Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Colden let's Nareth have first dibs, thinking the angry captain might be able to put some fear into the orc. Though he doubt it, the orc looks bloodthirsty and out of his mind and probably would rather die. This grunt have probably little info to spare, but perhaps at least we can drag out some info on where the main army is and where they are heading.

Colden stands silently a little behind Nareth, just peering at the orc, trying to use his perception to see any weaknesses in the orc's behaviour he can use as leverage. Colden makes sure he looks as perfect as he can, absentmindedly he straightens up, fixes his belt, put his axe back in the holster, adjusts his hat so it's just slightly tipped to the left giving him a flair of wit and guile and combs his beard with his hand in a quick stroke. An interrogation is no different from an audience, it never harms to look dashing and Colden surely does, according to himself as always.
    I know we don't do proper rolls, so I'll just drop this here @mashedtaters and let you choose whether or not Colden sees anything he can use in the interrogation.
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    By the way, @mashedtaters how did you speech go?
    " Answer now, fiend! ", Nareth shakes the orc grunt threatening with his dagger. Captain tried to look aggressive, but however, torturing and killing prisoners of war was totally not his habit. He hoped, the orc won't notice the truth about his character.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited August 2019
    The orc, his eyes rolling around in his head madly, seems unafraid of Nareth. Colden doesn’t seem to need his amazing deductive powers because the young orc is surprisingly talkative.

“We stumbled upon you, but Dyzrim guides our path. By his orders, we are to kill any Astorwind scouts we find.

“My brothers will crush your men and eat your children,” he gasps in his dying breath. “Your women will become our playthings. Dyzrim commands us... he is unstoppable. Winter will not pass Her judgement before you fall to our hunger... the time for our vengeance has finally come... your King... your King will perish to the vengeance of Dyzrim... how he has longed for the blood of your King...”

Then the orc dies in Nareth’s hands.

What do you do?
    I think my speech went well, thank you for asking.
    Unfortunately, I don’t think it made a difference to the bureaucracy. I definitely had their attention and they were very much engaged in what I had to say. But my speech is not a factor in their decision, I believe it was just them going through the motions.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Well, I'm fairly certain we already knew they wanted us dead."
    Nareth releases the orc's corpse so it softly falls on the ground. He rises up:

" I was just about to offer this orc our cleric's healing in exchange for information. Not gonna happen. "
    Nareth gratefully nods to Lagrord. If not this lad he would be dead meat already. The captain never forget such things. He checks the rest of their squad with his sight. It looks like they were lucky to manage this attack without losses. They should set guards for the future, there's a plenty of orc riders lurking around.
    Seeing the orc hit the ground unmoving is when it sunk in for Lagrord that he had just ended a life.

*Lagrord is distracted by the sight of another being that he killed, and does not notice Nareth's gesture. He stands there for some time silent adn unmoving*
    Colden sees Laggie's struggles and walks up and offers a sympathetic hand on his arm. "Laggie, you did good. We fight for the good of all of Astorwind and this fight cannot be won without shedding blood. We have to have our eyes on the horizon, moving towards our goals and not linger in thought on the actions in the past. Brush aside any shame, guilt or sadness you have and rejoice over the fact Nareth is alive, breathing and... well, being a bit grumpy as always probably. " Colden tries to disarm the situation with a joke.

Cole never really get a backlash after the adrenaline wears off. He takes note of this in his usual, objective and reflecting manner. Usually this is applied to what he sees, hears or reads, but he takes this time to also reflect inwards. For science. Apparently the gruesome realities of war, of blood and death, can be somewhat negated by rational thoughts, intellectual training and preparation. "Interesting" he thinks to himself and takes a mental note to keep this in mind for the future. "He takes no part in training of cadets, but perhaps what I experience now can also be taught to the young recruits? I should speak to Nareth some day."

"So.. not sure we will get any more sleep. Let's pack up and continue our trek, we can take a shorter one today and camp earlier instead. Nareth, what is your thoughts and recommendations?"

Colden realized he just took a decision without pushing up Nareth first. Old habits, it seems. He have to be more careful..
    *Lagrord looks at Cram with an indescribably look in his eyes*

"That's what worries me Cram. I've just killed a thinking being, but I don't feel any shame or sadness. But shouldn't I? Isn't that what's supposed to make me different from them?"

*Lagrord looks down at the dead Orc as if it was completely alien to him*
    Jirt and Kefto break camp early as you all dress in your adventuring gear. You feel more confident now that you have some armor this time.

