Skip to content

Help Wanted: How to create quests?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
edited June 2019 in General Modding
Hello! I am wondering how to create quests, journal entries and how to alter quests and also share them with WeiDU?

I make items, dialog, stores, creatures, abilities and areas but I have not made quest content. More details here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73749/extra-expanded-enhanced-encounters-module-download/p1

I have a starting quest project with altering the Firewine Ghost Knight quest and adding a follow up quest that involves the Idol of Kozah
More details if interested:
I think there is a mystery with the Firewine Ruins. The original content has gaps and does not add up with the Cursed Longsword +1 'Vampire's Revenge'. Also the exclusive and unique magical items, the Helm of Charm Protection on the Ghost Knights; the whole thing seems like cut quest content (there are many cases of cut original quest content as explored by the module Unfinished Business). The Ghost Knights should be made regular kill-able (the magic immunity from the ghost ring should stay for theme flavour) for they have unique items that were only found on them in the Original installment by Bioware; they are more 'historical' if that makes any sense. I can add this new content to an enlarged version of https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73749/extra-expanded-enhanced-encounters-module-download/p1 that would be enrolled with Baldur's Gate Arms and Armour Emporium.

All of the Ghost Knights are able to be killed by weird methods anyway. The Ghost Knight quest should be expanded to become a challenging encounter with items to match. Although the Unique magical item duplicates should be replaced by generic magical items and Full Platemail +1 replaced with Field Plate +1 for sake of balance:
yy37fdh82mw8.png

All of the Ghost Knights would need to be tweaked somehow to remove their .cre file blanket damage immunities; any ideas on how to pull this off in WeiDU @Gwendolyne ? I could make new Creature files and remove the original ghost knights with new version spawned in. Although I would need to adjust the quest and have an option where the player can fight the ghost knights; perhaps with the Idol of Kozah. I would need help with altering the quest and journal entry. I have typically avoided tweaking quests in the past to add new content (I just changed items characters and shops had access to at most). Yet this is another can of worms and there is no other convenient story satisfying way to tweak this original piece of content to add more content to Baldur's Gate.

Lore: Perhaps the Ghost Knights stay after the ancient armour is given to them but their curse is not lifted for the Undead Knight was a Zealot of Kozah and with their shared vow, the Ghost Knights together were cursed by the powers of Kozah. For the Undead Knight would rather not betray his companions in a time of need and instead betrayed his God's will with his vow with his holy companions and a result Kozah being a spiteful deity personally cursed the band of knights to be forever banished to walk on the mortal plane never knowing rest. The band of loyal knights stuck in-between life and death for an eternity. All because of the betrayal of faith by the Undead Knight to never abandon his companions. Yet as a result of his battle of the heart the Undead Knight doomed them all and he was driven to madness once the band of knights descended forward with their quest. In the end with the now long dead god's idol near by as a fonte of unholy power Kozah's curse too drove the holy knights to madness. Yet in the end the divine powers flowing through the blood of the Bhaalspawn broke the knights cursed torment and they were finally granted peace from their eternal undeath by the progeny of the Lord of Murder; the curse lifted only by supernatural murder.

Perhaps the original Ghost Knight quest can complete; yet the Ghost Knights remain. The journal entry would need to be updated and say something is wrong and the curse was not lifted but the Undead Knight was given rest but not the Ghost Knights. 1,500 experience (original amount) is rewarded to the party and access to the second Ghost Knight Quest is toggled on / (globalled?).

Then after the completion of the original Undead Knight quest the Ghost Knights are given new dialog saying that they feel the curse strengthen and that they hear voices in their mind and see visions of ruins of a cave by the ocean to the south with what they call 'infidels' intruding. Once the player has Idol of Kozah (Undead Knight quest completed or not) the Ghost Knights go berserk (hostile) and shout a line of dialog where the madness compels to slay the 'unworthy infidel' that holds what is most divine, their 'sacrilege' is unforgivable. The Ghost Knights are slain by the Bhaalspawn and on the death of the lead Ghost Knight shouts 'The Lord of Murder gives us freedom from our curse; the gift of death.' The Ghost knights die and the quest is completed and a new journal entry is prompted accounting the odd turn of events and the mystery over the Lord of Murder.

The Ghost Knights corpses stay and can be looted (including the ancient armour that was given to the Ghost Knights after the optional completion of the Undead Knight Quest; this can be used to complete the Vampire's Revenge Quest along with the Idol of Kozah) after the battle. 3,600 experience is award to the party; on top of the Doomsayer and Ghost Knights death experience (adjusted for difficulty along with the original Undead Knight).
Also here is a remade Long Sword +2 (+3 Reforged) 'The Vampire's Revenge':
(yes I know that the original was +1)
bcofcsk4fmf7.png
Source: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71447/baldurs-gate-arms-and-armour-emporium/p2

I am looking for people with quest creation knowledge, quest making tutorials and general advice here to make quest content for Baldur's Gate. If I can create this 'test run' quest, I can create more quests for larger projects of mine (Dragons, Liches, Beholders etc.). I am open for creative advice.