Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Who'd have thunk picking vampire as "race" for your rogue would actually be a hindrance.. :smirk:

Vampirism at least on 3.5e is a huge BUFF to sorcerers...

I think the class that would benefit the most from vampirism would be monks, actually. Nearly every single stat boost is useful to the Monk in some way, and I believe there is a feat from one of the supplements (Libris Mortis, perhaps?) that allows the Monk to use their Unarmed attacks AND apply the vampire's Energy Drain attacks with each strike. The vampire's special transformations and skill boosts also synergize very well with a Monk's speed and evasive abilities.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited July 2020
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Who'd have thunk picking vampire as "race" for your rogue would actually be a hindrance.. :smirk:

Vampirism at least on 3.5e is a huge BUFF to sorcerers...

I think the class that would benefit the most from vampirism would be monks, actually. Nearly every single stat boost is useful to the Monk in some way, and I believe there is a feat from one of the supplements (Libris Mortis, perhaps?) that allows the Monk to use their Unarmed attacks AND apply the vampire's Energy Drain attacks with each strike. The vampire's special transformations and skill boosts also synergize very well with a Monk's speed and evasive abilities.

Actually, sorcerer would benefit a lot too. Sorcs has high CHA, being a vampire makes him with no CON score and CHA to bonus his hit points. A sorc with 12 CON and 18 CHA, would have 22 CHA and instead of +1 per hit dice, +6. Sorcs also has low fortitude save, and his low fortitude save becomes immunity to fortitude saves.

Dealing with vampire weakness for a mid to high level sorcerer(low level characters can't become vampires, only vampire spawns), being able to control the weather for eg, negates the sunlight weakness. Monks would be great, but monks needs to be lawful. And being a vampire and lawful unless you own your own demiplane is hard.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2020

Thoughts about the video
    • Nick Pechenin said that you can have several "Inspiration points" in BG3, so Inspiration would work differently, something like the "fate points" in Arcanum, I assume.
    • Level cap 10 is not set in stone... That would be great. Only one level will get you 5th level spells and lots of class features for rangers, rogues, bards, barbarians, the extra attack for a fighter... and Lvl 12 gives you one ASI/feat more for single-class characters. I understand that would add a lot of work for features that you could only use in the endgame (I assume) but It would be amazing to have them.
    • Good thing they´re going to take into account "utility" spells (usually not combat-related) like "friends"
    • They tweaked some range and area of some spells because they are "working with a specific top-down camera". We´ll have to see about that.
    • They´re working in more and more reactions, like spells or the protection fighting style. Cool.
    Dealing with vampire weakness for a mid to high level sorcerer(low level characters can't become vampires, only vampire spawns), being able to control the weather for eg, negates the sunlight weakness. Monks would be great, but monks needs to be lawful. And being a vampire and lawful unless you own your own demiplane is hard.
    IIRC vampires have to be evil, but they could be lawful evil. Is there any other circumstances that could be problematic for a vampire to stay lawful? Genuinely curious here.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited July 2020
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    IIRC vampires have to be evil, but they could be lawful evil. Is there any other circumstances that could be problematic for a vampire to stay lawful? Genuinely curious here.

Simple, lawful follow the laws. So, how to lawfully feed upon mortals? Except by Thay, which the monarch is a epic level lich, i don't think that many lawful societies would be ok with vampires feeding on people. Mainly on sword coast. On Thay, i can see a lawful evil vampire feeding upon his slaves lawfully. but the same thing can't happen in neverwinter.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    A Lawful vampire may feed if the person agrees. I can think several reasons a person would agree...
    Actually, sorcerer would benefit a lot too. Sorcs has high CHA, being a vampire makes him with no CON score and CHA to bonus his hit points. A sorc with 12 CON and 18 CHA, would have 22 CHA and instead of +1 per hit dice, +6. Sorcs also has low fortitude save, and his low fortitude save becomes immunity to fortitude saves.

Oh yes, Vampirism would benefit just about every single class out there, don't get me wrong. ;) I just think that a Monk gets the greatest synergy out of the vampire's different abilities and stat boosts, although naturally any class with a Charisma primary stat would also feed back into the vampire's other abilities like Dominate.

In 3.X, vampires no longer need to be Chaotic Evil anymore. Heck, even the MM itself comes with a sample high level Vampire Monk. XD And as others have said, being Lawful doesn't necessarily mean that you "obey laws". Rather, it means that you like rules, structure, and favour an approach to life that is orderly and methodical, bringing order out of chaos, so to speak. As a result, Lawful characters TEND to follow the laws of the land, but if you strictly followed that interpretation it would mean that paladins would also be compelled to obey even tyrannical or evil laws ("By decree of the Dragon Overlord, every household must offer up their firstborn daughter for sacrifice!")
    edited July 2020
    scriver wrote: »
    DinoDin wrote: »
    An interview with one of the devs of Larian. Rock, paper, shotgun interview (7jul)

This interview is impressive I have to say. You can really tell that the designer being interviewed knows his stuff, comes off as very intelligent to me, very open minded too. The analysis of why they went from team initiative to individual initiative is great, and amazing how in depth they go into it.