Garta, very impressed with Lagrord, doesn't say much, but blushes furiously when he helps her in support. She is clearly convinced of his battle prowess.

You leave in the pre-dawn light before the sun rises over the eastern mountains. Before long, you see increased activity of orc patrols.

"The pass is only a day away," explains Garta as she nods at the trampling footprints of hundreds, if not thousands, of orcs across the lowlands. "We will be there late tonight or early tomorrow if things go well for us. I assume that the pass is inhabited by some of the orcish army as a rearguard. As my father told me, the main bulk of the army is already in Astorwind lands, which is on the other side of these mountains, through the pass.

"We should develop a strategy of approach. We can either go over the mountains or through the pass. I know of no other way. The mountains are easier to traverse here, but I trust that my leg is healed enough to handle this journey. I had originally planned on cutting through the mountains once we got near to the pass."

Just then, Jirt, who had been keeping watch, shouts out: "Enemy in the rear!"

You see behind you a large group of men in the distance. They are flying the flag of the Bloodeye Clan. They are marching hard. You can't make out many details from this distance.

"At their current rate," says Jirt, "they will reach our spot within a half hour. They are moving quickly for such a large group."

What do you do?
    Colden looks back and contemplates. He speaks to the group once he has gathered his thoughts: "It seems odd that these Bloodeye clansmen would break their sanctuary just to hunt down and attack this little group. What if these are the tribes who wanted to join our battle, those who voted in out favor? It would then be a waste to let this opportunity to fill up the ranks of the Astorwind army with more fighting men. What do you think, my friends?"

"I can stay in the open, with Eff'gee, and meet them head on while the rest of you hide. I will ask for their purpose and if it's hostility they want, Eff'gee can carry my out of there quickly."

"Eff'gee" Colden now address the golem directly. He knows the golem is like a scared child and this is a major risk, but he have to try. "Will you do this for me? If I sit on your shoulders and if things look sour, can you run us away from the men without cowering in fear? They can't hurt you, you know, and with me there to guide you we'll be perfectly safe if an.. argument starts." Well, the last part is a lie. Cole obviously have no idea if the golem would be safe from mundane weapons, but it's war and sometimes you have to take a risk for the chance of victory.
    FG-11 looks at Colden and puts on his happy face.

"I could do that," he says confidently. "Especially if they can't hurt me."

"This is crazy!" spits Jirt. "This imbecile here fell apart at the first sign of a loud noise this morning, and now you want to entrust him with your life?"

"I also believe this is an unwise tactic," says Garta fiercely. "He doesn't even have a scratch on him from that arrow this morning, yet he cowered like a baby. This thing is not reliable."

FG-11's happy face is immediately erased by his sad and fearful faces alternating at each argument.

"I would trust him," says Kefto, placing a comforting arm on FG-11's cold, hard elbow. Whether or not he is sincere is unknown, however FG-11 looks at him with his happy face.
    "Garta, what's your opinion on these incoming Bloodeyes? You may have valuable insight on their intentions."
    edited August 2019
    Garta responds to Colden.

"Even if they are friendly, I doubt you would consent to their help," she says. "Their ways are not the ways of Astorwind.

"No, listen to me. I saw how you all reacted to the sacred sacrifices to the spirits. This is a integral part of life among my people. They will offer the lives of their own to the spirits before battle, and likely as a means of sealing any alliance between us. You were all uncomfortable with this, I saw it. While some of my ideas have been challenged since... since our journey through Coras Ugar--I mean, through Cora's Sugar Manufacturing..." You can tell it gives her great pain to even mention this out loud. She even looks around fearfully, as though the spirits she worships will crush her for speaking out in blasphemy.

"Know that these will not give up their traditions at your behest," she says after a moment. "The blood of man is precious to the spirits. It feeds the strength of the blade, and tightens the muscles against injury.

"Or... so is believed..." she adds awkwardly. Then she mumbles to herself: "Now I cannot understand why King Corak believed any help from the barbarians would be wise. I have lived among you for many years now and I am still foreign..."
    edited August 2019
    Nareth listens to Garta silent for a while. Then he responds:

" Ya might be right... Garta. ", he calls their scout by her name for the first time.
    " We could traverse the mountains if our scout can. But with these folks on our tail, I don't even know - we have to deal with this somehow first. M'Lord Colden, if I may... it might be dangerous to go alone.. Alright, with this Efgee. ", he throws a quick look at FG-11 and continues, " No offense, matey! As he... it can't really defend ya! These barbarians might be foe or might be ally. And maybe I could convince them, say, with this former Refiner's revelation of meself ? "

"You both speak true. Very well, I'll let you Nareth decide whether or not we should intercept them and take the dialogue or quickly be on our way and try to escape them.. and the orcs."

