Skip to content

[Kit Mod] The Artisan's Kitpack

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2020
    And naturally, with a new component comes a few bugs caused by my oversight. The blackguard's life drain will no longer affect non-living creatures, as intended. Aura of Despair's morale reduction has also been altered... though I can't really explain the mechanics behind it too well. Simply put, morale break doesn't work the way I thought it did. (Edit: Let me put it this way: Yxunomei probably should not be in permanent morale failure) Enemies fleeing on sight... probably won't happen much until very high levels anymore, but morale failure will more consistently happen when enemies are near death.

Poison Weapon's also got some bugfixes - it was very, very buggy. The 'poison reset on failed save never actually worked' kind of buggy.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    I don't know, thematic though these changes might be, it seems a bit much.
    -Change in absorb health seems fine, but do the extra uses stack?
    -Aura is definitely more thematic being always on, but seems rather overpowered. It basically becomes an always on greater malison and armor of faith.
    -I'm not sure this class needs backstab. Yes its playing dirty, but you've already added a thaco and damage boosting ability. Also the drawback of not having innate acces to stealth is not that much of a drawback. Invisibility potions, items, and spells are available, and you give the ability to cast invisibility themselves starting from level 11, eliminating this drawback altogether.
    -Speaking of the spells, you add more life draining spells, on top of the changed life drain with additional uses. Seems a bit redundant. Also blindness doesn't strike me as very blackguard-like, maybe horror would be more fitting (though with the additional saving throw reductions that might get a bit overpowered too)?
    -Fiendish Reckoning seems fine. Bit of a gamble sometimes if you really need it, but fitting.

Overall it seems like a steep power increase, moving it way out of the league of other paladin classes. And if I compare it to another of the classes in your kitpack that has some of the same tools, the dark hunter, it just blows it out of the water.
    -Both have poison, both have backstab, both have fighter thaco.
    -The hunter has stealth, two weapon fighting from the start, and traps. It loses spellcasting and can't use armor above studded leather.
    -The blackguard can't stealth innately, but gets invisibility from spells so it can eventually stealth in combat easier than the hunter. It can use heavy armor, can cast spells (and gets a wider selection), has two powerful innate abilities. Only useful thing it loses is protection from evil, other than that there are no drawbacks.

I've never played a backstabber or trap setting class before, I was actually planning on doing a playthrough next with the Dark Hunter. But unless I am seriously underestimating traps, which I know can be cheesed, the two classes don't even come close. Now I know this is a single player game so class balance doesn't really matter, and it's a mod so I don't have to use it, but still wanted to chip in. I do enjoy your mods btw, the above is meant as positive criticism, hope that comes across.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    If I install this mod can I choose which component to install? I'm only interested in Minsc new kit.
  • Thresh01Thresh01 Member Posts: 7
    The blackguard permanent aura is a much better implementation than standard, but it's pretty overpowered in the current form. It makes massed enemies flee in terror much of the time and then you have the other bonuses which were the real reason I looked forward to using it. My vote would be to remove the damage reduction so it isn't also acting as a party wide armor of faith.
  • zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    eet support ? I tried an install and some components like giving Imoen the rogue archer kit don't work (it installs well, but it doesn't work). I didn't dare to install it in bg1 and try to install eet after that, just an installation after eet...
    Updated to 1.92.
    Rebalanced Dark Hunter, Blackguard and Divine Champion

The Dark Hunter didn't have enough to distinguish it from the fighter/thief in my opinion. It now gains a +3 to hit/damage vs. all humanoids as an inherent 'racial enemy' of sorts. Try using it in combination with Human as a racial enemy (from my expanded racial enemies mod from House Tweaks) for a very strong character in early BG1. I may tone it down to +2/+1 in the future.

Blackguard's Aura of Despair progression is slower, now upgrading at levels 10, 17 and 24. Its backstab now also caps at x3 instead of x4. Additionally, it gains its spells from the start, to account for the different spell table in IWD.

Divine Champion may now be of all alignments and will never fall. Smite Evil is replaced with Smite Infidel, which deals 1d4 magic damage per 2 levels to any target of a different moral alignment (good, neutral, evil) to the user.
  • contramundicontramundi Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been reported already but I've found an interesting problem with the reworked Dragon Disciple sorcerer. With this mod installed, any time I either import or export a Dragon Disciple character file, the character's strength and intelligence both increase by one.

• MrBaquanMrBaquan Member Posts: 42
    I'm installing this right now and a component is "Evermemory fix."

