Skip to content

Simultaneous no-reload Baldur's Gate quadrilogy run

jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
Consolidating posts from The Adventurer's Lounge for a simultaneous no-reload run.

Original starting comment:
Mantis37 wrote: »
I was vaguely thinking about doing another no-reload sometime, and had an idea that it might be interesting to have a community challenge going on. We all usually just try to do our own thing (and fail in our own way!) and set individual conditions- whether that be single class runs, poverty runs, insane with scs, berserker sword or whatever. However, if people who have previously completed a no-reload suggested a minor rule to adhere to, then that might make for an interesting cumulative challenge- the no-reloader's noreload ;). For example I might suggest that you must always have a full party where possible but no resurrections are allowed, someone else might recommend that potions can't be used in combat, and yet another person might suggest a 'carousing' rule - your characters like to party and blow 10% of their cash at an inn at every available opportunity in classic sword & sorcery fashion :). After about 5 or 6 people make a suggestion things could get very interesting indeed. Any thoughts on what sorts of rules might be interesting for you?
semiticgod wrote: »
I'm not known for restricting my runs very much--I'll use almost any option available--but I do have a habit of abandoning certain tricks and exploits once I get tired of them, or once I can't find any new uses for them. If you were to make that a general restriction, I suppose my rule, in this "cumulative restrictions" challenge, would be: "No exploits, glitches, or tricks that you've already used in a previous run."

The definition of "exploit" is probably best left fuzzy for the purposes of this rule, since people have rather different perspectives on what constitutes an exploit.
Grond0 wrote: »
I'm not sure about setting out lots of different rules - I suspect that could potentially get a bit annoying and difficult to follow if you're strict about sticking to rules. There was talk at one time about doing another run where people each contributed a character, so that everyone used the same characters - though with freedom to develop them as they wished. Would anyone be interested in that?
Stromael wrote: »
Do you mean a community/forum Let's Play, @Grond0? If so, I'm down for that!
@Stromael effectively all I was suggesting was that a group of us all start with the same party and see how we each get on. My memory is so bad I can't remember who did best last time - possibly @Serg_BlackStrider (apologies if I've got that wrong)?
Ah, got it. Sounds actually quite fun! I'd be up for it.
One of the most fun things we did on the old planetbaldursgate forum was to play a succession game. I don’t recall if it was no-reload, and it was a party game rather than solo and without mods. Essentially somebody plays for a bit, hands over the save file to somebody else to continue, and so on with many players taking it in turns to play the same game. Normally accompanied by a report of what happened in the time each person was playing.

That was fun.
I like the idea of multiple simultaneous runs. We could give each other advice on the way.

How about everyone suggests a class or NPC to include in a party and then we can vote on which ones to include, since we might have more than 6 participants?
How about a basic SCS install without scary Tactics or Ascension stuff? I think multiple simultaneous runs should work with a gentler setup. We could keep some of the tougher components off the table, like universal pre-buffing.
If a number of people wanted to do simultaneous runs, I would have thought an unmodded setup might make more sense, so no-one would feel excluded.

I'd like to see a shaman included on the grounds they don't get enough love ...
lroumen wrote: »
True. I think that's probably the best approach. Then we also need one character for all with all the same stats I suppose? A 75 or 80 spread most likely.
I like the idea of multiple simultaneous runs. We could give each other advice on the way.

How about everyone suggests a class or NPC to include in a party and then we can vote on which ones to include, since we might have more than 6 participants?

There is this old thread too, if any would like inspiration:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66428/your-signature-character-class/p1

If we had 6 forumites I would, in my overcomplicating way, feel
like they should all be Bhaalspawn. The "no, I'm Gorion's Ward" run ;).
Also, my signature character for this challenge would be a gnomish cleric/illusionist named Frisky Bits. My typical portraits are attached.

I looked back at the Hall of Heroes and five characters have Undertale-themed names: Chara, Frisk, Frisk, Frisky Bits, and Frisky Bits. Why not add more?
I think I'd go with an Avenger druid. Pic can be the default buff bald guy as it has some resemblance to me.

Stats, allowing for the avenger kit subtractions- S11 D15 C11 I16 W9 CH9. Yes I know these are illegal, just EE them in later :).
@Mantis37 I imagine there must be an interesting back-story as to why someone with a wisdom of 9 was desperate to be a druid :). If we're setting stats I would suggest the following for a half-orc true neutral shaman: S18 D8 C17 I11 W15 C9. I attach the character portrait I usually use for that.

