Skip to content

New version of Sword Coast Stratagems (v32) available

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    On SCSv32 install (EET+Ascension+IWD spells from SCS);

Tamoko has Finger of Death...umm..I can understand level 6 spells, but FoD in BG1 is quite drastic. Fisrt time I've seen this.

6kia39vir61c.png

Ditto Liaa. She seems to be a very high-level mage.

Imp.Mantle

9scxo0cmbnek.png

Even better, she casts Bigby's at friendly targets:

w7ykjoyy423r.png

Also, Fiershield red and blue now behave differently. Red seems to have a power level (feedback damage is blocked by Pro Magic scroll in any case, "spell ineffective" message is displayed in feedback window) while Blue version works like vanilla (hurts even under Pro Magic scroll).
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Aasim wrote: »

Tamoko has Finger of Death...umm..I can understand level 6 spells, but FoD in BG1 is quite drastic. Fisrt time I've seen this.

6kia39vir61c.png

Well, Tamoko fights the party by herself at a time when the party is really powerful, so she needs to be quite tough to pose any threat at all.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @OlvynChuru But the whole point of the Tamoko fight is that she ISN'T a threat. She makes it very clear that Sarevok ordered her to fight you alone not to slow you down or kill you, but as HER execution.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Also, Fiershield red and blue now behave differently. Red seems to have a power level (feedback damage is blocked by Pro Magic scroll in any case, "spell ineffective" message is displayed in feedback window) while Blue version works like vanilla (hurts even under Pro Magic scroll).
    I don't believe SCS changes anything here. Right back in vanilla BG2, the 'blue' and 'red' fire shields have different power values, so they probably behave differently under various spell protections. That was imported unchanged into the EE.

… but I'll fix it anyway.

DavidW wrote: »
    Tamoko is 10th level in vanilla BG1 and gets adjusted to 14th level as part of 'improved minor encounters'. That's been the case pretty much since SCS1 was released, but I have some time for the view that thematically it's too-high level. Other views welcomed.

I don't think I've ever seen her casting a 7th level spell tbh; and first version of SCS I played was v7 Ithink.
    Tamoko is 10th level in vanilla BG1 and gets adjusted to 14th level as part of 'improved minor encounters'. That's been the case pretty much since SCS1 was released, but I have some time for the view that thematically it's too-high level. Other views welcomed.

I don't think I've ever seen her casting a 7th level spell tbh; and first version of SCS I played was v7 Ithink.

I've lost track of when the BG1 and BG2 spellcaster code got completely merged. It might have been quite recently, in which case you wouldn't have seen >L6 spells in BG1.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I for one look forward to Liia at long last being able to clean house with Sarevok's mooks while Belt slams Sarevok's head into a door ;).
    One more bug, albeit this I witnessed in older version of SCS as well - in Durlag's Tower - Fear, Pride Love battle - Fear becomes unkillable for some reason.
    Also, he gets immunity to +x weapon which dissapears after a while. But he won't die; his minHP item doesn't go away.
    I’ll have a look. Any idea what triggers the bug?
    Best bet - he's got troll items. I do remember on previous versions I used wand of Fire on him somethimes; but on EET install even CTRL-y didn't work. Maybe some interraction with new SCS troll component?

I installed Improved Durlag on clean BG1 w/o troll tweaks.

Oddly enough; 1st attempt:

egmqy4u2u9dw.png

He still becomes damage immune, but I can ctrl-y him; which was impossible on EET.

2nd attempt: he dies just as he should.