I can't find anywhere what this is actually fixing. So, what is this going to do?
    @MrBaquan

I did not implement the ‘fix’ as it was made during an unusual time when the Pale Master stand-alone was being maintained by another modder, but I remember it well. The Pale Master’s -1 spell cast per level does not play well with doubling spell slots and would cause your level 1 spell casts to fluctuate inconsistently. The ‘solution’ was to change the way Evermemory worked, to +4 spell slots, which nerfed it pretty hard in the process. I’m not a fan of it, but I kept it in.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Sikorsky wrote: »
    If I install this mod can I choose which component to install? I'm only interested in Minsc new kit.

@AionZ Can I get the answer?
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93

@AionZ Can I get the answer?
    The answer is yes.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    edited May 2020
    Are the kits with the same name as the Bioware/Beamdog kits duplicates, or reworks that replace the originals?

I also noticed an Adventurer folder in the GitHub folder. Is this used or applied to any of the NPCs/PC or is it just a leftover bit of code?

Thirdly, does anyone have experience with any of these kits and the HLAs from Refinements? I am wondering if these kits get their own HLAs, or if they just use the default ones (and therefore probably will end up using Refinements if Refinements is installed after).

• AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 57
    Hi, I absolutely love your mods. One thing, however - what's that with Assassin and Blackguard poison duration? Readme says it's 8h, but it looks more like 5 rounds.

Which is odd, because I remember it lasting 8h on my Assassin the other day - I just reinstalled the mod to get the new Blackguard, and - poof, it's all messed up.

If it changes anything, I have also installed Darkside of the Sword Coast for the first time ever... could this have caused this?
    edited July 2020
    I've been doing some testing with this mod and while it appears to have installed fine there is an undocumented change that makes it so human characters can select multiclass classes at character creation.

It is the arcane archer/mage multiclass subcomponent that does this. I'm not sure if this breaks any other mods, but it doesn't seem to be working as intended.
    Post edited by Caedwyr on
    edited July 2020
    Another issue. The Pale Master Sorcerer kit installs just fine with either option (Everymemory fix), but does not appear during character creation. @AionZ .
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Another issue. The Pale Master Sorcerer kit installs just fine with either option (Everymemory fix), but does not appear during character creation. @AionZ .
    I'll fix this. The Pale Master build is very, very old and the coding doesn't take EET into account as a result.
    Cool! Thanks for the quick response.
  • Eltharion1979Eltharion1979 Member Posts: 92
    Hello, this is one of my favorite mods for kits. I really enjoy playing with my hivemaster druid, but I have one issue. When ever I load my saved game, web and spider spawn spell are not available for casting. I have to rest, sleep again to memorize them, every time. Any clue why this happen?
    Thank you in advance.
    @Eltharion1979

Cannot reproduce. Something like this does happen during a 'kit reset' (e.g. when an NPC is kicked out and rejoins, resetting their abilities) but it doesn't normally happen in a save-reload.
  • Eltharion1979Eltharion1979 Member Posts: 92
    Hello again, problem solved, I started a new game and reinstalled the mod and now no problem.
    Thank you for your quick response. Take care.
    edited July 2020
    Other random things. @AionZ

1. Berserker from the artisan's kitpack.

In game kit description is the basic Berserker kit description and not the Artisan Kitpack version, however the abilities are given out at appropriate levels. Kit description during character creation is correct.

2. Kensai from the artisan's kitpack
    • In game description is the basic Kensai kit description and not the Artisan's Kitpack version, however the abilities are given out at appropriate levels. Kit description during character creation is correct.
    • I believe there are undocumented HLAs: Improved Ki Critical, Devastating Critical, Overwhelming Critical, Second Wind. I and probably others would appreciate including these in the readme since it helps the user identify possible compatibility issues.
    • Improved Ki Critical requires Power attack, but the description doesn't list the prerequisite
    • Second Wind requires Overwhelming Critical but doesn't list the prerequisite.
    • Devastating Critical requires Second Wind, but doesn't list the prerequisite.
    • Smite Requires Improved Ki Critical, but lists Critical Strike in the prerequisite.
    • A cool thing is that the Refinements HLA stack with the Artisan Kitpack HLAs so you also get True Kai as well if you install Refinements after Artisan's Kitpack. I like this! :)
    • Improved Critical is not able to be selected, but shows up on the list. It requires Critical Strike which is no longer part of the HLA list (it appears Improved Ki Critical replaces this). This appears to be an interaction between Artisan's Kitpack and Refinements. I'd love it if Refinements accounted for this if it was installed (ideally by allowing Improved ki Critical to act as a prerequisite, or removing Improved Critical from the list). I posted about this over on the gibberlings3 forums for Subtledoctor in case he wants to make a change. Otherwise, it's just a general compatibility comment.

