Skip to content

Should NPCs be immortal before they join you?

So having read the thread the other day about Dorn being invincible in the encounter I remembered that Neera was very much mortal when you meet her in Beregost yet after reaching her today it seems she is now immortal. I'm really not a fan of this change, I mean what is the point of rescuing someone that doesn't need rescuing? If it was on story mode I'd get it but this is core she should be subject to death if I fail to protect her imo.

What do you guys think?

(also, my first ever poll ^^)
  1. Should NPCs be immortal before they join you?30 votes
    1. Yes
      23.33%
    2. No
      50.00%
    3. Some should but not all.
      26.67%

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm not a fan of the idea that I could get locked out of content because the ai did somethign outside my control.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited June 2019
    @Mush_Mush Please check out https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/22273 (a public report) for Neera where a user states reasons for that change.

This is also what I added myself back when that report was being reviewed:

I'd like to add the following - it's actually inconsistent with other NPCs:

"During fixing #3382 4 years ago it was decided to remove the minhp1 item after the Ekandor cutscene, rather than at the end of that combat.

This behavior towards Neera is inconsistent with the initial ambush of BG1:EE with Dorn (who still has the minhp1 item) and, as it's Neera, creates problems for players:
    - Neera's HP at the lvl 1 are very low (4)
    - Neera's wild surge can kill herself (for example, through a Fireball surge)
    - Neera is in Beregost, the town many players reach while still of the 1st level and thus not having enough firepower to kill all the enemies before they hit Neera

Another argument can be the following. Considering there's now a LoB diffuculty available, keeping Neera on LoB alive during the initial encounter is more difficult than all other tasks of the similar level of danger. Because of her AI (and not having a sling), Neera just melees enemies after casting her spells, thus becoming an aim of the red wizards."

This is what Phil added: "Giving her a sling might help with that behaviour. Ultimately I want the NPCs to be consistent, so we could also have her minHP ring match how Dorn works."
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In the cases like Dorn, Neera or Shar-Teel, yes, definitely should, at least during their "joining events". It's not a good game design - in my opinion - when you are getting cut out of content due to factors that are beyond your control.

But aside from that, NPCs should be able to die, regardless if in party or not. This largery doesn't affect majority of playerbase anyways and in case of no-reloads player it can add a certain spice to the gameplay. Imagine having a wild surge next to NPC you initially planned to take along :p
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Shar-Teel would probably be the only exception for me given the risk of death would be quite high especially at higher levels, so it would make sense. But this isn't as noticeable because as soon as you'd hit that 1hp minimum dialogue would initiate and it would seem natural...however, watching Neera be surrounded and pummeled by enemies soaking 50, 60+ damage while my party lies unconscious from colour spray is, on the other hand, not so natural and really breaks the immersion which is the cornerstone of BG games, for me at least. :)

DnD is all about risk, if you take that away it loses something. :/
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Otherwise new players can be locked out of content without realising. Also if they have joined you they can be raised but you don’t get this option before they join.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Who does this apply to? Dorn and Neera, but is anyone else immortal at first?

If the encounters where you get to recruit them are such that they need to immortal to have a reasonable chance of survival then the encounters need to be fixed.

Neera is particularly annoying because if you want the gem bag, you have to recruit her. It doesn't seem like great game design that you always end up recruiting Neera and then immediately kicking her out of the group after taking her stuff. At least with Dorn you can pretend that you never noticed him sat there in the corner of the FAI right at the start.

Anyone know how to mod the game so that Dorn never appears in the FAI, Neera never appears in Beregost, and there's a gembag for sale in Feldepost's Inn?
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2019
    Yes, because of Shar-Teel, Dorn and Neera.
    Pingwin wrote: »

Anyone know how to mod the game so that Dorn never appears in the FAI, Neera never appears in Beregost, and there's a gembag for sale in Feldepost's Inn?
    I think there is an option in the G3 tweak anthology to erase the new Beamdog´s characters entirely.

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,059
    edited June 2019
    That would be a very easy and simple mod to make if it wasn't.

It really should be yes for this situation unless Neera is strong enough to survive with help without it. Another fix would have been to allow Neera in the party right away when she asked for help, if the PC says no and she dies, they are out of luck.

Most other NPCs don't need it, but if they had similar situations, yes. If it wasn't as difficult to save someone then sometimes or no would have been my answer.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited June 2019
    Pingwin wrote: »
    I don't know about the gem bag, but with @argent77's "Disable Enhanced Edition NPCs" you could disable them to not show in your game, or also so they do not initiate dialogue (and thus trigger the encounters) by themselves iirc.

On topic: I'm with @Pingwin here, actually, if the NPCs are not supposed to die in the very first encounter, this very first encounter needs to be scripted differently. Only exception is Shar-Teel, which is an engine thing imho since there is no other way to really prevent the player to accidentally kill her in a real fight.
    For NPCs just standing around, making them immortal before joining would lead to really weird situations in case the player decides to e.g. load them with fireballs.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Skitia wrote: »
    Another fix would have been to allow Neera in the party right away when she asked for help, if the PC says no and she dies, they are out of luck.

That'd be a good fix tbh.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Mush_Mush wrote: »
    Skitia wrote: »
    Another fix would have been to allow Neera in the party right away when she asked for help, if the PC says no and she dies, they are out of luck.

That'd be a good fix tbh.

I think it would be quite awkward if the party is full. Then we would have another party member asking whether they should really leave the party in the middle of combat.

I think for Neera and Dorn the easiest fix would be to have the AI script of the enemies focus on CHARNAME & party instead of the NPC. But might be overwritten by SCS, if you use it?

For Shar-Teel: make sure she has a helm to avoid critical hits and have her surrender at a fairly high HP threshold (about 15, which works if she a minimum level of 2). If you attack her with a Two-Handed-Sword + 3 while dosed with a Potion of Cloud Giant Strength you might still get unlucky, but in that case you sort of deserve it.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    If we can't keep the potential companion alive, that's either a problem with the encounter, or a problem with the player, but I really don't feel like "Immortal Companion" is the solution.

Either way, I don't feel like any of the current companion's encounters were a problem. The save function exits for a reason. It's fine if occasionally you don't get it in one go.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I never cared all that much for the old habit of some table top games to have random outcomes that were pretty much random chance and could kill you, or otherwise mess up your game, and you have not only no control, but essentially no input at all. Having an NPC you want to have join you die during the rescue scene is not a good feeling, and it's like the game is punishing me for daring to play it.

I think Shar-Teel should just give in after one hit, why risk getting killed?

Perhaps encounters could be designed to make it more likely for the NPC to survive, but if an opponent happens to get 2 or 3 crits in a row, the fight can be over quite suddenly, and in endless thousands of rolls, a string of 20s does come up, and is very annoying at the wrong time.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I voted Yes primarily due to level scaling issues. There's one particular encounter in SoD that comes to mind, where Jaheira can get killed by wandering trolls before you even realize she's in trouble (and since her spawn is halfway across the map, there is NO way you can get there in time to save her if you had bad luck with spawns/patrol patterns). Likewise, for encounters like Shar-Teel, I don't want to accidentally run the risk of fighting her with an over-leveled and min-maxed Fighter who just gibs her in 2 hits if I happen to run across her later in the game.

That said, I can see why some people might find the "dice fudging" behind the scenes to be a turn-off if they enjoy a purist gamestyle, so perhaps this should be some sort of toggle (tied to lower difficulty settings?) that players can simply switch to if they're having trouble.