Thus far we've got an avenger, a shaman and a cleric/illusionist - this party is feeling really divine :p. Anyone want to contribute something with a bit more punch (or sneakiness), or would people prefer to go with a full party of casters ...
My submission is unusual:

Priest of Lathander (11) -> Ranger
(Racial enemy: Demonic/Fell)

The aims: stack damage resistances (AoF, DoE, Hardiness, Roranach, Dumathoin, Sewer Cloak), gain access to Druid spells plus lots of buffs, easy dual-wield, racial enemy, Fighter HLAs. She should be a decent tank with interesting utility spells.

Most important is the Boon of Lathander buff (combat/APR bonuses, immunity to level drain).

Suggested dual-level: 11, giving 2 BoL + 3 Hold Undead + up to 6th-level Priest Spells. Earlier possibility of 5, since AoF increments there. Or you could do the masochistic 15 for better AoF. :wink:

Name: Falesia

Str 17 Dex 17 Con 13 Int 11 Wis 17 Cha 8

(She needs ludicrous Str/Dex/Wis to be able to dual into Ranger.)

Feel free to set Ranger Druid spells on or off in your config file.

Was concocting this character before @Mantis37 and @Grond0 commented, but I'm glad it continues the divine theme. :smile: I'm imagining her as proud, self-righteous and arrogant, but taking a hippy nature-lover turn mid-way; role-play as you like, though.

EDIT: Forgot the portrait.
EDIT2: Ran tests; corrected Priest of Lathander level-up info.
Well, I was vaguely basing the stats on myself, and in the previous thread I'd gone for a Ranger/ Mage which is a mod combo of course, so I went for something vaguely similar. I suppose a Stalker might also have been a plausible mix of nature with a dash of mage. Now I have an image of an Avenger who has lost their faith a bit though: "You defile this sacred space with your logging Lord Khellon, we must find a middle way over tea & crumpets." A sort of homage to Eddie Izzard's Cake or Death routine if you're familiar with it :).
I can only offer to the run a drunken barbarian Cuwaert who uses no weapons and just goes into a breaking stupor after getting hammered at a bar. Maximal potion use for absolutely no good reason is warranted. .
Str 15, dex 5, Con 12, int 13, Wis 6, Cha 7.
Proficiency only in weapon styles.

If you want it :)
Me likey. :lol:

EDIT: Only 1 left guys, then we can start! Any Thief takers?
jessejmc wrote: »
My submission, unless a more established user wants the slot:

Star, a female halfling, chaotic neutral swashbuckler using Clara's portrait. S10 D19 C16 I9 W8 CH17.
So we've got a play-it-safe gnome, a foppish druid, an angry shaman (seemingly, from the pic), an arrogant religious fanatic, a permanent drunk, and a...whimsical halfling? (Ever difficult to interpret CN.) Sounds like a pleasantly dysfunctional party. :wink: Any other proposals/alterations?
Suggestion:

I'm interested in following or watching this multi-player project you guys and gals have going, but shouldn't this have its own thread?
Suggestion:

I'm interested in following or watching this multi-player project you guys and gals have going, but shouldn't this have its own thread?

Well if they intend to do no reload, they can just put in that thread. But if not, then yeah they should make its own thread.
Suggestion:

Point taken. With preliminaries out the way, let's continue in the NR thread.

These were posted to the "Maybe this time..." thread before I had set this one up.
Speaking on the "multi-runner, same-party" no-reload run we've discussed in the Lounge, I'd like to keep the floor open to more votes. It would be nice if we could choose from a small pool of characters, or vote on the ones we find most interesting, before we jumped into it. I say this mostly because I wouldn't really find it interesting to do RP stuff like taking the barbarian alcoholic to taverns to get wasted every now and then.
Speaking on the "multi-runner, same-party" no-reload run we've discussed in the Lounge, I'd like to keep the floor open to more votes. It would be nice if we could choose from a small pool of characters, or vote on the ones we find most interesting, before we jumped into it. I say this mostly because I wouldn't really find it interesting to do RP stuff like taking the barbarian alcoholic to taverns to get wasted every now and then.

I don't mind that character drinking, but I do wish he was a monk in the drunken monkey style ;).
Post edited by jessejmc on
JuliusBorisovMantis37BelgarathMTHCrevsDaak

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I propose that we can pick whichever adventurer we want to be the child of bhaal.

