Skip to content

Sir Sarles, or the Mace of Disruption

12346»

Comments

• SixOfSpadesSixOfSpades Member Posts: 44
    Almost everyone is overlooking one key fact: Any character, even one roleplaying a LG Paladin or Priest of Helm to the full, should rightfully expect to be able to to both upgrade the Mace AND please Sir Sarles. As was pointed out well over a year ago, back on page 1 of this thread:
    jmerry wrote: »
    The real question here: the improved mace of disruption weighs 8 pounds, including its illithium coating. You gave 200 pounds of pure illithium to Cromwell for that. What did he do with the rest of it?

Realistically, Cromwell could have used maybe 0.5% of the ore to apply a thin coating to the weapon--maybe double that, if he messed up the first time & had to try again. Heck, let's throw in the improved Azuredge from the Item Upgrade mod & apply some illithium to that as well, and let's even suppose that Cromwell even keeps a couple pounds for himself, for use with future projects/clients. That brings the lowest possible reasonable total down to 195 pounds of pure illithium.

So, really, the only ethical question is whether or not it is moral to say, "Hello again, Sir Sarles, it's [CHARNAME] with the illithium you wanted. I'm afraid this amount weighs only 195 pounds, not the full 200 that you asked for . . . might it still suffice, sir?"
    And if Sarles isn't satisfied with that slightly-reduced weight, you might still be able to split the difference with the couple of pounds that Jerlia has on hand (which is what she makes the alloy with).

I contend that it is neither Evil nor Chaotic to ask a high-strung, temperamental nitwit to make the slightest concession to the fact that the city is overrun with vampires.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Skitia "or being upfront that this is not quite the ore, but is as close as they could get."

That's how I do it.

@SixOfSpades Exactly!
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Almost everyone is overlooking one key fact: Any character, even one roleplaying a LG Paladin or Priest of Helm to the full, should rightfully expect to be able to to both upgrade the Mace AND please Sir Sarles. As was pointed out well over a year ago, back on page 1 of this thread:
    jmerry wrote: »
    The real question here: the improved mace of disruption weighs 8 pounds, including its illithium coating. You gave 200 pounds of pure illithium to Cromwell for that. What did he do with the rest of it?

Realistically, Cromwell could have used maybe 0.5% of the ore to apply a thin coating to the weapon--maybe double that, if he messed up the first time & had to try again. Heck, let's throw in the improved Azuredge from the Item Upgrade mod & apply some illithium to that as well, and let's even suppose that Cromwell even keeps a couple pounds for himself, for use with future projects/clients. That brings the lowest possible reasonable total down to 195 pounds of pure illithium.

So, really, the only ethical question is whether or not it is moral to say, "Hello again, Sir Sarles, it's [CHARNAME] with the illithium you wanted. I'm afraid this amount weighs only 195 pounds, not the full 200 that you asked for . . . might it still suffice, sir?"
    And if Sarles isn't satisfied with that slightly-reduced weight, you might still be able to split the difference with the couple of pounds that Jerlia has on hand (which is what she makes the alloy with).

I contend that it is neither Evil nor Chaotic to ask a high-strung, temperamental nitwit to make the slightest concession to the fact that the city is overrun with vampires.

This would make for an excellent mini-mod/tweak...