Skip to content

Contributing to other mods?

CicatrixCicatrix Member Posts: 14
edited September 2019 in BG:EE Mods
1) I have been working on making a few new items to help game balance and bookkeeping issues, but I don't want to go to the effort of making an entire mod. Is it common/acceptable to offer resources to people working on large-sized mods?

2) The best item I want to make is a good spear. Currently spears are really, really, really underpowered. They have low damage, a bad damage type, use up both hands and there are simply not enough magical spears available in the game compared to other weapon types. Ashideena is available near the very beginning of BG1 and you can't get a spear that does more damage than Ashideena until you get to the City of Caverns halfway through BG2!

my solution:
Heartbreaker +2 (+1d20 damage on critical hit, +5% critical chance)

average damage is 7.15 (before proficiency and strength bonuses)
Varscona average damage is 7.875 (before proficiency and strength bonuses) and you get a hand free for a shield or a second weapon!

Is that too powerful for a spear in BG1?
Post edited by Cicatrix on

Comments

• UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    Cicatrix wrote: »
    1) I have been working on making a few new items to help game balance and bookkeeping issues, but I don't want to go to the effort of making an entire mod. Is it common/acceptable to offer resources to people working on large-sized mods?

Of course it is acceptable to offer resources, though I can't tell you if there is any mod author out there interested in using your items.

I'd say usually it is either code or stuff like portraits or item artwork that is welcomed by authors. Modifying items is rather easy to do and item mod authors probably have their own vision for items/balance..

In any case, I would suggest you just start your own mod. Putting together an item mod is really easy to do and requires very little WeiDU knowledge at all.

Like, this is pretty much all the code you need:
    BACKUP ~yourmodname/backup~
    AUTHOR ~your mod's forum thread~
    VERSION ~1.0~

BEGIN ~yourmod~
    COPY ~yourmodname/files/youritem.ITM~ ~override~  
    SAY NAME1 ~Cloak~ // unidentified name for items OR spell name
    SAY NAME2 ~Very Cool Cloak~ // identified name for items
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC~This cloak looks especially cool!~  // just copy&paste default description
    SAY DESC ~Very Cool Cloak
    So cool!

STATISTICS:
    +43 coolness~

2) The best item I want to make is a good spear. Currently spears are really, really, really underpowered. They have low damage, a bad damage type, use up both hands and there are simply not enough magical spears available in the game compared to other weapon types. Ashideena is available near the very beginning of BG1 and you can't get a spear that does more damage than Ashideena until you get to the City of Caverns halfway through BG2!

my solution:
    Heartbreaker +2 (+1d20 damage on critical hit, +5% critical chance)

average damage is 7.15 (before proficiency and strength bonuses)
    Varscona average damage is 7.875 (before proficiency and strength bonuses) and you get a hand free for a shield or a second weapon!

Is that too powerful for a spear in BG1?

Looks like you've put some thought in it. Don't think it's too strong.

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Before the MBA I was planning a mod that would add more katanas and spears to all games (IWD, BG1&2). I really don't have time for this now.

I second Ulb's idea of building your own itempack mod, though.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    I would try reaching out first to those you think would want to include them, and if no success, just build your own mod.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    A standalone item pack wouldn't be a bad idea. I agree spears are underpowered. I added a throwing javelin to BG and in BG2 upgraded it (not yet released), but that's it.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I was also working on a javelin and 1 handed spear mod but I don't have the time now.

I created 2 small mods for clubs and was thinking about a spear that could hurt the greater werewolf and loup galou.

I can turn your spear into a weidu mod if you want.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Id say do both... create your own mini mod and also offer it to a larger mod project - the larger mod would give you credit in the readme and the items might see more action.