I will use my drunken Cuwaert until he eventually dies against battle horrors. Then I will likely reconsider and pick a different one. I am contemplating how much of bg1 and SoD I will do. Side quests are interesting and all but may delay the run (I am now with a non eventful run still in bg1 after about 10 hours of play).

Vanilla core for me, but I am also considering trying LoB for once.
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for setting this up @jessejmc. Falesia's alignment is CG.

I'm a near first-timer with no-reload, so although I love SCS, I'm happy making attempts in vanilla/core. This is also a good excuse to try and enjoy the EE (no choice about using it, if I'm to include Shaman :tongue:). I would also be happy upping the difficulty but disabling extra damage.

Is SoD also a must?

I'm happy to use Cuwaert as a fist-fighter, but probably won't be turning my run into a pub-crawl.
    Grond0Mantis37
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @jessejmc Your comment here was caught by the forum's automated spam filter. I have restored it and verified you so that this should not happen again.
    JuliusBorisov
    I'm happy to use Cuwaert as a fist-fighter, but probably won't be turning my run into a pub-crawl.
    You can use him as a normal barbarian if you like. Most likely you need him to carry the party a bit as front line.
    Stromael
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,169
    Thanks for setting this up @jessejmc. Falesia's alignment is CG.

I'm a near first-timer with no-reload, so although I love SCS, I'm happy making attempts in vanilla/core. This is also a good excuse to try and enjoy the EE (no choice about using it, if I'm to include Shaman :tongue:). I would also be happy upping the difficulty but disabling extra damage.

Is SoD also a must?

The general attitude to SoD seems to be that it's preferred but not a must. I've done runs with it and without, last time I didn't use it because the Android version wasn't playing nice with mods yet. I pretty much always play heavily modded installs so vanilla is probably going to have some nasty shocks! Am not going to start quite yet as have picked up a nasty bug, but looking forward to it :smile:.
    Grond0
  • jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
    I propose that we can pick whichever adventurer we want to be the child of bhaal.

I agree with picking whichever adventurer will be the Bhaalspawn, although I will probably pick Frisky Bits (for find familiar) or the shaman, as both of them should be near the back and out of danger. That said, I will be role playing from Star's perspective, a mercenary hired by Gorion to ensure the safety of his ward.

Is SoD also a must?

I'm also a near first-timer, so my vote would be for vanilla/core as well, although I'm not opposed to giving SCS a try. I was going to attempt SoD, as I still haven't played more than the first few minutes of it yet.
    You can use him as a normal barbarian if you like. Most likely you need him to carry the party a bit as front line.

I read some of your original thread, and he does use darts (bar games) and picks up Gorion's dagger to kill a wolf, so it's not like he never used a weapon. I'm not sure which other proficiency(s) to start with but imagined him realizing the need to get better with weapons as the adventure progressed. Do you get the benefit from sword and shield style if unarmed while holding a shield? Two weapon style could make sense as he's used to grabbing random bottles/objects for hitting people, although a similar thing could be said for two handed weapons from picking up chairs, tables, or other patrons. I'll probably get him sloshed a few times but don't know if I'll go out of my way too much for it.

Star was originally going to be a cleric/thief to continue on with the divine theme, but then I noticed there was a barbarian. She would have been embarrassed of her divine powers seeing as she was an atheist. She knew the gods were real (this being the Forgotten Realms), she just didn't believe in them. She could also be a fighter/thief, but everyone else was picking stuff with a flair, and I thought that could be a bit boring. I'm not opposed to having her be either of those things still, although I'd have to make some changes if she were a cleric/thief.

How much were people planning on using metagame knowledge, cheese, or things like that? As a newer player, I don't mind using any advantage available to me but am interested in what everyone else thinks. It's not like I have to immediately go kill Shoal, the flesh golems, and the basilisks, but it would make things easier. What about things like pre-emptive attacks on the assassins or killing Algernon for his cloak and Dushai for her ring?
    Grond0StummvonBordwehr
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As for me, I'm gonna metagame the hell out of this run, and the survival of Dushai is entirely dependent on whether I deem the Ring of Free Action worth the reputation loss. Roleplaying is one of the things that makes these runs most fun for both players and readers, but I'm afraid the RP stuff isn't going to come from me. I'm all about game mechanics.

