Skip to content

Silly childhood thoughts

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
So I'm back home for the holidays, a country boy back in the country with no computer, no internet, and it's been storming all day so no six mile walk to get to town for me.

So as I sketch and listen to the water fall on the trailer ceiling my mind began to drift back to a younger time where my imagination was less controlled chaos and just pure chaos.

I remembered a time where I use to stand at the window and watch the water fall from the sky and wonder what was causing it. Some how, don't ask how, but I came to the conclusion that the rain and thunder were a result of two skyscraper sized mech clashing in explosive combat. Needless to say I kept running from window to window trying to find them... I still haven't succeeded...those freaking mechs are fast but I'll catch them just you wait!

So what are some silly thoughts from you're preadolescence days.

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @JoenSo
    ...I want to try that last one now...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I used to think the government cared about people...
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I can remember the cartoons I watched as a young child in the early 70's that would show umbrella's being used as parachutes.
    It took me only one time of leaping off the house roof with an open golf umbrella to realize they didn't work that way. I was lucky I didn't get hurt more than I did. Still, it makes me laugh a little when I think about it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I used to get "girl" and "grill" confused constantly. I never understood why my parents were so horrified when I suggested we "fire up the girl."
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I was an avid reader as a child. I had read the term "hors d'oevres" many times, but never heard it said aloud.

Once my mother was going to a party, and I asked her if they were going to serve "whore's de-vores". She cracked up, and I had never seen my mother laugh so hard.

That is exactly how I used to pronounce them until my English teacher in high school corrected me. XD
    Why did the Dinosaurs all die?

The T-Rex ate all of them and then starved to death, obviously!
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @sarevok57
    To be fair I'm a adult and even I don't know how big effing numbers work, what comes after a trillion? I don't know! Should I care? I don't see why not seeing how I've never even entered the ten thousands on my paycheck.

#foreverpoor
    I love the misconceptions we all had as children. You can SEE the logic behind the thinking.
    DragonKing wrote: »
    @sarevok57
    To be fair I'm a adult and even I don't know how big effing numbers work, what comes after a trillion? I don't know! Should I care? I don't see why not seeing how I've never even entered the ten thousands on my paycheck.

#foreverpoor

It's quadrillion, on the off-chance you were genuinely curious. ;) That said, not even the global total wealth on planet Earth has hit the quadrillion mark yet, so yeah, there's no PRACTICAL reason to care at the moment. XD
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Zaxares wrote: »
    DragonKing wrote: »
    @sarevok57

#foreverpoor

It's quadrillion, on the off-chance you were genuinely curious. ;) That said, not even the global total wealth on planet Earth has hit the quadrillion mark yet, so yeah, there's no PRACTICAL reason to care at the moment. XD

well unless we want to start counting small things like bacteria, molecules or even atoms, i believe there is around sextillion amount of atoms in 1 grain of sand ( sextillion = 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 )

and even in the average human body you have trillions of cells
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    It always confused me that what I would call a biljon in my native Swedish is in fact a trillion in English, while a billion in English is what you'd call a miljard in Swedish.

Turns out we're using two different systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah, if im not mistaken i think french does something on the same lines, although i don't remember since my french is a bit rusty
    edited January 2020
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    well unless we want to start counting small things like bacteria, molecules or even atoms, i believe there is around sextillion amount of atoms in 1 grain of sand ( sextillion = 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 )

and even in the average human body you have trillions of cells

Good answer! As I said though, no PRACTICAL reason. XD
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    JoenSo wrote: »
    It always confused me that what I would call a biljon in my native Swedish is in fact a trillion in English, while a billion in English is what you'd call a miljard in Swedish.

Turns out we're using two different systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Same in German. Always baffled me that the American government or some business guy would invest *that* much money.