Colden sighs from relief on the inside. He didn't show it, but he was horrified by standing there alone in front of this barbaric horde with only a little metal kitten for protection. His proposal had ended just as intended though, Nareth rising to the occasion and showing his leadership in the eyes of the others. The pieces of the puzzle starting to fall in place one by one, he'll be a great commander when I'm done with him, whether he understands it himself or not. And then I can go back to my study and sit in silence and read, sip some mead and be content again. Aaah.. how I long for my comfy chair, my slippers and my tomes!

Colden snaps out of his chain of thoughts, must regain focus on the task at hand!
    edited August 2019
    "They're probably hostile!" says Jirt. "They're tracking us, clear as day, look! That's where we stopped to get our bearings just a while ago. Why would they track us if they didn't want to attack us?"

Garta shakes her head. "I don't believe that is their motive," she says. "While I believe it is possible for Chieftain Aros to be bitter enough to want to murder us after we humiliated him in front of the tribe, he would have sent a few of his trusted assassins. He would not have been able to convince so many to break their oaths at Warne Harsard-Wast to allow us passage as friends. While the protection offered isn't indefinite, they would face the wrath of the spirits for retaliating against us for anything that happened there. If Chieftain Aros tried to publicly send so many people after us, he would have been unable to argue that it was not out of retaliation.

"No, I believe these could be friendly. Or at least, they are not concerned with us and are heading for the pass to make war against the orcs there. Perhaps your words were heeded?" she says to Colden and Nareth.
    edited August 2019
    What do you decide to do? Do you meet the barbarians or try to avoid them?
    It's time for Nareth (@ashafetov) to rise to the challenge! :D
    edited August 2019
    Nareth jumps in with a suggestion:

" This is a nice point, Jirt, but me thinks she is right. These barbarians are fierce but not stupid. Even this bloody chieftain would not rush with his army just to have our little party killed. I might be wrong, M'Lord Colden, but I think we need to resolve this question somehow. Who knows, maybe we can convince these barbarians to join our cause? Maybe these are even Dizrym renegades? I think we can parley with them, I would rather not have orcs in front of us and angry barbarians behind... ", he rubbed his beard thoughtfully.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    edited August 2019
    Before the rest of you can leave Nareth alone to face the barbarians, they come upon you more quickly than expected. Having made the decision to wait and greet the barbarians, you soon find that your choice was wise.

As the barbarians approach, you notice leading them is the Delegate of the West, his young face screwed up in concentration as he follows your tracks. One of his companions, an older man missing an eye, shouts out and points in your direction. The young leader looks up and a smile breaks on his face.

He approaches you in confidence but also in wonder. “Delegates of Astorwind!” he proclaims, approaching you and lifting his weapon, the ceremonial axe. You can’t see him being older than any of you, certainly not out of adolescence. Despite his boyish features, he bears many scars on his face and bare arms. Whether they are battle or self inflicted, you do not know.

“We come in peace!” he says. “The light of your sun spirit has spoken to our hearts and instructed us to follow you and aid you. We have come to aid your fellows in Astorwind in driving the orcs from our land.”

The older gentlemen with the missing eye nods at you. Eagerly, the young leader introduced the man. “This is my uncle, Harsfath. He is my wise and trusted advisor. And I am Kagnan.”

The man with the missing eye speaks. “If it pleases my gracious leader, the Delegate of the West, Kagnan, I would speak.” Kagnan nods.

“I’m afraid we must make haste. Chieftain Aros surely knows of our abandonment of the rest of the tribe. We whisked away in the night like thieves, but...”

...but we are not cowards!” screams Kagnan, his boyish voice breaking an octave, lifting his axe. Despite that, the men, and women and children you notice, of his clan join him in a shout of triumph and approval.

“Yes, we are not,” says Harsfath calmly. “But we do not know if they have taken up pursuit of us to perchance overtake us before we reach you. I suggest, in all humility, that we allow our quarry to speak and see if they still welcome or even seek our help.”

Kagnan looks at Nareth in awe. “Tell me, wise spokesman of the sun spirit... do you still seek our help? We are eager and willing to do our part in this fight. We hope for the blossoming of new relations between our peoples!”