Frisky Bits is usually Chaotic Good in my runs, and their stats are always min-maxed, though I almost never drop CHA below 8 because it doesn't suit the character Frisk from Undertale. Attached are the portraits I normally use for Frisky Bits for those who want to try them (RP-wise, Frisky Bits would ostensibly be a high-DEX, high-WIS, high-CHA character). I generally pick the Female Monk soundset from IWD2, since it's fairly low-key and can fit almost any non-male character.
    StummvonBordwehr
    As for the install, my vote is for a bare-bones SCS install, with basic AI improvements but no special powers for critters (no Improved Vampires component, for example) and no pre-buffing for enemy spellcasters. What about you guys? What mods, if any, would you want to include in this run?

Are there any more participants who'd like to contribute a character? @Blackraven, @Enuhal?
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    Hey,

I like the idea, but I don't have the time to participate myself currently. If you want more characters to choose from, here's one from me:

Name: Fenvarien
    Race: Elf
    Sex: Male
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Class: Stalker
    S18/XX D19 C17 I9 W14 CH8

I've once tried to get a stalker into the Hall of Heroes and failed in one of the more unfortunate ways: Getting killed by bad luck while trying to get through the Spirit Warrior maze in WK level 5. I hope someone else can put the kit to better use!
    Mantis37Grond0
    How do you manage mods if doing multiple runs? Like for switching between vanilla and SCS?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Have 2 (or more) separate installations.
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaak
    You can copy your game into a new folder and then install mods on that new folder. For example, I'm currently running a modded SCS install in my Steam folder, but if I were to try a new install, I would copy my BG stuff in the Steam folder over to the Games folder elsewhere, then do a clean reinstall of BG before installing the new mods in the Steam folder.
    At my crazy mod installing peak I think had about 6 versions on the same computer...
    edited March 2019
    @Enuhal, excellent, that'll give us at least one back-up plan in case of a perma-death. :smile:

@everyoneelse, since I adore SCS so much, I'm'a side with @semiticgod here: simplest AI-scripting upgrades, no special powers and no pre-buffing. I would include enemy HLAs under special powers, so those shouldn't enter SoA. I'm on the fence about improved boss-battles: the BG1 ones especially are much more interesting! (Although perhaps "interesting" is too close in meaning to the Chinese curse.)

To combat lack of enemy HLAs in SoA I would also strongly advocate the vanilla XP cap.

I also propose these be full games, i.e., we attempt everything available in every game. This includes the entirety of Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep. *gulp!* :confounded: (You can finish them how you like, e.g., you don't have to battle Demogorgon. I know I'll give it a shot though, if I ever get there.)
    semiticgoddess
    As for the install, my vote is for a bare-bones SCS install, with basic AI improvements but no special powers for critters (no Improved Vampires component, for example) and no pre-buffing for enemy spellcasters. What about you guys? What mods, if any, would you want to include in this run?
    @everyoneelse, since I adore SCS so much, I'm'a side with @semiticgod here: simplest AI-scripting upgrades, no special powers and no pre-buffing. I would include enemy HLAs under special powers, so those shouldn't enter SoA. I'm on the fence about improved boss-battles: the BG1 ones especially are much more interesting! (Although perhaps "interesting" is too close in meaning to the Chinese curse.)

Based on the above, I've made some assumptions about the SCS configuration.

What do you want to do with this group of components?
    1: Install all of them (you will be asked about multiple-choice components)
    2: Choose whether to install each component
    3: Skip this group of components
    Q: Quit without installing anything

Spell tweaks - 3: Skip
    Item tweaks - 3: Skip
    Gameplay tweaks - 3: Skip
    Cosmetic and ease-of-use tweaks - 3: Skip
    AI enhancements - 2: Choose
    Install everything except for:
    High-Level Abilities for spellcasters (BG2, BG2EE, BGT)
    [Smarter Mages] 3] Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat
    [Smarter Priests] 3] Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat
    [Potions for NPCs] 1] All of the potions dropped by slain enemies are recoverable
    Improved Spiders
    Improved Golems
    Improved Fiends
    Improved Vampires
    Anything that [- requires Ascension]

Tactical Challenges - BG1 - 3: Skip
    Tactical Challenges - BG2 - 3: Skip

Please let me know if anything should be changed. I have no preference here and will defer to people with more SCS experience.
    A small amount of scs seems fair enough. But then install eet or install per bgee and bg2ee separately?
    I don't want to fuss with EET myself, but it shouldn't have a major impact on gameplay whether we use it or not.
    edited March 2019
    I'm sure everyone here knows this, but for anyone who's having trouble installing SCS, if you're on the Steam or GoG version, make sure to be aware of modmerge.