Oh, I think I see why. Fear is technically coded in the game as a revenant. Revenants, like trolls, also sometimes have that thing where they fall down and you have to use fire to kill them.
    Some more bugs:
    - druids (with shapeshitft component) get equipable claws. Apperantly one can dual-wield them for double the bonuses (kinda legit, but I don't know if it's intended).
    I've tried this with a shapshifter druid. Also, if you equip a paw in off-hand, you can cast spells looking like a werewolf.
    - with SR, druids are banned from using Armor of Faith, with SCS they use it in prebuff sequence - same for Chaotic Commands. They do get Free Action, so can use that instead
    - Daveorn doesn't drop Stoneskin scroll
    Some more bugs:
    - druids (with shapeshitft component) get equipable claws. Apperantly one can dual-wield them for double the bonuses (kinda legit, but I don't know if it's intended).
    I've tried this with a shapshifter druid. Also, if you equip a paw in off-hand, you can cast spells looking like a werewolf.
    Not intended. Making the token two-handed is probably the simplest way to block it.
    - with SR, druids are banned from using Armor of Faith, with SCS they use it in prebuff sequence - same for Chaotic Commands. They do get Free Action, so can use that instead
    Fixed locally.
    - Daveorn doesn't drop Stoneskin scroll
    This isn't a bug - I replaced the previous handing-out-scrolls code with something a lot more systematic. That said, maybe Davaeorn having Stoneskin is iconic by now? If so I can easily restore it.
    Don't look for subtle explanations of 'Fear'. Some ancient SCS code, presumably written when I was feeling lazy (and/or before a lot of modern tools were available) gives Fear regeneration just by giving him 'trollreg', rather than by applying an effect. The way 'trollreg' is implemented in EE (especially if the SCS troll-regeneration component is installed) then screws up Fear.

Fixed locally; thanks for the report.
    I replaced the previous handing-out-scrolls code with something a lot more systematic. That said, maybe Davaeorn having Stoneskin is iconic by now? If so I can easily restore it.

It's convinient I guess.

Also, sorcerers and dargon disciples get sequencer innates a level too quick, given how they gain spell levels. i.e at level 7 sorcerer can't cast 4th level spells; but gets a minor sequencer innate. Again, can't say if this is a bug.
    Noted: not a bug exactly, but you’re right that it would make more sense your way.
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    Ahem :/ Sorry to be a bother... but I'm stumped on trying to install SCS component #4100 'Improved NPC customisation and management', and for some reason it's choking on processing 'OHHFAK.bcs', but I cannot seem to understand why :cry:

I cannot seem to find any traces left of the actual source file that produces the error after the installer bails out.

Here's the relevant error dump from inside Setup-Stratagems.DEBUG:
    Applying patches to script(s) OHHFAK
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    [./override/OHHFAK.bcs] loaded, 20216 bytes
    [./override/ACTION.IDS] loaded, 16619 bytes
    [./override/OBJECT.IDS] loaded, 2452 bytes
    [./override/STATE.IDS] loaded, 1277 bytes
    [./override/GTIMES.IDS] loaded, 1884 bytes

[OHHFAK.bcs.BAF] PARSE ERROR at line 147 column 1-27
    Near Text: OHHFAK
    	syntax error

[OHHFAK.bcs.BAF]  ERROR at line 147 column 1-27
    Near Text: OHHFAK
    	Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [OHHFAK.bcs.BAF]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: [OHHFAK.bcs] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Parsing.Parse_error)

I'll try to attach all info that could be needed to find the problem... and I'm well aware that the issue could be coming from a different mod in my install. In fact, here's the changelog report too:
    C:\Games\~Baldurs Gate Home~\(Root)\EET\Install\Steam EET 2.5>weidu.exe --change-log OHHFAK.bcs
    [weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24600
    [.\CHITIN.KEY] 281 BIFFs, 82165 resources
    [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] 323220 string entries
    [EET/lang/en_US/prompts.tra] has 56 translation strings
    [EET/lang/en_US/setup.tra] has 18 translation strings
    [EET/lang/en_US/chapters.tra] has 95 translation strings
    [EET/lang/en_US/dialog.tra] has 37 translation strings
    [EET/lang/en_US/2da.tra] has 55 translation strings
    [EET/lang/en_US/compatibility.tra] has 11 translation strings
    [AllThingsMazzy/translations/english/setup-AllThingsMazzy.tra] has 6 translation strings
    [EET_Tweaks/lang/en_US/prompts.tra] has 56 translation strings
    [EET_Tweaks/lang/en_US/setup.tra] has 92 translation strings

Mods affecting OHHFAK.BCS:
    00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~EET/EET.TP2~ 0 0 // EET core (resource importation)1.0 RC12
    00001:  ~ALLTHINGSMAZZY/SETUP-ALLTHINGSMAZZY.TP2~ 0 0 // All Things MazzyVersion 1.039
    00002:  ~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 4020 // Higher framerates support1.8

I opened that particular file in Near Infinity and as far as I can see there's nothing wrong in it... which is what has me confused :/

Anyways, I hope is not something very dumb I'm doing and I'm not seeing :blush:

Hope I'm not being too dumb :) And sorry in advance if it's something I'm doing wrong myself.

