Skip to content

[Bug] Party member DO NOT comply to their orders the first time !

Comments

• DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2013
    Dafojk said:

Patch had alot of great bugfixes, but this is a far more obvious one then eg. fixing a spelling error on step 6 of a random questline.

Challenge for the devs: I don't think you CAN fix this!

:)

Otherwise it would have been done long ago.

Maybe you're right, the bug is very obvious... and It wasn't in BG1 or BG2.

I hope can be fixed :(
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I also confirm that this bug has not been fixed ... yet ...

@Aosaw says that they are on it. Let's just hope it's for the next patch....
    Mera said:

I can confirm this is still present as of patch 2012 and it really needs to be fix asap.
    Fixing items and NPCs is important, don't get me wrong but bugs affecting core gameplay ie point and click should really be top top priority.

That's why it's so important to fix it, yes !
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited January 2013
    Dafojk said:

Challenge for the devs: I don't think you CAN fix this!

Oh! Ohhh, you are a smart one! I understand now! You said what you did just to get the devs mad! Mad enough to fix the bug, HA HA! You are as smart as Boo, sometimes!
  • StygienStygien Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    I have a different, but seemingly related issue. Frequently, when I select my main character and give him an order (this only occurs with my main character), he will begin to carry it out for a few seconds and then stop.

When moving, this means I have to click the desired area multiple times before he arrives. This is not the same as others' complaints that a character will not react until you've clicked twice. Rather, my issue is that--even after one click--he responds and then "forgets" what I said to do.

This also happens with combat and with talking to other characters. He will begin to attack and then stop. Or he will move to talk to someone and stop moving before he gets within range.

Sometimes a similar problem occurs when looting slain enemies. I will give the command, the inventory windows will open at the bottom, and then a second later they will inexplicably close again.

None of these occurrences are that rare, either. I do not recall whether it was happening when I first started playing or if it started happening later, but this has been a continuous problem for weeks, at least--certainly since before the latest patch.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Stygien said:

I have a different, but seemingly related issue. Frequently, when I select my main character and give him an order (this only occurs with my main character), he will begin to carry it out for a few seconds and then stop.

When moving, this means I have to click the desired area multiple times before he arrives. This is not the same as others' complaints that a character will not react until you've clicked twice. Rather, my issue is that--even after one click--he responds and then "forgets" what I said to do.

This also happens with combat and with talking to other characters. He will begin to attack and then stop. Or he will move to talk to someone and stop moving before he gets within range.

Sometimes a similar problem occurs when looting slain enemies. I will give the command, the inventory windows will open at the bottom, and then a second later they will inexplicably close again.

None of these occurrences are that rare, either. I do not recall whether it was happening when I first started playing or if it started happening later, but this has been a continuous problem for weeks, at least--certainly since before the latest patch.

Weird. Are you using an AI script? If so, maybe try choosing another one, like the standard attack script, or disabling AI altogether, and see if that's the problem.
  • StygienStygien Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, yes, that seems to have solved the problem.
    It does not solves the problem...

Currently, even with deactivated AI, the problem is still here.
    @Aasimar069 They were talking about a different problem. I can confirm that the problem the topic title refers to is indeed still there regardless of player character AI settings.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yes - two distinct problems:

1) Click, party starts to act, then stops. I'm pretty sure this one has been addressed. (This is an AI problem)
    2) Quickly* clicking on the ground after selecting a character sometimes results in the character being selected again instead of moving. This one has been reported, but is still open. (This is an engine problem)

*Definition of "quickly" varies with the performance of your computer.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Still present I can confirm.
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    After selecting a character, I have to click two or more times to send him on his way. This is not the case in the other IE-games.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    @Adul
    Aha! You saw what I did there.. mmhmm, damn I'm busted. You sir are very wise.

Still think this would have been fixed if it was doable.