My SCS config.
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6032 // Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6042 // Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6103 // Potions for NPCs -> Two thirds of the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v31
    That's only for SoD though, right?
    @lroumen: If you have SoD, you'll need to run ModMerge to merge your BG1 and SoD games, or otherwise you won't be able to install mods on either. If you don't have SoD for some reason, I guess you wouldn't need ModMerge, but SoD is definitely worth trying out if you haven't played it before.
    edited March 2019
    I'm having trouble managing multiple installs. So, I copied my existing SCS install to a different folder, uninstalled the game via Steam, reinstalled it, and then tried to install SCS on the fresh install. But the installation of SCS fails completely; it says the mod is "either too old or too new" to update it properly--even though I deleted all trace of SCS from the Steam folder, and even if I re-download the SCS mod. So the SCS installer refuses to make any changes to the game. Weirder still, WeiDU acts like SCS is already installed (when it asks if I want to install a given component, it asks if I want to reinstall it or uninstall it), even though my override folder is completely empty.

I notice that Steam starts at 37% when I try to reinstall the game, and there's a message that suggests that Steam is grabbing files from elsewhere on my computer, which suggests it's copying files from one of my duplicate installs. But I don't want to delete either of those, because I know they're stable, and if I remove them from my computer and then am unable to install SCS anyway, suddenly my computer has no SCS installs and won't make any new ones.

Right now I'm trying to copy over my old SCS install, then uninstall all of my normal mods before reinstalling SCS with different components, instead of trying to do a clean install from Steam.
    edited March 2019
    That's only for SoD though, right?
    I believe so. I noticed it after attempting to install SCS. A copied game directory would work until I installed SCS, and then that install would quit starting.

@semiticgod
    I'm on a fresh Windows/Steam/Baldur's Gate install, so there may another issue somewhere, but:
    Does your copied SCS install run without any issues? If so, you should at least have a safe backup.
    After you uninstall Baldur's Gate with Steam, does the game folder still exist with contents?
    "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition"
    If so, I would delete it and then do the fresh install (and then be sure to run modmerge).

The only other things I can think of are the "...\Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Baldur.lua" file or the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\engine.lua" file having an affect, although from what I've read, they shouldn't.

I discovered my SCS install issue after attempting to install SCS V32RC10 because my V31 install wasn't having any luck. Afterwards, I was able to correctly install v31, so it may give you a hint at where the issue is.
    @jessejmc: The copied one works fine. I've re-run ModMerge a few times, but that didn't seem to impact anything. Right now, I've got a functioning SCS install by the last method I mentioned, with the side effect that I've got some incorrect strings due to re-installing certain parts of SCS.
    Other options: back up stable SCS installs to external hard-drive/another computer/memory storage (smartphone, memory stick, even...CD/DVD?), the more backups the safer; remove everything from your PC, reinstall from scratch; copy stable installs back to the PC.

Or: if you have access to a second computer run your fresh installation there; copy files to your usual PC.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've also had troubles with getting clean installs on Steam. It always resets everything in whatever game back to whatever it was before I uninstalled. I suspect that it pulls something from my Windows registry that gets rewritten with this, that, or the other mod. I had an issue with my Sacred 2 install where I wanted to get rid of the Community Patch for that because it messed up my mouse controls, but the change it made to my controls remained even after the uninstall/reinstall. I've had other cases where similar problems with apparently permanent changes to my games that I can't figure out how to get rid of have come up.
    semiticgoddess
    Are most people using SCS v31 for now? I'd like to try v32, so may wait on that one being ready. My install will likely include a few new untried mods like MES Tweaks AI adjustments & The Calling as it's laborious for me to do a new install for Android and I'm a fool for new shiny things :).
    edited March 2019
    Are most people using SCS v31 for now? I'd like to try v32, so may wait on that one being ready.

I'm using v31. Based on their configs, @semiticgod is also using v31, while @Grond0 is using v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility.

I've installed v32RC10 as well and have created a character but haven't played it. I thought about proposing it, but it changes the difficulty naming. It looks like Basic is Core with AI enhancement and Improved is more similar to the configs I've seen people post.

My assumptions is that v32RC10 is pretty stable, as it looks like v31 only had three release candidates.
    Mantis37
    The EET install fails due to download issues. I guess I need to install manually then. Sigh. Welcome to the 21St century where convenience made me too lazy to go to a website.