Again the crowd screams in approval.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    edited August 2019
    Ops, apparently Mashed had time to post before me.

"Ay, I agree with Captain Nareth. Of course I would proudly have been the one to meet and greet with them, but I reluctantly agree to hide with the rest of the group while you take that role today, Nareth. "

"So, the rest of us, let's find a hiding place. Garta, maybe you can lead the way?"
    edited August 2019
    @Skatan We will just act like they came upon you more quickly than expected. The distance they had to travel was misjudged and their forward scouts came upon you before you could find a hiding spot. :) I’ll edit the post to reflect.
    edited August 2019
    Nareth casts a quick surprised look at Colden and turns to Kagnan and Harsfath with a respectful bow of dignity:

" The delegates of the West.. We are eager to welcome your gesture of goodwill and ...", Nareth adds after a short pause, "... Prudence! Refiner the Great, and we - the humble servants of Sun God - believed in your sanity to the end. We still need your help in the future battle and seek for allies. We welcome you, your folks and your choice, may it be blessed forever! ", the Captain repeated the greeting heard many times at the court of Astorwind. Of course, he adapted it a little for barbarian's ears.
    " This is it. Hopefully I did not spoiled the impression. I should have asked Jirt and Kefto to cover me arse from behind. And this woman, Garta. She is a damn good ranger, I have to admit! ", though Nareth vaguely.

" Now answer us... How many people do you have and how much time is left? Shall we give Aros the battle? "
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    Colden is a bit underwhelmed by Nareth's rather... modest introduction. He tries to quench his urge to rush in and bombard everyone with a volley of bombastic exaggerations.
    "Something going our way for once? This can' last."

*Lagrord has a wry smile*
    “Praise be!” cries Kagnan at Nareth’s acceptance. “Before anything else, we must seal our alliance with the greatest gift I can offer!”

Kagnannods to his uncle, Harsfath. With a contented smile, Harsfath nods. He steps forward and kneels in front of you, a dreamy look on his face as he raises his one eye to the sky.

“I, Delegate of the West, Unheeded Conscience of our Astorwind Foes, of the Rising Night, in gratitude of our newly formed alliance, offer to the spirits the blood of my only remaining kin, that our resolve may be as firm as our new partnership!”

Harsfath closes his eyes and sighs.

Kagnan lifts his ceremonial axe for the felling blow. You hear him whisper, “Goodbye, Uncle, my dearest friend... and thank you for everything... I shall miss you until we meet again in the lands of our fathers...”

Harsfath nods, his eye still closed, in acknowledgement. Both Kagnan and Harsfath have tears streaming their faces.

Do you try to stop their sacred human sacrifice? Or do you allow it to happen as a seal of your truce? Or do you do something else?

What do you do?
    *Lagrord is tired of sacrifices, he steps forward to stop it*
    Does Laggy succedd? Does anyone want to stop him?
    Naah, Colden is still NG and it though I gotta admit my knowledge about alignemnts are fuzzy, he's too Good to abide their Law in this case and want to save the old man somehow. But not at the expense of the greater good nor the team.

Colden steps up, holds up his arms in the air as a holy man and with a thunderous voice speaks up; "Stop! The Holy Refiner's Avatar on this Earth has spoken! Through NARETH, our shining beacon of Light and Hope - the Allmighty Vessel of The Holy God themselves has decided no more deaths to our own. Death is now reserverd ONLY for our joint enemies, the Orcs and their other foul companions. So sayeth the Wise and Everknowing Refinger, now kneel to His Judgement, his omnipresence and follow the lead of his sacred chosen Nareth on our quest!"

Colden can't help but cast a glance at Nareth as he says this, he's sure the old grunt will be very embarresed and he can't help to chuckle a little at the though, no matter the outcome.
    edited September 2019
    Nareth took one or another moment to realize what was happening. His eyes curved and his jaw dropped down. He did not experience the revelation of the Sun God at this moment, therefore the only thing he managed to do was to reach out his arms to prevent a blow of the Kagnan's battle axe. He delved towards the old man.

Colden's words sounded like music. Oh, how he was looking forward to this wonderful intervention to prevent the inevitable. The faith of the old soldier in virtue of the Lorekeeper's Word was truly borderless, especially considering the captain’s most ordinary mental abilities. He was amazed to the extreme degree, the words of Colden forced to obey and left no alternatives. They influenced the captain without exception.

" NO!.. You dare not, o Kagnan! ", this was the most complex phrase he could make up while trying to intervent the deadly hit together with Lagrord.