Skip to content

Can a lightning bolt miss a stationary target

Just started a no-reload run through BG, and got to Beregost where I had a disagreement with Silke. Due to some terrible dice rolls she survived long enough to cast her lightning bolt at charname who was stood right next to her so obviously this was the end of the no-reload run.

Or so it should have been. The lightning bolt went straight past charname somehow, chunked Garrick for about 48 points of damage and went bouncing off down the main street.

I can understand that a lightning bolt cast against a fast moving target some distance away might miss but how could Silke's lightning bolt possibly have missed charname as he was right next to her and not moving?

Quite pleased that it turned out like this as my no-reload run gets to carry on but just a bit puzzled by it.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The 2.6 patch will fix a lot of spell bugs, including (I believe) this one.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited July 2019
    If you are immediately next to the caster, yes. It's speed (60) can allow it to completely pass you before the first proximity check. This is currently the only reason it doesn't immediately damage the caster, while the slower moving Smashing Wave spell has to grant it's caster immunity to the spell to prevent them from being hit by it.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Does messing around with the framerate in the lua file to make the game run slightly faster affect this sort of thing?
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    The lightning bolt projectile has been redone with new functionality which fixes many issues including this one for 2.6. There is no way around pre 2.6 so you will have to wait for 2.6 for the fix. The projectile will never miss the initial target and will continue in a straight line, bouncing off obstacles and hitting creatures in its path.