I haven't watched the interview, does this mean they haven't switched to individual initiative after all?
    Yes, they are, but you also have the option to act at the same time if your characters are grouped together (and they want to do the same with the enemies if it´s feasible)

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Neat. Might be a good... shit I forget the word. You know. Middle way deal.

I can also agree with enemies moving at the same time or as simultaneously as possible, for pacing reasons, if they're right next to each other in the initiative list. Nothing more boring in TB combat than than the long wait for enemies to move if the game format speed it up enough.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

I can also agree with enemies moving at the same time or as simultaneously as possible, for pacing reasons, if they're right next to each other in the initiative list. Nothing more boring in TB combat than than the long wait for enemies to move if the game format speed it up enough.

Yeah. I actually think the system technically works the same way in 5e. I suspect most people dont use it the same way, but you could conceivably hold actions based on what the person right after you does in your initiative order.

So I was controlling two characters. I could move one, hold action until the second one moves - then make two attacks in a row, one from each character.

Agree with @PsicoVic with respect to Lawful alignment. It's not about obeying individual laws within a given society - it's about believing in the concept of order within society in general. The particularity of the order will change based upon the circumstances.

In the case of a Vampire, they probably believe non vampires are cattle/food (much the way most humans would view a cow or chicken). They see a natural order in place, in which they must feed and others must be fed upon. As an example, anyways.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I must say with each new info, interview, gameplay, I'm more and more convinced it will be great game. It resembles DoS2 very little now, it may share some graphics stiles similarities, but the gameplay feels completely different and surprisingly I really like the UI. I'm interested how item description would look like, but from what I see it looks much more solid that it was in DoS series. This is something that was unparalleled in BG1 and BG2. Looking forward for this game. It is a rare case when my initial feelings shifts that much from disappointment to (still moderate) excitement.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @Cahir I am glad to hear your feelings are shifting in a positive direction ?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Cahir "I must say with each new info, interview, gameplay, I'm more and more convinced it will be great game."

Man, I am having the exact opposite experience.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Cahir "I must say with each new info, interview, gameplay, I'm more and more convinced it will be great game."

But your experience was not exactly enthusiastic from the beginning, IIRC. I believe just after you realized there is a "3" in the name and that Larian will be the studio behind it :)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Cahir wrote: »
    I must say with each new info, interview, gameplay, I'm more and more convinced it will be great game. It resembles DoS2 very little now, it may share some graphics stiles similarities, but the gameplay feels completely different and surprisingly I really like the UI. I'm interested how item description would look like, but from what I see it looks much more solid that it was in DoS series. This is something that was unparalleled in BG1 and BG2. Looking forward for this game. It is a rare case when my initial feelings shifts that much from disappointment to (still moderate) excitement.

I don't think saying gameplay is completely different from D:OS2 is accurate. It's not exactly the same, obviously, but it is far from completely different and in fact is much more similar than different.
    kanisatha wrote: »

I don't think saying gameplay is completely different from D:OS2 is accurate. It's not exactly the same, obviously, but it is far from completely different and in fact is much more similar than different.

It's a matter of perception, I guess. Let me put it this way. There are similarities, that's for sure, BG3 is running on an enhanced DoS2 engine, but there are much less of them to be found in recent gameplay than in the one presented in February. It's highly individual matter, but I feel more of a BG vibe than before. Cannot pinpoint what exactly made me feel that way, but it's probably many small different things. Not sure how it would feel, but from what I see, fights are more situational and less repetitive than in DoS2, where you always needed to put off enemy's physical or magic protection. Here, you can eliminate enemies in more interesting, not always obvious ways.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570

I'm definitely somewhat impressed with the item UI. It's a little thing to be sure, but it seems like that space has lots of potential for the long descriptions, complex mods and interesting artwork.

