one may be corrupt (if any).

If it doesn't start well and crashes, then could you run 'dxdiag' (from Command Prompt), save and upload the results. This will give us a good idea what your system looks like. If you can't upload it, then send a PM to me with it attached.

Gus
    @Gusinda
    I did as you have instructed, the game could launch with fresh .lua (1line only).
    I exited the game without starting any new play.
    I then porceed to add SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') into .lua and start the game. This time i started with standard party. Upon ending the first conversation with the npc, I tried ctrl+space, nothing happened ...

Attached is my dxdiag results
    @Gusinda
    I did as you have instructed, the game could launch with fresh .lua (1line only).
    I exited the game without starting any new play.
    I then porceed to add SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') into .lua and start the game. This time i started with standard party. Upon ending the first conversation with the npc, I tried ctrl+space, nothing happened ...

I could not upload my dxdiag results, a message prompting that I cannot upload a file in this category.
    @Gusinda
    Now I am re-installing IWDEE and hope it works.
    @Gusinda
    Well I re-installed and still not working
    I guess it's time for you to create a report at support.baldursgate.com - it's the place where our QA is active. And you'lll be able to attach the needed files there (while there's a bug with the forum).
    @JuliusBorisov ,
    Gusinda showed me a work-around and it works.
    Now, however, I realized the console does not allow the party to move to HoW , ithe map code is not available even when I manually keyed in.
    @Bubbles, I just did a quick check and was able to move to HoW, although moving to the start was troublesome... It kept on balnking the screen when I the video was playing. Will have a look at that later as it is probably related to my system. I was able to go to AR9103 though. Not sure what the problems might be by doing this however.

The command I used was CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR9103"), I also tried C:MoveToArea("AR9103") with both lighting the way. Select the entire party first, and use AR9100 for Lonelywood.

Gus
    @Gusinda
    I managed to move to HoW map but I have to talk to the shaman first to first get him to move me :smiley:
    Otherwise, without first activating HoW quest, game frozed after the movie ^^

Thank you everyone for the assistance rendered, you guys are GREAT!!
    GusindaGrond0JuliusBorisov
    What was the workaround that fixed it for you, @Bubbles , in the end (in terms of the console not working)?
    @JuliusBorisov, I sent the GUI version of the accessing the console to @Bubbles.

Now if I can only get the update attached to the thread... Can't upload there (or some other threads) for some reason.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
    @Gusinda Can you test and create a thread in /Site Resources about all the subforums where you can't upload files and what files are those (archives, pics, etc).
    Gusinda
    @JuliusBorisov, done. It seems that there are others and I found reference to the same problem in this disussion so made an entry there.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • MadMax44MadMax44 Member Posts: 1
    This forum helped a ton. I tried to find the correct cheat file for several hours a few nights ago and then I came to the realization that I was looking at outdated forums. I used the file that @Bubbles posted and it worked beautifully. It crashed once so far but that is probably due to the fact I leveled up all the characters to 10th level right off of the bat!
    JuliusBorisovGusinda