3. Dragon Disciple from the Artisan's Kitpack
    • In game description is the base game description and not the Artisan's Kitpack description. The correct description is shown during character creation.
    • The level 15 stat bonus to constitution shows up in green in the character record window, like a bonus from an item and not an innate state increase.
    • It appears that the revised kit and Refinements overlap, giving the Dragon Disciple all the base sorcerer HLAs as well as all the Refinements sorcerer HLAs. A cleaner approach would be to give the kit its own set of HLAs, but it appears as though some changes might need to be made to Refinements since this kit shares a name with a base game kit.
    ​More stuff

1. Dark Hunter Ranger kit from the Artisan's Kitpack
    • Did not get the Poison Weapon ability at any level up to 21. Does not appear to be a passive ability either based on me slaughtering all of Candlekeep and never seeing any poison checks or poisoning any of the opponents.
    • The Set Snare ability description in the kit has the following line
      1st Level: Deals 2d8+5 missile damage.
      This should be "3rd Level: Deals 2d8+5 missile damage" since the set snare ability is gained at level 3.
    • In the level up dialogue box at level 10 and higher it says "gains level 1 priest spell" even though it doesn't actually due to kit restrictions. I'm not sure if there is any way to suppress these messages.
    • The kit receives all the expected HLAs from Refinements for the Trueclass Ranger. Working as intended!

Divine Champion bugs.
    • The right click description of the Smite Infidel ability does not match the kit description version of the ability or the one in the documentation.
      3sq58irhnokl.jpg
      aq4gc7igjkjy.jpg
    edited July 2020
    Mystic Fire from Artisan's Kitpack @AionZ
    • At level 10 when you get 2nd level spells the Mystic Fire does not get the 2nd level arcane spells added to their spellbook. The arcane spells get added at level 11.
    • At level 12 when you get 3rd level spells the Mystic Fire does not get the 3rd level arcane spells added to their spellbook. The arcane spells get added at level 13.
    • At level 15 when you get 4th level spells, the Mystic Fire DOES get the 4th level arcane spells added to their spellbook. This one is working as intended.
    • Refinements Interaction. Seems to be pretty harmless. The Mystic Fire also gets Exorcism, Holy Aura, Holy Purge, Righteous Magic, Shield of Law and Toughness.
    • Undocumented additional HLAs for the kit 32kderyc8unj.jpg
    • New HLAs do not list their prerequisites in their descriptions like all the base game HLAs.
    Artisan's Kitpack Blackguard.
    • The in-game kit description is the base game version. The one during character creation is the Artisan's Kitpack version.
    • At level 3, the Blackguard gets the message "Negative Plane Protection" instead of "Aura of Despair". Note that the Blackguard also got the message Negative Plane Protection at level 1. Testing in combat does not provide any indication that the Aura of Despair actually exists and though there is a portrait icon. It might be working
    • The mage spells are added to the Blackguard's divine magic spellbook at level 1, not level 9 as indicated in the kit description. This means that the Blackguard gains access to blindness and larloch's minor drain at level 6, not level 9 because of when the kit gains priest spell slots.
    • There is no indication that the Blackguard gets a backstab multiplier on the character record page where it is normally listed and so far in testing the detailed combat info doesn't show the backstab multiplier being applied when the character is attacking from a backstab position. At level 8 & 10 when using the invisibility spell and attacking from the backstab position, a x2 multiplier was applied, so it appears that the backstab multiplier increase at level 9 is not being applied correction. Still nothing on the character record page
    • HLAs worked as expected and the Refinements category replacement HLAs were substituted in cleanly over the base game HLAs.
    edited July 2020
    Artisan's Kitpack Hivemaster Druid:
    • Web is added to the spellbook at level 1 (not castable at level 2 spells), however Spider Spawn is not added to the priest spellbook level 4 at character creation.
    • Spider Spawn is added to the spellbook at character level 5 (priest spell level 4), though the druid does not get level 4 slots yet (they are gained at level 7).
    • The HLA list appears to be a modified version of the Refinements HLA list for Druids. The Hivemaster gets all Refinements HLAs except for Elemental Prince Call and Volcano. I am not sure if this is intentional or a weird interaction between Refinements and the artisan kitpack's Hivemaster.
    • All the other HLAs function as expected.