Compromise? ;) But yeah, I agree. I think that this system of allowing players to choose between individual or group initiative for their game is the best of both worlds. Group initiative has the benefit of greatly speeding up fights, but individual initiative means that combat will be a lot more open-ended and a great deal more variable from encounter to encounter. No two battles are likely to go the same way, assuming that initiative order is random each time, and I think that will help make improve BG3's longevity by a long way.
    edited July 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »

But your experience was not exactly enthusiastic from the beginning, IIRC. I believe just after you realized there is a "3" in the name and that Larian will be the studio behind it :)

I was excited when I saw the first teaser announcement.
    I was confused when "Larian" was first mentioned.
    I was annoyed when Larian refused to commment on how exactly its supposed to be a sequel. (Still haven't. BTW)
    I was angry when Sven kept saying that BG's gameplay doesn't work for RPGs. (Oh but he totally loves the series guys, see? He likes Minsc!) ugh
    They lost me when turn based was confirmed.

*edit* Some stuff at the AMA had me a little bit more hopeful. But I don't think Larian can overcome the turn based hurdle for me, or the bad comments towards the classic BG games.
    edited July 2020

Compromise? ;) But yeah, I agree. I think that this system of allowing players to choose between individual or group initiative for their game is the best of both worlds. Group initiative has the benefit of greatly speeding up fights, but individual initiative means that combat will be a lot more open-ended and a great deal more variable from encounter to encounter. No two battles are likely to go the same way, assuming that initiative order is random each time, and I think that will help make improve BG3's longevity by a long way.

They will also keep the "battle zone" mechanics (Well, the game has MP too). If a player/character is in combat the others could move and do not enter combat until they reach a place close to where the fight is going on.
    kanisatha wrote: »

It's a matter of perception, I guess. Let me put it this way. There are similarities, that's for sure, BG3 is running on an enhanced DoS2 engine, but there are much less of them to be found in recent gameplay than in the one presented in February. It's highly individual matter, but I feel more of a BG vibe than before. Cannot pinpoint what exactly made me feel that way, but it's probably many small different things. Not sure how it would feel, but from what I see, fights are more situational and less repetitive than in DoS2, where you always needed to put off enemy's physical or magic protection. Here, you can eliminate enemies in more interesting, not always obvious ways.

Just to add more clarity to my comment, I was speaking about combat gameplay and not gameplay overall. Combat gameplay still looks very D:OS to me.

Compromise? ;) But yeah, I agree. I think that this system of allowing players to choose between individual or group initiative for their game is the best of both worlds.
    Players cannot *choose* this. It is a matter of luck, which is to say, if your initiative rolls come out to be such that two or more of your characters' initiatives are next to each other, you can do group actions. This is not at all the same as being able to choose this option, like a toggle or something.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570

I actually don't think group initiative speeds up fights. In fact, I think it slows it down. This is one excellent point that the designer from Larian brought up in the interview that's posted above. Group initiative presents the player with a lot more options (and lot more ability to flip back and forth between characters). Players trying to optimize are going to have to calculate through a much larger possible list of strategies with group initiative.
    But your own turns taking longer is not as much a negative as the computer's turns taking longer. It's less downspeedy because it's less boring. When you act you are busy, when the computer acts you wait.
    edited July 2020
    Not if the game has "Faster enemy turns" "Enemy instant turns" or a speedbar..., like almost any game of the same category in existence.

I always found puzzling that so many people talk about long enemy turns... What games do you play , guys? =D the only games I know do not have that option in this decade are the turn-based mode of POE2 and DoS games. Even the 2000s "Arcanum" game had that option.
    Well, regardless, the main point is that there is no compromise of any kind here. Team initiative itself was at most a very tiny compromise, and that's now been taken away. This is a traditional TB combat system, but with some (minimal imo) efforts being made to speed things up. But as far as I can tell, the only thing that can meaningfully "speed" things up in a TB system is for the combat to last only a few rounds in the first place (ideally no more than three rounds for me because after that I start feeling aggravated).
    Not if the game has "Faster enemy turns" "Enemy instant turns" or a speedbar..., like almost any game of the same category in existence.

I always found puzzling that so many people talk about long enemy turns... What games do you play , guys? =D the only games I know do not have that option in this decade are the turn-based mode of POE2 and DoS games. Even the 2000s "Arcanum" game had that option.

Any total war game, for starters. And lots of games are still awfully slow even with "faster" turns enabled.
    I have a suggestion: RTWP can be real time, turn based, or any combination of the two!

Someone should tell Larian.
    edited July 2020

Any total war game, for starters. And lots of games are still awfully slow even with "faster" turns enabled.

Those are strategy games, man.

ED: And Total war games have a "FastForward" option, FYI.
    Still takes time because in strategy games, unlike in RPGs, all enemy civilizations move every time you finish your turn (build, train, use diplomacy, move armies, fight,...) even if you cannot see them or you´re not nearby.
    Turns in total war last that long in low-end computers because they have to make a lot of calculus off-screen and that could take a lot of time for your PC.
    That´s not applicable to RPGs.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on