Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Black Blade of Disaster THAC0 bonus?

Apologies for what is potentially a silly question, but is the THAC0 bonus from Black Blade of Disaster supposed to be "only" +3?

idjEqE0.png

I haven't really used the spell before but I thought it'd give +5 (what with its hitting like it's +5 and giving +5 damage.)

Screenshot's from a brand new and unmodded ToB game; I just consolled in a scroll.

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 1,677
    Normally it grants a +5 to-hit, but see: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38274
    Notably, this section:
    • Casting the spell does not immediately update the characters THAC0 stats (this is not just visual).
    • Updating the character (taking damage, altering their inventory in any way) will update their THAC0.
    • This is a side affect of Magical Weapons that grant their own proficiency, as it initially uses the proficiency value that existed prior to its casting.
    If I had to guess you already have specialization in Longswords.
    -3(Proficiency) + -3(Black Blade) = -1(Proficiency) + -5(Black Blade) = -6 total
    I don't know why it displays it this way, but it does.
    A non-proficient mage will display:
    -3(Proficiency) + +3(Black Blade) = +5(non-Proficient) + -5(Black Blade) = +/-0 total

Grond0AndreaColombogorgonzolasemiticgod
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,233
    Thank you very much, @kjeron and @sarevok57 .

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of striking as a +6 weapon? Are there enemies immune to +5 in the game?

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 773
    The level 9 spell "Absolute Immunity" makes you immune against weapons up to enchantment level 5.

AndreaColombosarevok57semiticgod
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 4,621
    Thank you very much, @kjeron and @sarevok57 .

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of striking as a +6 weapon? Are there enemies immune to +5 in the game?

I don't think there are any benefits in the unmodded game. Absolute immunity requires +5 to hit and there's a demon that also requires +5 to hit, but I'm not aware of anything that needs +6.

AndreaColombogorgonzolasemiticgod
    The level 9 spell "Absolute Immunity" makes you immune against weapons up to enchantment level 5.

Possibly an SCS feature (as @Grond0 suggests that is not the case in the unmodded game)?

It would indeed add value to BBoD and Carsomyr in its +6 form, but I would still want to dispel Absolute Immunity before attacking in all cases—so still not too much of a point to “striking as +6” except perhaps pride of ownership/wielding/striking (which is a legitimate goal in itself, mind you.)

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 4,621

Possibly an SCS feature (as @Grond0 suggests that is not the case in the unmodded game)?

It would indeed add value to BBoD and Carsomyr in its +6 form, but I would still want to dispel Absolute Immunity before attacking in all cases—so still not too much of a point to “striking as +6” except perhaps pride of ownership/wielding/striking (which is a legitimate goal in itself, mind you.)

I was wrong though ;). It's not a spell I use, but in the vanilla manual it says absolute immunity protects against "all weapons except for those of +5 or better enchantment". That description has been changed in EE to "all weapons except for those of greater than +5 enchantment". Testing the spell itself it does indeed protect against +5, so either the spell has changed or (more likely) the original description is wrong.

There is a component in SCS that increases the protective effect of mantle, improved mantle and absolute immunity by 1 - so if you had that installed that would mean the latter spell would protect even against +6 weapons.

AndreaColombo
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 4,126
    Grond0 wrote: »

I was wrong though ;). It's not a spell I use, but in the vanilla manual it says absolute immunity protects against "all weapons except for those of +5 or better enchantment". That description has been changed in EE to "all weapons except for those of greater than +5 enchantment". Testing the spell itself it does indeed protect against +5, so either the spell has changed or (more likely) the original description is wrong.

There is a component in SCS that increases the protective effect of mantle, improved mantle and absolute immunity by 1 - so if you had that installed that would mean the latter spell would protect even against +6 weapons.

im pretty sure in the original vanilla game, absolute immunity protected you against +5 weapons and less, regardless of what the actual spell description said

Grond0
    kjeron wrote: »
    If I had to guess you already have specialization in Longswords.
    -3(Proficiency) + -3(Black Blade) = -1(Proficiency) + -5(Black Blade) = -6 total
    I don't know why it displays it this way, but it does.
    A non-proficient mage will display:
    -3(Proficiency) + +3(Black Blade) = +5(non-Proficient) + -5(Black Blade) = +/-0 total

That's exactly it. I changed something in my character's inventory and I had the correct THAC0 bonus.

Thank you!

Grond0