Btw Is this bug even listed in the other thread with the list of known bugs and other issues?
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/public-bugs-bgee
    Yep, and it is in the summary thread. And there are a couple variations on the theme in the tracker.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7788/bug-party-member-do-not-comply-to-their-orders-the-first-time/p1

My guess is that it is something they can fix, but it is down low on the priority list.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    Thanks Cerevant good to know. It would surprise me if this was low on priority list since it affects basic gameplay. Its like counter strike where every 2nd shot isent fired.
    Let me clarify - as I mentioned above, there are really two problems.

The AI problem has been worked on and is possibly fixed...I haven't investigated this in detail, but havne't seen it myself...but the bottom line is that you can turn off AI and the problem goes away. This is a bigger deal for some than others...I never played with the AI on before beta testing.

As for the quick-click issue:
    * Can work around it with right-click
    * I don't know how common the play style is where the clicks are close enough together to cause this problem. I know that I usually set my move target a good distance in front of my party, and I could only reproduce this if I clicked a few steps in front of them.

I honestly don't have inside info on why this issue is on hold, but what I can say is (from Tweets and comments and announcements on this forum):
    * The scripting team is bigger than the engine team
    * The engine guys have been wrapped up in major stuff, like:
    - Crash bugs on all platforms
    - Multiplayer issues
    - Major Mac issues
    - Mac launcher
    - Renderer rewrite
    - Resource handling (Android)

Given how they have prioritized, I'd guess that more people are affected by the renderer performance issues than this issue. It isn't forgotten, it just isn't at the top of the list yet.
    Adul said:

@Aasimar069 They were talking about a different problem. I can confirm that the problem the topic title refers to is indeed still there regardless of player character AI settings.

I know this is a distinct problem ;-)

I have created two different threads concerning these two problems. ^_^

Argh, this is extremely frustrating. Every time I play BG:EE I am sadly reminded of this issue and I get worked up about it. To me, it makes the game nigh unplayable. I mean, come on, you introduced it, now you solve it. ... I'll try to mind myself.

Can any mod/dev give us any indication of whether this is being worked on, whether we can expect a fix in the next update, or if not, when can we expect a fix? The silence is infuriating.
    It is being worked on, it won't be in the next update (1.0.2013) but might be in the following update (1.0.2014)
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    It's strange a bug that wasn't present before, and It is so difficult to fix.
    Thanks, @Cerevant. That's not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but I'll take any scrap of hope that this bug will one day be fixed.
    As far as I know, the bug has always been present. Apparently isn't difficult to fix (my understanding is that it is a set delay) but there are fewer engine developers than content developers, and the higher priority engine bugs have been difficult to solve.
    Well neither of the original games had this bug, I am quite certain of that. It was introduced in BG:EE. I've always been under the impression that it is a byproduct of the implementation of touchscreen support, but of course that's just a guess on my part.
    Sorry - didn't mean to imply that it was in the original. It just has (nearly?) always be in EE.
    edited February 2013
    Cerevant said:

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that it was in the original. It just has (nearly?) always be in EE.

This sounds a bit "Captain Obvious", since I have reported the bug the evening after the release of the EE edition ;-)

• Boy495Boy495 Member Posts: 7
    I've been waiting since December for this bug to be fixed so I can start playing. I bought it during the holidays hoping to re-visit this game and enjoy it. Instead, I had to play Civilization. :) The game is too battle oriented to even attempt to play when your party members will only obey half the time (I'm a fast clicker). It's like having a jump button that sticks on an NES controller. It's going to ruin your game, so why bother? Hurmph.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Boy495
    Umm, you know you can solve the fast-click problem simply by issuing move commands with a right-click, right? Still a bit of a nuisance, and still worthy of a fix, but I can't see why it would stop you from playing altogether.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    @TJ_Hooker
    Actually I never got used to this right-click solution. Although I did kind of get used to the bug. It's all about slow clicking. Still soo looking forward to the fix though.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    The same the OP relates has happened to me while in combat. It is rather annoying
    The solution for attacking is to turn off the Party AI (Lantern, bottom right)