I know/guess that ultimately it could be probably something related to the mod All Things Mazzy, but I can't tell what's wrong, and I was hoping to find out why it's failing and then I can properly report to the mod's thread if that's the case!
    Thanks, can reproduce. I used an older SCS function that doesn't like scripts that refer to creatures with spaces in their death variables.

Will fix; in the meantime, if you want to work around then:

(1) Open OHHFAK.bcs in Near Infinity and replace 'Renal Bloodscalp' with 'RenalBloodscalp', i.e. remove the space.
    (2) Install the SCS component.
    (3) Open OHHFAK.bcs again and replace 'RenalBloodscalp' with 'Renal Bloodscalp', i.e. restore the space.
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    Gotcha! Will do! Thanks for looking into it!

I'm in the middle of a HD swap atm... it'll probably take me a while to get everything back in order again, but as soon as I'm done with that, I'll try the swap trick and report back :)

Thanks again!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2019
    @DavidW Any chance to create a Gnoll Stronghold component a la Ust Natha (of course, scaled down to fit BGEE's power level)?

Storming an enemy fortress shouldn't be that easy.
    edited June 2019
    Raduziel wrote: »
    @DavidW Any chance to create a Gnoll Stronghold component a la Ust Natha (of course, scaled down to fit BGEE's power level)?

That sounds realistic, but just to be fair, there is a good chance the players will be coming there at really low level, possibly without even having a mage with access to spells like Sleep. It would be extremely punishing and not very fun.
    edited June 2019
    OlvynChuru wrote: »

That sounds realistic, but just to be fair, there is a good chance the players will be coming there at really low level, possibly without even having a mage with access to spells like Sleep. It would be extremely punishing and not very fun.

That's why it should be an optional component just like Ust Natha.
    There are some oddities with how AI detects items. None of the items that grant immunites (i.e. Lirarcor) have any additional "detectable" effects on them. Sirens in BG1 readilly waste their charms on a character wielding a charm-resistant item. Has something changed in the way AI is supposed to detect such items? (previously they had like DW_ITEM_CHARM or something sticked onto them, this is gone). This is on IR/SR/EET/SCS install; insane difficulty level.
    Also, on EET install, apperantly you get slayer transformation ability before going to spellhold (may be due to chapter assigning).
    Other than that, SCS v32 is really good. Much different from previous versions; I like it.
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 48
    There are some oddities with how AI detects items. None of the items that grant immunites (i.e. Lirarcor) have any additional "detectable" effects on them. Sirens in BG1 readilly waste their charms on a character wielding a charm-resistant item. Has something changed in the way AI is supposed to detect such items? (previously they had like DW_ITEM_CHARM or something sticked onto them, this is gone). This is on IR/SR/EET/SCS install; insane difficulty level.
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/29870-scs-v32-and-spell-targetting/
    2) One dilemma in previous versions was how to handle magic items that provide protection (e.g., should you cast Domination on someone wearing a Helm of Charm Protection?) Previously, I've erred on the side of detecting these items, on the grounds that while it's a bit unrealistic for a mage to immediately see your items, it's not that obvious, whereas if a mage repeatedly targets someone who's obviously immune to an effect, it breaks immersion.

V32 takes advantage of new scripting options to do something more sophisticated: the *first time* that a spell type is cast, the caster will fail to notice the protective item, but subsequently it is noticed. (So a mage might cast Domination on the protected creature, but won't then try a Dire Charm on the same opponent).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

There's a pretty big difference between the two though. Ust Natha is towards the endgame, no matter what, you are a certain power level before getting to it. The Gnoll Stronghold can be accessed at pretty much anytime.
    edited June 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »

There's a pretty big difference between the two though. Ust Natha is towards the endgame, no matter what, you are a certain power level before getting to it. The Gnoll Stronghold can be accessed at pretty much anytime.

That's why I said scaled down to fit BGEE's power level...

And as an optional component of a difficulty-enhancer mod I don't see why having a tough nut to crack would be such an issue.

Retreat to lick your wounds and reevaluate is something that SCS makes me do a lot, this would be just another area making me scratch my head instead of clicking on something and Alt+Tab to YouTube.