For the adding spells to the spellbook, the cleanest way may be to either
    • Add all the spells at level 1, this means that any other mods fiddling with spell tables have a much lower chance of desynching when the new spells are added from when the player becomes able to cast the spell.
    • Explicitly say in the text at what character level these spells get added i.e.
      – 1st level: Web added as a 2nd level priest spell.
      - 5th level: Spider Spawn added as a 4th level priest spell.
    Artisan's Kitpack Assassin Thief
    • Upon entry into the game the message "You cannot cast multiple instances of the same contingency spell on yourself" is displayede2fb59nmz1ir.jpg
    • In game kit description is the base game assassin. The one shown during character creation is the one for the Artisan's Kitpack version.
    • The starting backstab multiplier is x2, not x3 as per the kit description. It increases to x3 at level 5, x4 at level 9, x5 at level 13. 2jkde7xnbe1a.jpg
      I wonder if the following code is why it only goes up to x5 because the first Replace_Textually ~Assassin... looks a lot like what I am seeing in game.
      // change backstab
      COPY_EXISTING ~backstab.2da~ ~override~
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~ASSASIN 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5~
      ~ASSASIN 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7~
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~ASSASIN 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8~
      ~ASSASIN 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7~
      COPY_EXISTING ~crippstr.2da~ ~override~
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~ASSASIN 0 0 0 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 9 9 9 10 10 10 11 11 11 12 12 12 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13~
      ~ASSASIN 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 10 10 11 11 12 12 13 13 14 14 15 15 16 16 17 17 18 18 19 19 20 20 21 21 22 22 23 23 24 24 25 25~
      COPY_EXISTING ~sneakatt.2da~ ~override~
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~ASSASIN 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 9 9 9 10 10 10 11 11 11 12 12 12 13 13 13 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14~
      ~ASSASIN 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 10 10 11 11 12 12 13 13 14 14 15 15 16 16 17 17 18 18 19 19 20 20 21 21 22 22 23 23 24 24 25 25 26 26~
    • Analysis doesn't give any indication if it is active or not and how high it has stacked. Ideally, there'd be some sort of small portrait icon with a number showing the current bonus, but this may be too difficult in the engine. It appears to be functioning at level 1 based on some testing.
    • Switching between backstab styles gives additional portrait icons and information on the character record that is not covered in the readme. Bleeding gives "Minor Antimagic Shell and Backstab: Bleeding". Cuthroat gives "Frozen and Backstab: Cuthroat". Hamstring gives "Corrosion and Backstab: Hamstring". Lethality gives "Immolated and Backstab: Lethal". Paralysis gives "Scorching Flames and Backstab: Paralysis". Do any of these secondary portrait icons do anything? All tested at level 17, when the character obtained the Lethality option.
    Artisan's Kitpack Magekiller thief kit.
    • Gained Spell Immunity at level 7, not 8 as per the kit description.

Everything else worked as advertised.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Caedwyr
    Analysis does function correctly. You can see how high the bonuses have stacked in the inventory screen - it's classified as an ability bonus to THAC0 and damage.

I'll add to the feedback about the assassin.
    • For the fighter/assassin multiclass kit, Analysis triggers only once ever, and then never again, giving feedback about how a contingency was triggered. A single-classed assassin does not have this issue. Creating the character as a single-classed assassin and then using EEKeeper to change them into the fighter/assassin kit causes Analysis to function as expected.
    • Level-based bonuses to saves vs. death are not permanent and can be removed with ctrl+R.
    • The Lethality backstab style does an undocumented extra 20% of the target's max HP in damage if they fail the save.
    Flashburn wrote: »
    @Caedwyr
    Analysis does function correctly. You can see how high the bonuses have stacked in the inventory screen - it's classified as an ability bonus to THAC0 and damage.

I'll add to the feedback about the assassin.
    • For the fighter/assassin multiclass kit, Analysis triggers only once ever, and then never again, giving feedback about how a contingency was triggered. A single-classed assassin does not have this issue. Creating the character as a single-classed assassin and then using EEKeeper to change them into the fighter/assassin kit causes Analysis to function as expected.
    • Level-based bonuses to saves vs. death are not permanent and can be removed with ctrl+R.
    • The Lethality backstab style does an undocumented extra 20% of the target's max HP in damage if they fail the save.

Good catch on Analysis showing up in the ability bonus. Still, a minor portrait icon to indicate when a bonus is active would be a nice ease of use feature.